|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the reader turns the page, what does he discover to make a defective book?
(a) Pages that have been handwritten.
(b) A letter from Ludmilla.
(c) Blank pages.
(d) Torn pages.
2. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
(a) Sound and sight.
(b) Sight and touch.
(c) All of them.
(d) Smell and sound.
3. What language does Marana confess that he cannot read?
4. Whose name is on a death sentence for treason in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
5. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) A shop owner.
(b) The bus driver.
(c) The police chief.
(d) A detective.
6. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
(a) At a bus station.
(b) In a pizza shop.
(c) In a library.
(d) In a cafe.
7. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
(a) Turn him in to the police.
(b) Burn him.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Sell him.
8. Why does Ludmilla read?
(a) For meaning.
(b) For pleasure.
(c) To experience emotions.
(d) For knowledge.
9. What is similar to the reader's book and the book Uzzi-Tuzzii translates?
(c) Proper names.
10. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) To give him the suitcase.
(b) To find the woman he was talking to.
(c) To sit down and answer questions.
(d) To leave town quickly.
11. What does the reader find when he begins reading the book the bookseller gives him?
(a) It is boring.
(b) It is not the same novel he was reading.
(c) It was written by the bookseller.
(d) It is the same book but claims to be written by a different author.
12. Where does Ludmilla want the reader to meet her?
(a) Grocery store.
13. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A librarian.
(b) A professor.
(c) A desk clerk.
(d) A writer.
14. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
15. What are the names of the two languages with a conflict in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) English and Cimmerian.
(b) Cimbric and Spanish.
(c) Cimmerian and Cimbric.
(d) French and English.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
2. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," for whom is the main character working?
3. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
4. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
5. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)