|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
2. Who is the root of the problem with the books?
3. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
4. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
5. What is Galligani's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
2. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
3. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
4. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
5. Describe Cimmeria.
6. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
7. Describe the structure of the book.
8. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
9. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
10. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)