|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A desk clerk.
(b) A professor.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A writer.
2. How many pages has the reader read when the book starts over?
3. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
(a) The author committed suicide.
(b) The author no longer enjoyed writing.
(c) The author was censored.
(d) The book's publisher dropped the author.
4. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," for whom is the main character working?
(a) Mr. Shinderson.
(b) Mr. Carsondera.
(c) Mr. Hallford.
(d) Mr. Kauderer.
5. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person limited.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
2. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
3. What is Uzzi-Tuzii's profession?
4. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
5. Who enjoys reading books that will always exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is confusion a theme in the novel?
2. For what does the reader continue to search after finding a problem with his second book?
3. How does Calvino bring interactivity to the book?
4. Describe the narrator of "Leaning from the Steep Slope."
5. In Chapter 4, what type of book does Ludmilla state she enjoys and why is this significant?
6. Describe the perspective from which the novel is narrated.
7. Describe the plot of the first book the reader has, titled If On a Winter's Night a Traveler.
8. Why does Ludmilla read?
9. Who or what leads the reader down the wrong path in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the line between reader and publisher in the novel.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)