|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," what does the feud with another group cause?
2. What is the name of the narrator's daughter in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
3. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
4. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
(a) A book he will actually enjoy.
(b) A complete book.
(c) A new bookstore.
5. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
(a) Present tense.
(b) Intricate diction.
(c) Motivated characters.
(d) Second person perspective.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made love to the man before he was killed in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
2. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
3. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
4. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
5. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot of "Around an Empty Grave."
2. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
3. Describe the structure of the book.
4. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
5. Describe the shift in perspective that occurs in Chapter 7 and why the author included this.
6. In Chapter 5, what new type of book does Ludmilla claim to enjoy?
7. Describe the "invisible I" character.
8. Why does the author make each book title connect to become a complete sentence?
9. How does Chapter 11 give deeper insight to the characters throughout the novel?
10. How does the theme of "creating copies" come into play?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)