|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
2. How does the man feel when he realizes who his contact is?
3. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. What does the reader exchange with the woman?
5. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," where does the main character's spend his final morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
2. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
3. Describe the structure of the book.
4. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
5. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
6. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
7. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
8. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
9. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
10. Describe the reader's interaction with the "other reader."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)