|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the version of Lotaria who has sex with the reader?
2. What does Irnerio do with books?
(a) He burns them.
(b) He makes things with them.
(c) He reads them.
(d) He censors them.
3. How does Flannery want his readers to read?
4. How does the young man feel about Makiko in "On the Carpet of Leaves Illuminated by the Moon"?
(a) The young man wants to teach Makiko to read.
(b) The young man is attracted to Makiko.
(c) The young man only recently met Makiko and has mixed feelings about her.
(d) The young man hates Makiko.
5. Who summoned Marana to break off translation of a novel at a suspenseful part?
(a) The wife of the American president.
(b) The wife of the Arabian Sultan.
(d) The inventor of Cimmerian language.
6. What makes the main character in "In a Network of Lines that Intersect" think he is going insane?
(a) Seeing his family hurt.
(b) Seeing his reflection on all sides.
(c) Being locked in a basement for days.
(d) Seeing his collection of items get destroyed.
7. Who dies in the beginning of "Around an Empty Grave"?
(a) The main character's sister.
(b) The main character's father.
(c) The main character's grandmother.
(d) The main character's mother.
8. Whose reading habits do those censoring novels have most in common with?
9. According to Lotaria, who will win as a result of the world's fakeness?
(a) The organization.
(b) The radicals.
(c) The counter-revolutionists.
(d) The government.
10. What is the name of the writer of "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
(c) Silas Flannery.
(d) Jack Silvo.
11. What is the one thing Marana could not stand about his former lover?
(a) Her writing.
(b) Her reading habits.
(c) Her love of mysteries.
(d) Her eating habits.
12. Who has been determined to be the subject of Marana's letters?
(c) The reader.
13. What does Flannery try to leave out of his next novel?
(b) The invisible setting.
(c) The invisible I.
(d) A visible setting.
14. Who do the Wings of Shadow follow?
(a) Archon of Shadow.
(b) Man of Shadow.
(c) Archangel of Shadow.
(d) Bishop of Shadow.
15. Where is the reader when his book his confiscated?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Wings of Light follow?
2. Which of the following is Calvino clearly against, as seen in the novel?
3. Who does the reader decide to visit to determine which book is "In a Network of Lines that Enlace"?
4. In "In a Network of Lines that Enlace," about what is the man anxious?
5. Which character regrets meeting Flannery?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)