|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bart pretending to be when he first meets the rich woman?
2. In the chapter titled Shadows, Bart thinks pretending to be an _________ is tiring.
3. When Jory has to ride the bus home from school, what does he hide in the ravine?
4. What is Bart told his "real" father's name is?
5. What does the rich woman tell Bart to call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rich woman from next door look like?
2. Why is Cathy so concerned over her injured ballet student?
3. Describe Bart.
4. What does John Amos teach Bart during their first lesson?
5. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
6. What is Cathy writing about?
7. Under what conditions does Jory find Apple when he notices the dog has not barked to announce Jory's presence?
8. Describe Malcolm's encounter with Violet Blue from his journal.
9. How does Jory feel about Chris once they reconcile over the family secret?
10. What is on the oil painting that the old woman next door shows to Jory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Bart's obsession with death. Does he really desire death? Does he want his mother to die? Does he wish for Apple's death? What does the idea of death mean to Bart?
Essay Topic 2
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)