|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
2. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," where does the main character's spend his final morning?
3. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
4. Where does the man in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i> leave his suit case overnight?
5. What separates Ludmilla's friend from Ludmilla?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
2. How are sensations used in the story "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
3. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
4. Describe the structure of the book.
5. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
6. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
7. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
8. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
9. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
10. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marana and Flannery. How are these two characters similar and different? How do they have different but similar goals? How are both reflections of the author, Calvino?
Essay Topic 2
What role does erasure play in the novel? Which characters are a part of the theme of erasure? How does the plot deal with erasure? How is erasure portrayed? Why is erasure significant to the novel's plot and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)