|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the writer of "What Story Down There Awaits its End?"
2. Who does the reader imagine is the woman Marana describes in his letters?
3. What is the name of Dona Jazmina's daughter?
4. Who has been determined to be the subject of Marana's letters?
5. Whose reading habits do those censoring novels have most in common with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the reader accept the assignment in Chapter 10?
2. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
3. What is the role of the OAP?
4. How does Flannery view his readers?
5. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
6. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
7. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
8. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
9. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
10. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is odd about the format in this novel? Why do you think the author chooses to include many small stories within one large story? Is this an effective storytelling method? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 3
What role does erasure play in the novel? Which characters are a part of the theme of erasure? How does the plot deal with erasure? How is erasure portrayed? Why is erasure significant to the novel's plot and characters?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)