|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irnerio do with books?
2. Against whom does the main character in "Around an Empty Grave" prepare to defend himself?
3. Who does the reader decide to visit to determine which book is "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
4. In "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" why does the man want to erase the world?
5. What transition does the reader take in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
2. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
3. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
4. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
5. Describe the significance of the reader going from innocent to agent.
6. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
7. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
8. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
9. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
10. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)