|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Bombeck's analogy for children, why is their success bittersweet?
(a) A mother no longer knows their children best.
(b) They will never come home again.
(c) They will soon break free.
(d) They will not need to rely exclusively on you anymore.
2. In Bombeck's imagined game show scenario, what would the woman initially win?
(a) A new car.
(b) A set of furniture.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) An all-expenses paid vacation.
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
(b) Fresh vegetables.
(c) Fresh fruit.
(d) Freshly baked cookies.
4. What was the name of Bombeck's son's paper?
(a) "Things My Mother Taught Me."
(b) "Why My Mother Is The Funniest Person I Know."
(c) "Why My Mother Loves Me."
(d) "Why My Mother Gave Me Independence."
5. What was Bombeck's example of a typical topic on a game show?
(a) Pop psychology.
(b) Brechtian theater.
(c) Fuel formula.
(d) Current Senators.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck claim to do when she saw her daughter's ears were pierced?
2. In "How to Speak Child Fluently," how did Bombeck feel about her son's paper?
3. During "Search and Seizure Rights in the Laundry Room," what did Bombeck's son claim was impossible for him to do?
4. What space flight did Bombeck mention in "Gametime?"
5. Why did Bombeck dislike several fashion trends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two parts of Bombeck's vacation laws.
2. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
3. In "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Health," what were signs that Bombeck's son was growing up?
4. What were some trends Bombeck hoped were on the way out and how did she admit to ultimately feeling about certain fads?
5. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
6. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
7. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
8. How did Bombeck's husband humorously skewer the idealization of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently"?
9. Why was Bombeck's son resistant to putting away his clean laundry?
10. What is "Inspector 56?"
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)