|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What transition does the reader take in Chapter 10?
2. What does Lotaria tell the second police officer to call her?
3. In "What Story Down There Awaits its End?", what is the name of the woman the main character wants to see?
4. How does the young man feel about Makiko in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
5. Where is the woman from that is held in a chair, forced to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
2. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
3. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
4. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
5. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
6. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
7. Describe the "invisible I" character.
8. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
9. What is the role of the OAP?
10. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Irnerio. What is his role in the novel? At what point does he threaten to stand in the way of the reader's mission? Cite two pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of the reader. What motivates him to keep searching for the "right" book? Is the character particularly likable? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel makes you have an opinion of him?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)