|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author assume that the reader reads the book?
2. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
3. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
4. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
5. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
2. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
3. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
4. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
5. Who is Ermes Marana?
6. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
7. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
8. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
9. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
10. Why does Ludmilla read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the benefits to this book being interactive for the reader? How does the author make it interactive? Is the author effective or ineffective in making the book interactive?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting in the novel. Why is setting significant to the novel? How would the novel change if it had a different setting? Cite one piece of evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals and motivations of each character in the novel? Analyze three different characters and their motivations, citing at least one example each.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)