|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the root of the problem with the books?
(a) Ermes Marana.
(b) Chavez Marana.
(c) Umberto Marana.
(d) Henry Marana.
2. Whose name is on a death sentence for treason in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
3. Where does the author assume that the reader reads the book?
(a) On a bus.
(b) Curled up in a chair at home.
(c) In bed.
(d) On a plane.
4. For what does the author chastise the reader?
(a) Reading in the dark.
(b) Taking the book on the subway.
(c) Taking the book to work.
(d) Reading in bed.
5. According to Marana, what is the only thing that dictates which novels survive?
6. What did Marana claim to be, according to the publishing house?
(a) An agent.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) An author.
(d) A translator.
7. What separates Ludmilla's friend from Ludmilla?
(a) He does not like the reader.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He does not read.
(d) He does not go to school.
8. At whom does Irina point a revolver?
9. What is the name of the character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" who is in possession of two men?
10. Which word best describes the setting in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
(c) Full of lessons.
11. Why does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler want to turn back time?
(a) So he can be happy again.
(b) So he doesn't have to see the woman waiting for him.
(c) So his train is not late.
(d) So he can postpone his meeting.
12. Why did the narrator in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow" kill the man?
(a) Over money.
(b) Over a legal issue.
(c) Over drugs.
(d) Over a woman.
13. Who reads "Leaning from the Steep Slope" out loud?
(b) The reader.
14. What is a theme in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo"?
15. To what type of organization does the man in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler belong?
(a) The police force.
(b) One that is weaker than the police.
(c) One in which he could be killed at any moment.
(d) A large and powerful one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zwilda stay?
2. Who made love to the man before he was killed in "Looks Down in the Gathering Shadow"?
3. What do the police tell the man to do in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler?
4. Which of the following makes the book seem interactive?
5. Which character in "Without Fear of Wind or Vertigo" is described as ungrateful and terse?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)