|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bart told his "real" father's name is?
2. What is Bart offered instead of a pony?
3. After meeting with the old woman in the mansion for the first time, Jory thinks that two _____ are more than enough.
4. What does Chris throw out of the attic windows in the chapter titled Jory?
5. What gift from his grandmother does Bart find waiting for him in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Jory been told of his mother's past?
2. What is on the oil painting that the old woman next door shows to Jory?
3. Describe Bart's experience with the two baby chicks when he was four years old.
4. Describe Bart.
5. Why does Bart's grandmother tell Bart never to run away from his parents?
6. What does the rich woman from next door look like?
7. How does Bart's knee get infected?
8. Describe Malcolm's encounter with Violet Blue from his journal.
9. Describe Jory.
10. What is Bart doing with Cathy's manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the prologue the narrator says, "I found a strand of silver in my hair today, reminding me that soon I might be a grandmother, and I shuddered." Identify the character, and explain her reaction to this natural occurrence from what is discovered about her within the book.
Essay Topic 2
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the few of Bart's thoughts from his narration that have a profound and surprising insight. What is he referring to when he thinks it? What broader meanings do these thoughts have, and how do they apply to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)