|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Marana confess that he cannot read?
2. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
3. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
4. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
5. What does the author assume about the reader throughout the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
2. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
3. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the structure of the book.
5. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
6. Why does Lotaria read?
7. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
8. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
9. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
10. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)