|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
(b) An atlas.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) An encyclopedia.
2. How does the man feel when he realizes who his contact is?
3. According to a man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," against whom is this group fighting?
4. What is the food described at the beginning of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
5. What are the names of the two languages with a conflict in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) English and Cimmerian.
(b) Cimmerian and Cimbric.
(c) Cimbric and Spanish.
(d) French and English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler want to turn back time?
2. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
3. What is a theme in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
5. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
2. Why does Ludmilla read?
3. What do the reader and Ludmilla agree upon in Chapter 4?
4. Describe Cimmeria.
5. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
6. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
7. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
8. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
9. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
10. Describe the structure of the book.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)