|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow," what is the name of the dead man?
2. What made the publishing house question Marana's competency?
3. What must a book have for Lotaria to enjoy it?
4. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
5. Why does Ludmilla read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
2. Describe the structure of the book.
3. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
4. Why does Ludmilla read?
5. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
6. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
7. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
8. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
9. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
10. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is odd about the format in this novel? Why do you think the author chooses to include many small stories within one large story? Is this an effective storytelling method? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 3
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)