|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "In a Network of Lines that Enlace," about what is the man anxious?
2. Which of the following is Calvino clearly against, as seen in the novel?
(b) Reading for pleasure.
(c) Solving mysteries.
(d) Writing for pleasure.
3. What does OEPHLW stand for?
(a) Organization of Each Person Having Lived Well.
(b) Organization for the Electronic Production of Hurtful Literary Work.
(c) Operations of Electronic Products Held in Literary Works.
(d) Organization for the Electronic Production of Homogenized Literary Works.
4. Who are the people who have developed a system to write novels with less effort?
(a) The English.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The French.
5. What do both wings of the OAP have in common?
(a) They want to destroy Marana.
(b) They want to obtain a publishing house.
(c) They want to get a book published.
(d) They want to kidnap Ludmilla.
6. Whose reading habits do those censoring novels have most in common with?
7. What makes the main character in "In a Network of Lines that Intersect" think he is going insane?
(a) Seeing his family hurt.
(b) Seeing his reflection on all sides.
(c) Seeing his collection of items get destroyed.
(d) Being locked in a basement for days.
8. Why can Flannery no longer read?
(a) It makes him angry because it reminds him of Marana.
(b) He believes it is overrated.
(c) He lost his eyesight.
(d) He is an author.
9. What does Marana often do to delay his submissions?
(a) He writes letters.
(b) He changes publishers.
(c) He makes phone calls.
(d) He goes on vacation.
10. Who is the Father of Stories?
(a) A Russian storyteller.
(b) An Indian storyteller.
(c) An English storyteller.
(d) A German storyteller.
11. What is Marana's goal?
(a) To rewrite every book.
(b) To create falsehoods in literature.
(c) To read every book.
(d) To kill Ludmilla and the reader.
12. Who does the reader imagine is the woman Marana describes in his letters?
(b) The bookseller.
(d) A character from one of the novels.
13. In Chapter 8, what type of book does Ludmilla like?
(a) Books that lie to the reader.
(b) Books that create illusion around human relations.
(c) Books that use sensory details.
(d) Books that explore details about foreign countries.
14. In "In a Network of Lines that Intersect," what does the underground want to do with the main character?
(a) Kill his mistress.
(b) Kidnap him.
(c) Steal his money.
(d) Recruit him.
15. Who else has visited Flannery?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character in "What Story Down There Awaits its End?" have to fight?
2. Who does Flannery mistake for somebody who wants to get to know him personally?
3. According to Irnerio, where would Marana's former lover run to if he returned?
4. Who does the reader decide to visit to determine which book is "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
5. From looking in Ludmilla's kitchen, what can the reader determine?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)