|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who summoned Marana to break off translation of a novel at a suspenseful part?
(a) The wife of the American president.
(c) The inventor of Cimmerian language.
(d) The wife of the Arabian Sultan.
2. What is the name of Amarant's mother?
(d) Dona Jazmina.
3. Who is the Father of Stories?
(a) An Indian storyteller.
(b) An English storyteller.
(c) A Russian storyteller.
(d) A German storyteller.
4. Where is the reader when his book his confiscated?
5. What does Flannery find missing from his room?
(a) Family photographs.
(b) His collection of books.
(c) Pages from a manuscript.
(d) His personal documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon," who is the young man's teacher?
2. What does Lotaria tell the second police officer to call her?
3. From looking in Ludmilla's kitchen, what can the reader determine?
4. Who does the reader decide to visit to determine which book is "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
5. What does Flannery try to leave out of his next novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Calvino is trying to say about censorship?
2. Describe the relationship Ludmilla has with Irnerio that the reader discovers in Chapter 7.
3. Why do scientists have a woman strapped to a chair reading, according to Marana?
4. How does Ludmilla describe her relationship with Marana?
5. Describe the way information is given to the reader in Chapter 6.
6. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
7. Why is the reader arrested? Who holds him and why?
8. What is the role of the OAP?
9. How does Flannery view his readers?
10. Describe the book "In a Network of Lines that Intersect."
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)