|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
2. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
3. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
4. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
5. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
2. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
3. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
4. Describe the structure of the book.
5. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
6. Describe Cimmeria.
7. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
8. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
9. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
10. Why does Lotaria read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of diction in the novel. How is word choice used effectively or ineffectively in the novel? Find at least five specific pieces of evidence to include in your essay.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)