|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cathy's injured ballet student?
2. In the first chapter, what leads Chris and Jory upstairs?
3. Cindy is Jory's _______.
4. Who invites Bart to the mansion first?
5. What does Bart's birth defect prevent him from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bart in the hospital?
2. Why does Bart's grandmother tell Bart never to run away from his parents?
3. What earthy pleasures does Malcolm describe doing in his journal?
4. According to the journal, why did Malcolm distrust women?
5. Describe Malcolm's encounter with Violet Blue from his journal.
6. What does Bart do with Cindy once they return from the mansion together without Cathy?
7. What are Bart's explanations for the kitten's bones in his yard?
8. What is Cathy most concerned about as she is wheeled to an ambulance?
9. What does Chris explain to Corrine that Bart does to make up for being unskilled?
10. What is Bart doing with Cathy's manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apply the title to the characters. Who does it apply to? How is it present in the novel? What are the roses? Give examples of what the title describes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Bart a target for John Amos and Corrine? What are Bart's vulnerabilities that work to his detriment with John Amos? What effects do John Amos's and Corrine's interferences have on Bart?
Essay Topic 3
Recognize a theme in the novel. Which scenes exemplify the theme? What other themes can be found? Which characters are used to demonstrate theme?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)