|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
(a) Specific settings.
(b) Vague descriptions.
(c) Impersonal dialogue.
(d) Easily dislikable characters.
2. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(c) Full of lessons.
3. According to a man in "Outside the Town of Malbork," against whom is this group fighting?
4. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
5. What does the bookseller warn the reader about the next book he's given?
(a) That it will suck him in.
(b) That it might have a defect.
(c) That it isn't a good book.
(d) That somebody else may ask him for his copy.
6. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) The police chief.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) The bus driver.
(d) A detective.
7. What is the name of the narrator's daughter in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
8. What does Zwilda draw?
(b) The beach.
9. What language does Marana confess that he cannot read?
10. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
11. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
12. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Turn him in to the police.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Burn him.
13. Who enjoys reading books that will always exist?
(b) The reader.
14. About what does the reader talk to the woman he meets ?
(a) The bookstore.
(b) The bookseller.
15. What is the food described at the beginning of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
2. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
3. What are the two characters trying to put inside a sack in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
4. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
5. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)