|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rich woman was married to Bart's _________.
2. What does Bart hate visiting when his family vacations in the East?
3. In the chapter titled Shadows, Bart thinks pretending to be an _________ is tiring.
4. Where does Bart's grandmother tell him her son ran away to in the chapter, My Heart's Desire?
5. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mansion when Bart and Jory explore it before it before the renovations.
2. What does John Amos teach Bart during their first lesson?
3. What happens to the ballet after Cathy falls?
4. Describe Madame Marisha's concerns about Chris and Cathy's living arrangement.
5. Why does Bart's grandmother tell Bart never to run away from his parents?
6. How does Jory feel about Chris once they reconcile over the family secret?
7. Describe Jory.
8. Bart compares his part of the garden to Jory's. Explain what he sees.
9. Describe Bart.
10. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Bart's initial duality multiplies with John Amos's coaching. How does Bart's skill at make-believe add to his confusion? Is Malcolm's personality a pretense for Bart? Which personality dominates in the last three chapters? Explain how John Amos' coaching has permanently affected Bart
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast characters. Who share the most similarities? Who share the most contrast? How do contrasting characters clash in the novel? What are interactions like between similar characters? Cite examples.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)