|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is most likely inside the suitcase the man carries around?
(a) Something illegal or dangerous.
(d) Something designed to kill whoever opens it.
2. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
3. How does the author refer to the woman the reader talks to?
(a) The female reader.
(b) The other reader.
(c) The book lover.
(d) The girl.
4. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
(a) Under a bench.
(b) The bus station.
(c) A woman's shop.
(d) The police station.
5. What made the publishing house question Marana's competency?
(a) The types of books he worked on.
(c) The type of client he took on.
(d) A background check.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
2. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
3. What separates Ludmilla's friend from Ludmilla?
4. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
5. What is the name of the character with a picture in his pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
2. Who is Ermes Marana?
3. What foreshadows a future problem in Chapter 2?
4. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
5. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
6. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
7. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
8. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
9. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
10. Why does Ludmilla read?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)