|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks the reader to Uzzi-Tuzii's office?
2. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
3. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
4. What does the bookseller warn the reader about the next book he's given?
5. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludmilla read?
2. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
3. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
4. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
5. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
6. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
7. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
8. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
9. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
10. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)