|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the language of the dead?
2. Where does Zwilda stay?
3. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
4. Whose study group is discussing "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
5. What is Galligani's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
2. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
4. Why is reading a personal experience?
5. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
6. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
7. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
8. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
9. Describe the story in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon."
10. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 2
What role does erasure play in the novel? Which characters are a part of the theme of erasure? How does the plot deal with erasure? How is erasure portrayed? Why is erasure significant to the novel's plot and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)