|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
2. After meeting with the old woman in the mansion for the first time, Jory thinks that two _____ are more than enough.
3. What do Jory and Bart plant to honor Uncle Cory's and Aunt Carrie's birthday?
4. How old does Bart tell his grandmother he'll be turning on his next birthday?
5. When Chris is in the attic with Cathy and Jory, what does he say has been burned to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bart upset with Apple after he returns home from the hospital?
2. What does Chris help Cathy do when she learns she can never dance again?
3. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
4. What does Bart do with Cindy once they return from the mansion together without Cathy?
5. What does the rich woman from next door look like?
6. Bart compares his part of the garden to Jory's. Explain what he sees.
7. How does Bart attack Cindy in her pool?
8. Describe Madame Marisha's concerns about Chris and Cathy's living arrangement.
9. Describe Cathy's first encounter with Corrine.
10. What does Corrine say she wants during her first confrontation with Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's method of conveying information to the reader. Cite examples. Who is better informed, the reader or the narrator? How does the author's method of conveying information further the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the intricacies of and history behind Chris and Cathy's relationship. Why is their relationship so secretive? Do they see their relationship the way the world does? How do they justify it to themselves and to their children? What effect does this relationship have on their family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each chapter title relates to the material in the chapter. What purpose do the chapter titles serve? How do they aid in telling of the story? Which ones have more than one meaning for the contents of the chapter? Explain the different meanings.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)