|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
2. According to Marana, who does not matter?
3. What does Zwilda draw?
4. Who reads "Leaning from the Steep Slope" out loud?
5. What is similar to the reader's book and the book Uzzi-Tuzzii translates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
2. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
3. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
4. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the structure of the book.
6. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
7. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
8. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
9. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
10. Why is the book titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler in the story so vague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle for language in the novel. How do the two sides continue to fight? How does the battle still affect those who read? What tone does the battle set for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Cite at least three specific examples of imagery in the novel. What is the significance of imagery in a novel? What tone does imagery set for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)