|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a theme in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
2. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
3. What does the reader do when the book starts over?
4. Who enjoys reading books without underlying meanings?
5. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
2. Why is reading a personal experience?
3. What is the role of the OEPHLW?
4. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
5. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
6. Describe "In a Network of Lines that Enlace."
7. How can reading stimulate life, according to the author?
8. Why does Ludmilla regret meeting Flannery?
9. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
10. Why does Lotaria say that all things are fake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)