Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boys first see the rich woman next door, what color is she wearing?
2. Whose life does Cathy say she might have saved the only time she'd been right?
3. In the chapter titled Shadows, Bart thinks pretending to be an _________ is tiring.
4. What food does Bart's pet refuse to eat when Bart first tries to feed him?
5. What does Jory overhear his mother calling Chris in the chapter titled Sugar and Spice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Madame Marisha's questions, when she first arrives, make Cathy uncomfortable?
2. What does Bart believe will happen to him if he reads the journal that was given to him?
3. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
4. Describe John Amos.
5. What is Cathy most concerned about as she is wheeled to an ambulance?
6. What does Bart discover about Chris during and after his hospital stay?
7. What does Corrine say she wants during her first confrontation with Chris?
8. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
9. Why does Jory agree not to tell his parents about Apple?
10. How has John Amos prepared to incriminate Bart for his mother's and grandmother's deaths?
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Bart feels inferior to Jory. How does this determine Bart's behavior around Jory? In what ways are Bart's feelings justified? In what ways are they not justified? Give examples
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's method of conveying information to the reader. Cite examples. Who is better informed, the reader or the narrator? How does the author's method of conveying information further the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)