|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the writer of "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
2. What does the main character in "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" have to fight?
3. To whom is the main character in "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" most similar?
4. In "In a Network of Lines that Intersect," when the man's wife saves him, what is she holding?
5. In whom is Ludmilla currently romantically interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
2. Why does the reader accept the assignment in Chapter 10?
3. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
4. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
5. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
6. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
7. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
8. What is the role of the OAP?
9. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
10. Describe how the ramifications of falsehoods are explored in Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of the reader. What motivates him to keep searching for the "right" book? Is the character particularly likable? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel makes you have an opinion of him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lotaria's character. What motivates Lotaria? What is her purpose in the novel? Is she a protagonist or an antagonist? Why? Cite two pieces of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)