|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
(a) A bus station.
(b) A library.
(c) A train station.
(d) A diner.
2. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
3. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
(a) Specific settings.
(b) Impersonal dialogue.
(c) Easily dislikable characters.
(d) Vague descriptions.
4. What is Uzzi-Tuzii's profession?
(c) Bookstore owner.
5. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(b) Sexual innuendo.
(c) Beautiful imagery.
(d) Intense violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler talk?
2. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
3. Whose name is on a death sentence for treason in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
5. When the reader turns the page, what does he discover to make a defective book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludmilla read?
2. Describe the reader's comments on the difference between reading and hearing somebody read aloud.
3. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
4. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
5. How is Irnerio different from Ludmilla?
6. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
7. What is the origin of the problem with the books?
8. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
9. Who is Ermes Marana?
10. Describe "Outside the Town of Malbork."
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)