|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the two languages with a conflict in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
2. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
3. According to the bookseller, who wrote "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
4. What separates Ludmilla's friend from Ludmilla?
5. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
2. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
3. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
4. Why does Lotaria read?
5. Describe Cimmeria.
6. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
7. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
8. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
9. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
10. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)