|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "What Story Down There Awaits its End?", what is the name of the woman the main character wants to see?
2. Why does the Director claim to read?
3. It becomes clear that which character is writing the book we are reading?
4. Which of the following do the man and Okeda discuss after he collects the items in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
5. Who summoned Marana to break off translation of a novel at a suspenseful part?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
2. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
3. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
4. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
5. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
6. Why does the reader accept the assignment in Chapter 10?
7. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
8. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
9. What is the role of the OAP?
10. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is odd about the format in this novel? Why do you think the author chooses to include many small stories within one large story? Is this an effective storytelling method? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)