|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jory comes home from ballet class early to speak with Bart, who does Jory find Bart with?
2. What is the Sheffield's pet dog named?
3. While conversing with Cathy in the attic, what does Chris say "often leads to reality?"
4. Who does Jory think his parents show their most fervent side to?
5. What does Jory overhear his mother calling Chris in the chapter titled Sugar and Spice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bart.
2. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
3. How does Corrine attempt to hide her identity from Chris when he first confronts her?
4. How does Bart attack Cindy in her pool?
5. What does Bart discover about Chris during and after his hospital stay?
6. What happens to the ballet after Cathy falls?
7. Describe Malcolm's encounter with Violet Blue from his journal.
8. How does Chris try to mend his relationship with Jory, after Jory discovers his secret?
9. According to the journal, why did Malcolm distrust women?
10. Why does Jory agree not to tell his parents about Apple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify examples of foreshadowing in the book. Explain what each example foreshadows and how it comes to fruition.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Bart needs the most attention from his mother. Give examples of how this need presents itself. How does Bart fight this need for his mother? What substitutes does he use for her attention?
Essay Topic 3
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)