|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In My Heart's Desire, what does John Amos whisper of when he leads Bart to his cubby-hole?
2. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
3. When the mansion was abandoned what would Bart and Jory try to save by opening the mansion doors?
4. In Malcolm's journal, Malcolm's father has him strip naked, whips him, and then locks him in the attic for what offense?
5. What does Bart's birth defect prevent him from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
2. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
3. Describe the mansion when Bart and Jory explore it before it before the renovations.
4. Why is Bart upset with Apple after he returns home from the hospital?
5. How does Jory feel about Chris through the majority of the novel?
6. How does Bart first react to the puppy his grandmother gives him?
7. What is Bart doing with Cathy's manuscript?
8. According to the journal, why did Malcolm distrust women?
9. Under what conditions does Jory find Apple when he notices the dog has not barked to announce Jory's presence?
10. How does Bart describe the death of his real father to Jory?
Essay Topic 1
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue the narrator says, "I found a strand of silver in my hair today, reminding me that soon I might be a grandmother, and I shuddered." Identify the character, and explain her reaction to this natural occurrence from what is discovered about her within the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bart's initial duality multiplies with John Amos's coaching. How does Bart's skill at make-believe add to his confusion? Is Malcolm's personality a pretense for Bart? Which personality dominates in the last three chapters? Explain how John Amos' coaching has permanently affected Bart
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)