|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages has the reader read when the book starts over?
2. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
3. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
5. Who is the author of "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
2. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
3. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
4. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
5. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
6. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
7. Who is Ermes Marana?
8. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
9. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
10. Why does Ludmilla read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author send a message about censorship to the reader? What do you think this message is? Which characters seem to side with the author? What does this tell you about these characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What events are foreshadowed? What techniques are used to foreshadow events? What foreshadows the marriage between Ludmilla and the reader? Cite one specific example.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)