|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boys first see the rich woman next door, what color is she wearing?
2. What is the name of Cathy's attorney?
3. When Bart's grandmother pokes her head over the wall to remind him to feed his pet, what does she find him over?
4. Who is Jory's father?
5. While conversing with Cathy in the attic, what does Chris say "often leads to reality?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bart first react to the puppy his grandmother gives him?
2. What happens to the ballet after Cathy falls?
3. Why is Jory upset by what he overhears between Madame Marisha and Cathy in the chapter titled The Terrible Truth?
4. What does Bart discover about Chris during and after his hospital stay?
5. How does Bart's knee get infected?
6. How does Bart attack Cindy in her pool?
7. What does the rich woman from next door look like?
8. Why doesn't Bart want his grandmother to feed Apple while Bart is in Disneyland?
9. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
10. How has John Amos prepared to incriminate Bart for his mother's and grandmother's deaths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each chapter title relates to the material in the chapter. What purpose do the chapter titles serve? How do they aid in telling of the story? Which ones have more than one meaning for the contents of the chapter? Explain the different meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the few of Bart's thoughts from his narration that have a profound and surprising insight. What is he referring to when he thinks it? What broader meanings do these thoughts have, and how do they apply to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)