|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks the reader to Uzzi-Tuzii's office?
2. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
3. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
5. What is most likely inside the suitcase the man carries around?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
2. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
3. Why does Ludmilla read?
4. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
5. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
6. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
7. Describe the structure of the book.
8. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
9. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
10. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Irnerio. What is his role in the novel? At what point does he threaten to stand in the way of the reader's mission? Cite two pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)