|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author assume that the reader reads the book?
(a) In bed.
(b) On a plane.
(c) On a bus.
(d) Curled up in a chair at home.
2. Who enjoys reading books without underlying meanings?
(c) The reader.
3. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
(a) Over a legal issue.
(b) Over a woman.
(c) Over drugs.
(d) Over money.
4. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A desk clerk.
(b) A professor.
(c) A writer.
(d) A librarian.
5. Which character in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" mentions that another sack is needed?
6. Which of the following is a theme in the first chapter of the book?
(b) The censorship of books.
(c) Different types of books in the world.
(d) Happiness found in books.
7. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
(a) Sight and touch.
(b) Smell and sound.
(c) All of them.
(d) Sound and sight.
8. After examining the narration , which character would most like to read "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
9. What are the names of the two languages with a conflict in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) English and Cimmerian.
(b) Cimmerian and Cimbric.
(c) Cimbric and Spanish.
(d) French and English.
10. Who is the root of the problem with the books?
(a) Henry Marana.
(b) Chavez Marana.
(c) Ermes Marana.
(d) Umberto Marana.
11. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
(a) Second person perspective.
(b) Motivated characters.
(c) Present tense.
(d) Intricate diction.
12. In "Outside the Town of Malbork," where does the main character's spend his final morning?
13. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i>?
(a) The bus driver.
(b) A detective.
(c) The police chief.
(d) A shop owner.
14. Why does Ludmilla read?
(a) To experience emotions.
(b) For meaning.
(c) For pleasure.
(d) For knowledge.
15. Where do the two characters dispose of a dead body in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
(a) At a cemetery.
(b) In a dumpster.
(c) Over a terrace.
(d) In a river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
2. What is on the photo that is in a character's pocket?
3. Why does the man in <i>If On a Winter's Night a Traveler</i> want to turn back time?
4. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
5. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)