|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages has the reader read when the book starts over?
2. According to the man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," what does the feud with another group cause?
3. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. Who is Cavedagna?
5. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
2. Why does Lotaria read?
3. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
4. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
5. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
6. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
7. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
8. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
9. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
10. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the books named described in the novel and analyze it. What motivates the characters in this story? What role does diction play? What's more important - plot or characterization? To whose tastes does this book cater?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Irnerio. What is his role in the novel? At what point does he threaten to stand in the way of the reader's mission? Cite two pieces of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)