|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
(a) Over drugs.
(b) Over a legal issue.
(c) Over a woman.
(d) Over money.
2. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) Intense violence.
(c) Sexual innuendo.
(d) Beautiful imagery.
3. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
(a) Burn him.
(b) Sell him.
(c) Turn him in to the police.
(d) Bury him.
4. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) To sit down and answer questions.
(b) To give him the suitcase.
(c) To leave town quickly.
(d) To find the woman he was talking to.
5. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
(a) In a library.
(b) At a bus station.
(c) In a cafe.
(d) In a pizza shop.
6. How many pages has the reader read when the book starts over?
7. What language does Marana confess that he cannot read?
8. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
(a) An author.
(b) An agent.
(c) A translator.
(d) An illustrator.
9. How does the man feel when he realizes who his contact is?
10. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A professor.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A writer.
(d) A desk clerk.
11. When the reader turns the page, what does he discover to make a defective book?
(a) A letter from Ludmilla.
(b) Pages that have been handwritten.
(c) Torn pages.
(d) Blank pages.
12. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
13. in "Outside the Town of Malbork," why will nothing be the same for the main character?
(a) He will never come back home.
(b) His parents are getting divorced.
(c) He knows when he comes back everybody else will be gone.
(d) He has changed too much.
14. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
15. Who made love to the man before he was killed in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
(b) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
2. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," where does the main character's spend his final morning?
3. What is most likely inside the suitcase the man carries around?
4. Who enjoys reading books that will always exist?
5. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)