|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jory has to ride the bus home from school, what does he hide in the ravine?
2. What does Bart try to train his new pet to be?
3. Jory thinks that no one should be given more attention than _____.
4. What does Bart's birth defect prevent him from doing?
5. In My Heart's Desire, what does John Amos tell Bart being clever is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bart attack Cindy in her pool?
2. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
3. How does Bart describe the death of his real father to Jory?
4. Why doesn't Bart want his grandmother to feed Apple while Bart is in Disneyland?
5. What has Jory been told of his mother's past?
6. Why is Bart upset with Apple after he returns home from the hospital?
7. What is Cathy writing about?
8. Describe what Chris and Jory see when they find Cathy in the attic in the first chapter.
9. What does Corrine say she wants during her first confrontation with Chris?
10. What does Bart do with Cindy once they return from the mansion together without Cathy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the few of Bart's thoughts from his narration that have a profound and surprising insight. What is he referring to when he thinks it? What broader meanings do these thoughts have, and how do they apply to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
Essay Topic 3
Plot out the cycle of abuses in the Foxworth family and how these abuses perpetuate more. How are the different characters affected? Is the cycle ended? How can it end? What different forms does the abuse take?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)