|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character with a picture in his pocket?
2. What is considered the language of the dead?
3. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
4. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
5. For what does the author chastise the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
2. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
3. Why does Lotaria read?
4. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
6. Who is Ermes Marana?
7. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
8. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
9. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
10. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of the reader. What motivates him to keep searching for the "right" book? Is the character particularly likable? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel makes you have an opinion of him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)