|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman being held hostage in "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
2. Who do the Wings of Shadow follow?
3. In "In a Network of Lines that Intersect," what does the underground want to do with the main character?
4. Why can Flannery no longer read?
5. To what does Flannery compare a reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
2. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
3. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
4. Describe the "invisible I" character.
5. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
6. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
7. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
8. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
9. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
10. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)