|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does the reader talk to the woman he meets ?
2. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
3. Why does Ludmilla read?
4. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
5. According to a man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," against whom is this group fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
2. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
3. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
4. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
5. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
6. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
7. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
8. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
9. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
10. Describe the structure of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)