|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Ludmilla's book collection?
2. What does the main character in "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" have to fight?
3. In "In a Network of Lines that Intersect," what does the underground want to do with the main character?
4. Who else has visited Flannery?
5. What is the name of the woman being held hostage in "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
2. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
3. Describe the significance of the reader going from innocent to agent.
4. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
5. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
6. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
7. Describe the book "In a Network of Lines that Intersect."
8. What foreshadowing is presented in the reader's desire to visit Flannery?
9. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
10. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the books named described in the novel and analyze it. What motivates the characters in this story? What role does diction play? What's more important - plot or characterization? To whose tastes does this book cater?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)