|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bart's grandmother promises Bart his heart's desire as she rocks him in her rocking chair, what uncharacteristic thing does Bart suddenly want?
(a) A puppy pony.
(b) A walking cane.
(c) A trip to Disneyland.
(d) Piles of money.
2. Who does Jory think his parents show their most fervent side to?
(a) Each other.
(b) Their friends.
(c) Madame Marisha.
(d) Their children.
3. When Jory is eavesdropping on his parents' argument downstairs, Cathy asks Chris if she reminds him of _______.
(a) Madame Marisha.
4. After meeting with the old woman in the mansion for the first time, Jory thinks that two _____ are more than enough.
(c) Elderly Neighbors.
5. In Malcolm's journal, Malcolm's father has him strip naked, whips him, and then locks him in the attic for what offense?
(a) Smoking his father's tobacco.
(b) Destroying his mother's childhood pictures.
(c) Hiding when his father called for him.
(d) Shredding his mother's old corsets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bart say when he meets Cindy?
2. Which state does Jory's family visit every year?
3. What is the rich woman hiding beneath her veil?
4. At the beginning of the chapter called My Heart's Desire, Bart says that Cindy is wicked for what?
5. In the first chapter, what leads Chris and Jory upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris help Cathy do when she learns she can never dance again?
2. How does Jory feel about Chris once they reconcile over the family secret?
3. Describe Bart's experience with the two baby chicks when he was four years old.
4. What kind of dreams does Bart have about his mother?
5. Describe the conditions of Corrine and Cathy's imprisonment.
6. How does Jory find Apple when he checks on him during Bart's hospitalization?
7. How does Jory feel about Chris through the majority of the novel?
8. How has John Amos prepared to incriminate Bart for his mother's and grandmother's deaths?
9. What are Bart's explanations for the kitten's bones in his yard?
10. In Sugar and Spice, what has Cathy done without first conferring with Chris?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)