|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the mansion is under renovation, who tells the boys to stay off the wall?
2. What pieces of furniture does Chris see in the attic that upsets him?
3. What does Bart try to train his new pet to be?
4. What does Bart hate visiting when his family vacations in the East?
5. What name does Jory hear the rich woman cry, when he climbs the oak tree after crying under a statue?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
2. What is Cathy most concerned about as she is wheeled to an ambulance?
3. Bart compares his part of the garden to Jory's. Explain what he sees.
4. Describe what Chris and Jory see when they find Cathy in the attic in the first chapter.
5. What does the rich woman offer Bart when he first comes to visit her?
6. What does John Amos teach Bart during their first lesson?
7. Describe Bart.
8. How does Chris try to mend his relationship with Jory, after Jory discovers his secret?
9. Describe Cathy's first encounter with Corrine.
10. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bart's initial duality multiplies with John Amos's coaching. How does Bart's skill at make-believe add to his confusion? Is Malcolm's personality a pretense for Bart? Which personality dominates in the last three chapters? Explain how John Amos' coaching has permanently affected Bart
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Bart needs the most attention from his mother. Give examples of how this need presents itself. How does Bart fight this need for his mother? What substitutes does he use for her attention?
Essay Topic 3
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)