|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the bookseller, who wrote "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
2. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
3. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," for whom is the main character working?
4. Who is Cavedagna?
5. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
2. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
3. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
5. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
6. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
7. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
8. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
9. Who is Ermes Marana?
10. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Calvino views his readers? What makes you believe this is so? How does he compare to Flannery in this sense?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ludmilla's character. What is her significance to the story and to the main character. Do you think Ludmilla is a deep or shallow character? Cite two specific pieces of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Is reading a personal experience? Why or why not? What evidence in the novel suggests that it is? Cite at least three examples.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)