|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man feel when he realizes who his contact is?
2. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
3. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
4. How many men greet the two characters in an elevator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
5. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
2. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
3. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
4. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
5. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
6. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
7. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
8. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
9. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
10. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)