|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bombeck attempt to recite in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV series?" that ended up not being funny?
(c) Children's jokes.
(d) Oscar Wilde monologues.
2. Why did Bombeck begin to brown-nose her butcher?
(a) She accidentally insulted his profession.
(b) She found that he sells special cuts of meat to his favorite customers.
(c) She was afraid that he was about to quit the butcher shop.
(d) The price of meat went up.
3. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
(a) Her furnace.
(b) The heat of her underarms.
(c) Her bathtub.
(d) Her windowsill in the sunroom.
4. Who is Bombeck's focus in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
(a) Her best friend's sons.
(b) Her brothers.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her husband.
5. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
(d) Knowledge of the sport.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Tom Suggs?
2. What does Bombeck claim is the purpose of "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?"
3. According to Bombeck's mother, why did she name her daughter "Erma"?
4. Where did some women store their second tennis ball?
5. Why was a doctor's appointment no longer an excusable absence at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
2. According to Bombeck, what was the result of the coffee boycott in 1942?
3. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
4. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
5. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
6. Who was Lionel?
7. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
8. With what issue did Bombeck struggle in "The Varicose Open" and why?
9. Describe Bombeck's humor.
10. Who is Lorraine Suggs?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)