|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bart say when he meets Cindy?
2. When Cathy and Chris are arguing in the chapter titled Sugar and Spice, who does Cathy say she took Bart from?
3. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
4. What gift from his grandmother does Bart find waiting for him in the barn?
5. In the chapter titled Shadows, Bart thinks pretending to be an _________ is tiring.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rich woman offer Bart when he first comes to visit her?
2. How does Bart react to the news that Cindy is his new sister?
3. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
4. Describe Madame Marisha's concerns about Chris and Cathy's living arrangement.
5. Describe what Chris and Jory see when they find Cathy in the attic in the first chapter.
6. How has John Amos prepared to incriminate Bart for his mother's and grandmother's deaths?
7. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
8. What is on the oil painting that the old woman next door shows to Jory?
9. Why does Bart's grandmother tell Bart never to run away from his parents?
10. Describe Cathy's first encounter with Corrine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the benefits of each narrator. Which narration is stronger? Who is a more reliable narrator? Who is a more insightful narrator? Which narrator's voice feels more authentic? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast characters. Who share the most similarities? Who share the most contrast? How do contrasting characters clash in the novel? What are interactions like between similar characters? Cite examples.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)