|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
2. What are the two characters trying to put inside a sack in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
3. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
4. What does the bookseller warn the reader about the next book he's given?
5. What is similar to the reader's book and the book Uzzi-Tuzzii translates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
2. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
3. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
4. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
5. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
6. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
7. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
8. Why does Ludmilla read?
9. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
10. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marana and Flannery. How are these two characters similar and different? How do they have different but similar goals? How are both reflections of the author, Calvino?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)