|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jory's family's one servant?
2. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
3. What pieces of furniture does Chris see in the attic that upsets him?
4. What is the Sheffield's pet dog named?
5. What did Bart accidentally kill by squeezing too tight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bart upset with Apple after he returns home from the hospital?
2. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
3. Why is Cathy so concerned over her injured ballet student?
4. What are Bart's explanations for the kitten's bones in his yard?
5. How does Bart react to the news that Cindy is his new sister?
6. Describe Bart in the last three chapters.
7. How does Bart's knee get infected?
8. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
9. Why doesn't Bart want his grandmother to feed Apple while Bart is in Disneyland?
10. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Bart needs the most attention from his mother. Give examples of how this need presents itself. How does Bart fight this need for his mother? What substitutes does he use for her attention?
Essay Topic 3
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)