|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bart offered instead of a pony?
2. What food does Bart's pet refuse to eat when Bart first tries to feed him?
3. In the beginning of the novel, in the attic, Chris assures Cathy that _______ is dead.
4. What does Bart hate visiting when his family vacations in the East?
5. What gift from his grandmother does Bart find waiting for him in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bart compares his part of the garden to Jory's. Explain what he sees.
2. How has John Amos prepared to incriminate Bart for his mother's and grandmother's deaths?
3. How does Bart first react to the puppy his grandmother gives him?
4. Describe the conditions of Corrine and Cathy's imprisonment.
5. Describe Malcolm's encounter with Violet Blue from his journal.
6. How does Bart react to the news that Cindy is his new sister?
7. What is Bart imagining when he is hidden in the garden with his painful, infected knee?
8. What are Bart's explanations for the kitten's bones in his yard?
9. What does Bart believe will happen to him if he reads the journal that was given to him?
10. What does Bart discover about Chris during and after his hospital stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the mood of certain settings. Explain how this mood is proved or justified in the story, giving examples. What descriptive phrases establish the mood? How does mood enhance the reader's understanding?
Essay Topic 2
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each chapter title relates to the material in the chapter. What purpose do the chapter titles serve? How do they aid in telling of the story? Which ones have more than one meaning for the contents of the chapter? Explain the different meanings.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)