|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
(a) Second person perspective.
(b) Intricate diction.
(c) Motivated characters.
(d) Present tense.
2. From what perspective is most of the novel written?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) First person.
3. What allows the reader to personalize the story?
(a) Impersonal dialogue.
(b) Vague descriptions.
(c) Specific settings.
(d) Easily dislikable characters.
4. What is Galligani's profession?
5. According to Marana, who does not matter?
6. Where does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler leave his suit case overnight?
(a) Under a bench.
(b) A woman's shop.
(c) The bus station.
(d) The police station.
7. What do the two characters in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" want to do with a dead man?
(a) Burn him.
(b) Turn him in to the police.
(c) Sell him.
(d) Bury him.
8. Why does Ludmilla read?
(a) To experience emotions.
(b) For meaning.
(c) For pleasure.
(d) For knowledge.
9. Where does the author assume that the reader reads the book?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a bus.
(c) Curled up in a chair at home.
(d) In bed.
10. Who agrees that the reader needs to see a publisher but does not want to go by himself/herself?
11. What is the name of Ludmilla's sister?
12. Which sense does cutting apart pages with a paper knife occupy?
(a) All of them.
(b) Sound and sight.
(c) Sight and touch.
(d) Smell and sound.
13. Who turns out to be the contact the man is waiting for in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
(a) The bus driver.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) The police chief.
(d) A detective.
14. What is combined with description in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(a) Beautiful imagery.
(c) Sexual innuendo.
(d) Intense violence.
15. Who is Cavedagna?
(a) A librarian.
(b) A desk clerk.
(c) A professor.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is "Leaning from the Steep Slope" unfinished?
2. What does the reader exchange with the woman?
3. What does the bookseller warn the reader about the next book he's given?
4. Which character is Irina most like?
5. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)