|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jory's father?
2. In My Heart's Desire, what does John Amos tell Bart being clever is?
3. When Jory runs into the garden after overhearing his parents' argument, what statue does he cry under?
4. What does Madame Marisha want Jory to call her in public?
5. What does Chris worry about adopting a child when Cathy reveals that she's already had the papers signed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions of Corrine and Cathy's imprisonment.
2. What does Jory notice about his parents when he considers what his teacher said about likes being attracted to one another more than opposites?
3. What does Corrine say she wants during her first confrontation with Chris?
4. Bart compares his part of the garden to Jory's. Explain what he sees.
5. Why doesn't Bart want his grandmother to feed Apple while Bart is in Disneyland?
6. How does Jory feel about Chris through the majority of the novel?
7. Describe Bart.
8. Describe Jory's memories of Madame Marisha.
9. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
10. How does Bart describe the death of his real father to Jory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Bart feels inferior to Jory. How does this determine Bart's behavior around Jory? In what ways are Bart's feelings justified? In what ways are they not justified? Give examples
Essay Topic 2
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Plot out the cycle of abuses in the Foxworth family and how these abuses perpetuate more. How are the different characters affected? Is the cycle ended? How can it end? What different forms does the abuse take?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)