|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the reader find the key to Ludmilla's house?
2. What is the man obsessed with in "In a Network of Lines that Intersect"?
3. What does Miyagi want the young man to gather for them in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
4. Where is the reader when his book his confiscated?
5. What is the name of the woman being held hostage in "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
2. Describe the story "What Story Down There Awaits Its End?"
3. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
4. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
5. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
6. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
7. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
8. Describe the book "In a Network of Lines that Intersect."
9. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
10. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marana and Flannery. How are these two characters similar and different? How do they have different but similar goals? How are both reflections of the author, Calvino?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)