|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
2. Who enjoys reading books that will always exist?
3. in "Outside the Town of Malbork," why will nothing be the same for the main character?
4. In "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow," what is the name of the dead man?
5. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
2. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
3. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
4. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
5. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
6. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
7. Why does Lotaria read?
8. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
9. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
10. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Irnerio. What is his role in the novel? At what point does he threaten to stand in the way of the reader's mission? Cite two pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the second-person perspective play in the novel? How does the use of second-person perspective have an impact on the reader? What is the author able to do with the second perspective that he would not be able to do otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marana and Flannery. How are these two characters similar and different? How do they have different but similar goals? How are both reflections of the author, Calvino?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)