|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter titled Shadows, Bart thinks pretending to be an _________ is tiring.
2. What does Jory overhear his mother calling Chris in the chapter titled Sugar and Spice?
3. What do Jory and Bart plant to honor Uncle Cory's and Aunt Carrie's birthday?
4. When the boys first see the rich woman next door, what color is she wearing?
5. What is the name of Jory's family's one servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Amos.
2. What is Cathy writing about?
3. How does Bart react to the news that Cindy is his new sister?
4. Describe Madame Marisha.
5. What does Bart do when Cindy is playing alone in her sandbox?
6. What does the rich woman offer Bart when he first comes to visit her?
7. What does Chris help Cathy do when she learns she can never dance again?
8. What does Corrine say she wants during her first confrontation with Chris?
9. Under what conditions does Jory find Apple when he notices the dog has not barked to announce Jory's presence?
10. According to the journal, why did Malcolm distrust women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the prologue the narrator says, "I found a strand of silver in my hair today, reminding me that soon I might be a grandmother, and I shuddered." Identify the character, and explain her reaction to this natural occurrence from what is discovered about her within the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's method of conveying information to the reader. Cite examples. Who is better informed, the reader or the narrator? How does the author's method of conveying information further the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)