|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
(a) Over a legal issue.
(b) Over a woman.
(c) Over drugs.
(d) Over money.
2. What is on the photo that is in a character's pocket?
(a) A pretty girl.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A handsome man.
(d) An old man.
3. Why does Ludmilla read?
(a) For pleasure.
(b) To experience emotions.
(c) For meaning.
(d) For knowledge.
4. What is Uzzi-Tuzii's profession?
(a) Bookstore owner.
5. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
(b) A complete book.
(c) A new bookstore.
(d) A book he will actually enjoy.
6. What is the name of the main character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
7. What does the author assume about the reader throughout the book?
(a) That the reader is a man.
(b) That the reader is poor.
(c) That the reader is a teenager.
(d) That the reader likes to read.
8. Who made love to the man before he was killed in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
(b) The narrator.
9. What is the name of the narrator's daughter in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
10. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
11. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
(a) An agent.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) A translator.
(d) An author.
12. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
(b) A dictionary.
(c) An encyclopedia.
(d) An atlas.
13. What is the food described at the beginning of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
14. What is the name of Ludmilla's male friend?
15. To what type of organization does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler belong?
(a) One in which he could be killed at any moment.
(b) A large and powerful one.
(c) One that is weaker than the police.
(d) The police force.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cavedagna?
2. Where does Zwilda stay?
3. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
4. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
5. About what does the reader talk to the woman he meets ?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)