|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miyagi want the young man to gather for them in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
2. What is the name of the woman being held hostage in "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
3. Who prefers a novel that makes a person uneasy?
4. Whose reading habits do those censoring novels have most in common with?
5. What is the name of Dona Jazmina's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
2. Why does Marana seem like a strange character?
3. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
4. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
5. How does Flannery view his readers?
6. Describe the story "What Story Down There Awaits Its End?"
7. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
8. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
9. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
10. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the books named described in the novel and analyze it. What motivates the characters in this story? What role does diction play? What's more important - plot or characterization? To whose tastes does this book cater?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)