|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
2. What does the author assume about the reader throughout the book?
3. When the reader turns the page, what does he discover to make a defective book?
4. What is the name of the narrator's daughter in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
5. Where does the author assume that the reader reads the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
2. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
3. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
4. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
5. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
6. Why does Lotaria read?
7. Who is Ermes Marana?
8. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
9. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
10. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is odd about the format in this novel? Why do you think the author chooses to include many small stories within one large story? Is this an effective storytelling method? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)