|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bart's grandmother tell him her son ran away to in the chapter, My Heart's Desire?
2. Who does Bart dream is leaving him?
3. Who does Bart's grandmother tell Bart to stay away from in My Heart's Desire?
4. When remembering her wedding with Paul, what does Cathy say the minister had to urge Chris to do?
5. What dance moves does Cathy do around Chris after he discovers her in the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bart's first psychiatrist describe Bart to his parents?
2. What kind of dreams does Bart have about his mother?
3. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
4. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
5. What is Bart imagining when he is hidden in the garden with his painful, infected knee?
6. Why doesn't Bart want his grandmother to feed Apple while Bart is in Disneyland?
7. What happens to Bart in the hospital?
8. How does Chris try to mend his relationship with Jory, after Jory discovers his secret?
9. What is Cathy writing about?
10. Why is Jory upset by what he overhears between Madame Marisha and Cathy in the chapter titled The Terrible Truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Bart a target for John Amos and Corrine? What are Bart's vulnerabilities that work to his detriment with John Amos? What effects do John Amos's and Corrine's interferences have on Bart?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the mood of certain settings. Explain how this mood is proved or justified in the story, giving examples. What descriptive phrases establish the mood? How does mood enhance the reader's understanding?
Essay Topic 3
Plot out the cycle of abuses in the Foxworth family and how these abuses perpetuate more. How are the different characters affected? Is the cycle ended? How can it end? What different forms does the abuse take?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)