|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
2. According to the police chief, where should the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave right away?
3. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
4. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
5. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the structure of the book.
3. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
4. Why does Lotaria read?
5. Who is Ermes Marana?
6. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
7. What is apparent about the organization the man works for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
8. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
9. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
10. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)