|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marana often do to delay his submissions?
2. What is the name of the author who believes he was plagiarized by Flannery?
3. What is the one thing Marana could not stand about his former lover?
4. Where does the reader find the key to Ludmilla's house?
5. What does OEPHLW stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
2. Why does the reader accept the assignment in Chapter 10?
3. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
4. How does Flannery view his readers?
5. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
6. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
7. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
8. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
9. Describe the book "In a Network of Lines that Intersect."
10. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marana and Flannery. How are these two characters similar and different? How do they have different but similar goals? How are both reflections of the author, Calvino?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)