|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon," who is the young man's teacher?
2. Who once had a personal relationship with Marana, according to Irnerio?
3. What does Lotaria tell the second police officer to call her?
4. What is the name of the woman being held hostage in "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
5. What does the man realize while making love to Miyagi in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
2. Describe the story "What Story Down There Awaits Its End?"
3. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
4. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
5. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
6. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
7. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
8. How does Flannery view his readers?
9. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
10. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What events are foreshadowed? What techniques are used to foreshadow events? What foreshadows the marriage between Ludmilla and the reader? Cite one specific example.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)