|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is most likely inside the suitcase the man carries around?
(b) Something designed to kill whoever opens it.
(d) Something illegal or dangerous.
2. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
(a) Intricate diction.
(b) Motivated characters.
(c) Second person perspective.
(d) Present tense.
3. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
4. Why does the man in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i> want to turn back time?
(a) So he can postpone his meeting.
(b) So his train is not late.
(c) So he doesn't have to see the woman waiting for him.
(d) So he can be happy again.
5. What is considered the language of the dead?
6. What does the reader find when he begins reading the book the bookseller gives him?
(a) It was written by the bookseller.
(b) It is not the same novel he was reading.
(c) It is boring.
(d) It is the same book but claims to be written by a different author.
7. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
(a) Specific settings.
(b) Vague descriptions.
(c) Easily dislikable characters.
(d) Impersonal dialogue.
8. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i>?
(a) A detective.
(b) The bus driver.
(c) A shop owner.
(d) The police chief.
9. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) Sexual innuendo.
(c) Intense violence.
(d) Beautiful imagery.
10. When the reader turns the page, what does he discover to make a defective book?
(a) Blank pages.
(b) A letter from Ludmilla.
(c) Torn pages.
(d) Pages that have been handwritten.
11. What does the reader do when the book starts over?
(a) He calls Ludmilla.
(b) He throws it.
(c) He puts it in the trash.
(d) He laughs.
12. What is the reader searching for after reading part of "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
(b) A new bookstore.
(c) A complete book.
(d) A book he will actually enjoy.
13. Where does the man in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i> leave his suit case overnight?
(a) The police station.
(b) The bus station.
(c) A woman's shop.
(d) Under a bench.
14. Where does the man in the first story sit with his suitcase?
(a) In a pizza shop.
(b) At a bus station.
(c) In a cafe.
(d) In a library.
15. Who wrote "Leaning from the Steep Slope"?
(a) Othar Zuti.
(b) Umptar Orvitz.
(c) Ukko Ahti.
(d) Laza Okno.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads "Leaning from the Steep Slope" out loud?
2. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
3. Where does the reader look for answers about the story's setting in Chapter 2?
4. According to the bookseller, who wrote "Outside the Town of Malbork"?
5. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)