|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bombeck's final pet peeve with her husband in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
(a) Not taking out the garbage.
(b) Not putting gas in the car.
(c) Running late.
(d) Talking back to the radio.
2. What were children still unaware of, according to Bombeck, in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
(a) They did not know what qualified as a dressing nicely.
(b) They did not know that their summer clothes were hand-me-downs.
(c) They did now know that they were all wearing boy's clothes.
(d) They did not know that nudity was not a choice.
3. Which of the following did Bombeck not claim to do as a reaction to the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) Bleached her black clothing.
(b) Noticed the drafts caused by her eyelashes.
(c) Shaved her tongue.
(d) Buttered her hand.
4. According to Bombeck's mother, why did she name her daughter "Erma"?
(a) She wanted to name her daughter after her grandmother.
(b) She wanted her daughter to stand out in a crowd.
(c) She wanted her daughter to have a classic name.
(d) She claimed it was easy to remember.
5. In "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" what exists in order to break up the action of a piece?
(a) Household chores.
(b) Dentist appointments.
(c) Bathroom breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was a doctor's appointment no longer an excusable absence at work?
2. According to "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," why would the research rat have died of a heart attack?
3. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
4. What was Bombeck worried that scientists would discover?
5. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Lorraine Suggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
2. With what issue did Bombeck struggle in "The Varicose Open" and why?
3. What does Bombeck hypothesize about the reasons so many marriages fail?
4. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
5. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
6. Who is Lorraine Suggs?
7. Describe Bombeck's humor.
8. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
9. What were some of the basic tasks that Bombeck's family were unable to perform in "Is There Life After Mine?"
10. What were some of the considerations Bombeck claimed children should think about before calling a parent at work?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)