|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A desk clerk.
(b) A professor.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A writer.
2. According to the man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," what does the feud with another group cause?
3. For what does the author chastise the reader?
(a) Taking the book to work.
(b) Reading in bed.
(c) Reading in the dark.
(d) Taking the book on the subway.
4. According to Marana, who does not matter?
5. To what type of organization does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler belong?
(a) One that is weaker than the police.
(b) The police force.
(c) A large and powerful one.
(d) One in which he could be killed at any moment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
2. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
3. Whose study group is discussing "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. Why does Ludmilla read?
5. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow."
2. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
3. Who is Ermes Marana?
4. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
5. How is Cavedagna symbolic of the author of the novel, Calvino.
6. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
7. Why was "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" chastised?
8. Why does Ludmilla read?
9. Describe the imagery used in "Outside the Town of Malbork."
10. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)