|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In My Heart's Desire, what does John Amos whisper of when he leads Bart to his cubby-hole?
2. What color is Cathy's skimpy halter-top that she wears, to Bart's disapproval, while pushing Cindy in a baby swing?
3. What is the name of the man Jory begins to remember from before Daddy Paul?
4. When Bart's grandmother pokes her head over the wall to remind him to feed his pet, what does she find him over?
5. Who is Emma talking about in the chapter titled Shadows when she says, "Isn't she a living doll?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rich woman from next door look like?
2. Describe Madame Marisha's concerns about Chris and Cathy's living arrangement.
3. What does Bart believe will happen to him if he reads the journal that was given to him?
4. What happens to Bart in the hospital?
5. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
6. Why does Bart's grandmother tell Bart never to run away from his parents?
7. Why is Jory upset by what he overhears between Madame Marisha and Cathy in the chapter titled The Terrible Truth?
8. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
9. Why is Cathy so concerned over her injured ballet student?
10. What is Bart imagining when he is hidden in the garden with his painful, infected knee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Bart's obsession with death. Does he really desire death? Does he want his mother to die? Does he wish for Apple's death? What does the idea of death mean to Bart?
Essay Topic 2
Bart's initial duality multiplies with John Amos's coaching. How does Bart's skill at make-believe add to his confusion? Is Malcolm's personality a pretense for Bart? Which personality dominates in the last three chapters? Explain how John Amos' coaching has permanently affected Bart
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each chapter title relates to the material in the chapter. What purpose do the chapter titles serve? How do they aid in telling of the story? Which ones have more than one meaning for the contents of the chapter? Explain the different meanings.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)