|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cathy and Chris are arguing in the chapter titled Sugar and Spice, who does Cathy say she took Bart from?
2. What is the name of the man Jory begins to remember from before Daddy Paul?
3. Who is Cathy's third husband?
4. What do Jory and Bart plant to honor Uncle Cory's and Aunt Carrie's birthday?
5. When Jory runs into the garden after overhearing his parents' argument, what statue does he cry under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bart in the hospital?
2. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
3. How does Chris try to mend his relationship with Jory, after Jory discovers his secret?
4. Describe Bart.
5. What is Bart doing with Cathy's manuscript?
6. How does Bart get within hearing distance of Corrine and Chris's conversation in the mansion without being discovered?
7. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
8. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
9. Describe Cathy's first encounter with Corrine.
10. Describe the conditions of Corrine and Cathy's imprisonment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast characters. Who share the most similarities? Who share the most contrast? How do contrasting characters clash in the novel? What are interactions like between similar characters? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Bart's obsession with death. Does he really desire death? Does he want his mother to die? Does he wish for Apple's death? What does the idea of death mean to Bart?
Essay Topic 3
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)