|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jory has to ride the bus home from school, what does he hide in the ravine?
2. What is the Sheffield's pet dog named?
3. During their attic scene, how old does Chris say Cathy was when he knew her?
4. What does Bart's birth defect prevent him from doing?
5. What is the name of Jory's family's one servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the ballet after Cathy falls?
2. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
3. Describe Madame Marisha.
4. What does Bart do with Cindy once they return from the mansion together without Cathy?
5. Describe the conditions of Corrine and Cathy's imprisonment.
6. How does Bart get within hearing distance of Corrine and Chris's conversation in the mansion without being discovered?
7. How does Bart attack Cindy in her pool?
8. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
9. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
10. Describe Cathy's first encounter with Corrine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Bart a target for John Amos and Corrine? What are Bart's vulnerabilities that work to his detriment with John Amos? What effects do John Amos's and Corrine's interferences have on Bart?
Essay Topic 2
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the mood of certain settings. Explain how this mood is proved or justified in the story, giving examples. What descriptive phrases establish the mood? How does mood enhance the reader's understanding?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)