|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flannery mistake for somebody who wants to get to know him personally?
2. What does Miyagi want the young man to gather for them in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
3. According to Irnerio, where would Marana's former lover run to if he returned?
4. Which of the following is Calvino clearly against, as seen in the novel?
5. Of whom does Flannery become jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the OAP?
2. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
3. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
4. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
5. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
6. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
7. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
8. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
9. Describe the "invisible I" character.
10. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of the reader. What motivates him to keep searching for the "right" book? Is the character particularly likable? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel makes you have an opinion of him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)