|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the woman from that is held in a chair, forced to read?
2. Who does the reader decide to visit to determine which book is "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
3. Which of the following is Calvino clearly against, as seen in the novel?
4. Who has been determined to be the subject of Marana's letters?
5. What does Miyagi want the young man to gather for them in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
2. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
3. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
4. What is the role of the OAP?
5. How does Flannery view his readers?
6. Describe the "invisible I" character.
7. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
8. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
9. Describe the story "What Story Down There Awaits Its End?"
10. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)