|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
2. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) An atlas.
(d) An encyclopedia.
3. What does the bookseller warn the reader about the next book he's given?
(a) That it will suck him in.
(b) That somebody else may ask him for his copy.
(c) That it might have a defect.
(d) That it isn't a good book.
4. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
5. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," for whom is the main character working?
(a) Mr. Kauderer.
(b) Mr. Hallford.
(c) Mr. Shinderson.
(d) Mr. Carsondera.
6. What is considered the language of the dead?
7. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
(a) Vague descriptions.
(b) Impersonal dialogue.
(c) Specific settings.
(d) Easily dislikable characters.
8. Who is the author of "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) Shansin Genovice.
(b) Vortus Vijandi.
(c) Cortus Cordelius.
(d) Franklin Pierce.
9. What is the name of the country divided so much that it no longer exists?
10. Where does If On a Winter's Night a Traveler begin?
(a) A train station.
(b) A library.
(c) A bus station.
(d) A diner.
11. How many men greet the two characters in an elevator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
12. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
(a) A book he will actually enjoy.
(b) A new bookstore.
(c) A complete book.
13. Who is the root of the problem with the books?
(a) Henry Marana.
(b) Umberto Marana.
(c) Ermes Marana.
(d) Chavez Marana.
14. What is the name of the character with a picture in his pocket?
15. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) Intense violence.
(b) Sexual innuendo.
(c) Beautiful imagery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads "Leaning from the Steep Slope" out loud?
2. What language does Marana confess that he cannot read?
3. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
4. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
5. How many pages has the reader read when the book starts over?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)