|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Wings of Light follow?
2. Which character regrets meeting Flannery?
3. What is the man obsessed with in "In a Network of Lines that Intersect"?
4. In "What Story Down There Awaits its End?", where are the agents from who give the main character information?
5. How does Flannery want his readers to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
2. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
3. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
4. Describe the significance of the reader going from innocent to agent.
5. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
6. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
7. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
8. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
9. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
10. What is the role of the OAP?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)