|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
2. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
3. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
4. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
5. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
2. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
3. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
4. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
5. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
6. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
7. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
8. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
9. Describe the structure of the book.
10. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)