|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whom is Ludmilla currently romantically interested?
2. To whom is the main character in "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" most similar?
3. In "In a Network of Lines that Intersect," what does the underground want to do with the main character?
4. According to Lotaria, who will win as a result of the world's fakeness?
5. Why can Flannery no longer read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of the reader going from innocent to agent.
2. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
3. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
4. What is the role of the OAP?
5. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
6. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
7. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
8. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
9. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
10. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What events are foreshadowed? What techniques are used to foreshadow events? What foreshadows the marriage between Ludmilla and the reader? Cite one specific example.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)