|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
2. What does the author assume about the reader throughout the book?
3. What is most likely inside the suitcase the man carries around?
4. Why does the man in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i> want to turn back time?
5. Which character is Irina most like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cimmeria.
2. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
3. Describe the "invisible I" character.
4. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
5. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
6. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
7. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
8. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
9. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
10. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
Essay Topic 3
What role does erasure play in the novel? Which characters are a part of the theme of erasure? How does the plot deal with erasure? How is erasure portrayed? Why is erasure significant to the novel's plot and characters?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)