|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After meeting with the old woman in the mansion for the first time, Jory thinks that two _____ are more than enough.
(d) Elderly Neighbors.
2. When the boys first see the rich woman next door, what color is she wearing?
3. Jory thinks that no one should be given more attention than _____.
4. When Jory is eavesdropping on his parents' argument downstairs, Cathy asks Chris if she reminds him of _______.
(a) Madame Marisha.
5. What is Bart offered instead of a pony?
(a) St. Bernard.
(b) Persian cat.
6. Cindy is Jory's _______.
(b) Dance partner.
7. How old does Bart tell his grandmother he'll be turning on his next birthday?
8. What is the name of Cathy's injured ballet student?
9. What pieces of furniture does Chris see in the attic that upsets him?
(b) Twin beds.
(c) Table lamps.
(d) Wooden chests.
10. What is Bart pretending to be when he first meets the rich woman?
(a) Submarine commander.
(c) Mountain climber.
11. What is the name of Jory's family's one servant?
(a) John Amos.
12. What is the narrator in the prologue sitting by?
(a) A window in the mansion.
(b) Rose bushes.
(c) Paul's statues.
(d) The wall.
13. What does Chris throw out of the attic windows in the chapter titled Jory?
(b) Paper flowers.
(c) Shreds of an old photo.
(d) Picnic hamper.
14. In Malcolm's journal, Malcolm's father has him strip naked, whips him, and then locks him in the attic for what offense?
(a) Hiding when his father called for him.
(b) Smoking his father's tobacco.
(c) Shredding his mother's old corsets.
(d) Destroying his mother's childhood pictures.
15. In the first chapter, what leads Chris and Jory upstairs?
(a) Glass breaking.
(c) Trapped bird.
(d) Ballet music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Cathy's skimpy halter-top that she wears, to Bart's disapproval, while pushing Cindy in a baby swing?
2. Who is Emma talking about in the chapter titled Shadows when she says, "Isn't she a living doll?"
3. At the beginning of the chapter called My Heart's Desire, Bart says that Cindy is wicked for what?
4. What name does Jory hear the rich woman cry, when he climbs the oak tree after crying under a statue?
5. When the mansion was abandoned what would Bart and Jory try to save by opening the mansion doors?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)