|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads "Leaning from the Steep Slope" out loud?
2. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," where does the main character's spend his final morning?
3. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
4. Who enjoys reading books without underlying meanings?
5. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
2. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
3. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
4. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
5. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
6. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
7. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
8. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
9. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
10. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the books named described in the novel and analyze it. What motivates the characters in this story? What role does diction play? What's more important - plot or characterization? To whose tastes does this book cater?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the novel titles creating a complete sentence? What does the sentence mean? What does the sentence ask the reader to contemplate?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)