|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
2. In "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow," what is the name of the dead man?
3. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
4. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
5. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
2. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
3. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
4. Describe the structure of the book.
5. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
6. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
7. Describe Cimmeria.
8. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
9. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
10. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is odd about the format in this novel? Why do you think the author chooses to include many small stories within one large story? Is this an effective storytelling method? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)