|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pieces of furniture does Chris see in the attic that upsets him?
2. What does Bart say when he meets Cindy?
3. When Jory is trapped in the attic, watching his parents, what does he feel ashamed for doing?
4. What is the Sheffield's pet dog named?
5. Which state does Jory's family visit every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bart's experience with the two baby chicks when he was four years old.
2. Describe Bart.
3. What does John Amos teach Bart during their first lesson?
4. Describe Madame Marisha.
5. What is Bart imagining when he is hidden in the garden with his painful, infected knee?
6. How does Bart react to the news that Cindy is his new sister?
7. What happens to Bart in the hospital?
8. Why is Bart upset with Apple after he returns home from the hospital?
9. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
10. Why does Bart prefer Apple over Clover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Bart a target for John Amos and Corrine? What are Bart's vulnerabilities that work to his detriment with John Amos? What effects do John Amos's and Corrine's interferences have on Bart?
Essay Topic 2
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Identify symbols in the book. Go into detail about what each symbol means to the reader and to the different characters. Which symbol is most present?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)