|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Galligani's profession?
2. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
3. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
(a) Under a bench.
(b) A woman's shop.
(c) The bus station.
(d) The police station.
4. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
5. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
(a) The author no longer enjoyed writing.
(b) The book's publisher dropped the author.
(c) The author was censored.
(d) The author committed suicide.
6. Where does Zwilda stay?
(a) Hotel of the Sea Lily.
(b) Inn of the Bland Sea.
(c) Motel Casa de Flores.
(d) Hotel of the Barren Flower.
7. What is the name of the narrator's daughter in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
8. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) The bus driver.
(b) A detective.
(c) A shop owner.
(d) The police chief.
9. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
10. Whose study group is discussing "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
11. Where does the main character of "Leaning from the Steep Slope" walk every day?
(a) Around a pond.
(b) Along the lake.
(c) Along a hiking trail.
(d) Along the harbor.
12. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
(a) A library.
(b) A diner.
(c) A bus station.
(d) A train station.
13. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
14. Which character is Irina most like?
(c) The reader.
15. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A writer.
(b) A desk clerk.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the reader find when he begins reading the book the bookseller gives him?
2. With whom does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler talk?
3. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
4. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
5. What is the food described at the beginning of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)