|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What separates Ludmilla's friend from Ludmilla?
(a) He does not go to school.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He does not read.
(d) He does not like the reader.
2. What does the reader find when he begins reading the book the bookseller gives him?
(a) It was written by the bookseller.
(b) It is not the same novel he was reading.
(c) It is the same book but claims to be written by a different author.
(d) It is boring.
3. In "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow," what is the name of the dead man?
4. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
(a) A book he will actually enjoy.
(c) A new bookstore.
(d) A complete book.
5. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
(a) A woman's shop.
(b) The police station.
(c) Under a bench.
(d) The bus station.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
2. What does the reader exchange with the woman?
3. Who made love to the man before he was killed in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
4. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
5. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
2. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
3. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
4. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
5. Why does Ludmilla read?
6. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
7. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
8. Describe the novel "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo."
9. How is jealousy a theme in "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
10. Who is Ermes Marana?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)