|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Ludmilla's book collection?
2. What does the man realize while making love to Miyagi in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
3. To what does Flannery compare a reader?
4. What do both wings of the OAP have in common?
5. Who is the writer of "What Story Down There Awaits its End?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story "What Story Down There Awaits Its End?"
2. How does Flannery view his readers?
3. Describe the "invisible I" character.
4. Why does the reader accept the assignment in Chapter 10?
5. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
6. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
7. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
8. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
9. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
10. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)