|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bombeck's focus in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her best friend's sons.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brothers.
2. How did Bombeck feel about the magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
(a) She felt enraged by the author's assumptions about women.
(b) She felt inspired by the article.
(c) She felt disturbed by the working woman's robotic tone.
(d) She felt as if she did not measure up.
3. According to her daughter's announcement, what was about to be made illegal because of a bill in Congress?
(b) Tin cans.
(d) Aerosol spray cans.
4. In what event must Bombeck's family use the manual she wrote up in "Is There Life After Mine?"
(a) Her death.
(b) Her elopement with Cary Grant.
(c) Her retirement.
(d) Her decision to move to Paris.
5. For what reasons did Bombeck want to recognize Lorraine Suggs as a mother?
(a) She raised ten children on her own.
(b) She took care of her family while her husband was constantly out of town on business.
(c) She raised the perfect children, in Bombeck's eyes.
(d) She managed her own business at home, which let her remain a stay-at-home mom.
6. In "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad," what was the problem not discussed that destroyed marriages?
(b) Literary habits.
(c) Table manners.
7. When discussing when a child should call their parent with an emergency at work, what piece of furniture was taken into consideration?
(a) The antique trunk.
(b) The family rocking chair.
(c) The dining room table.
(d) The sofa without Scotch Guard.
8. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
(a) The positive side of constantly travelling.
(b) People claimed he had the perfect opportunity to be unfaithful to his wife.
(c) The downside to being away from one's family.
(d) People believed he was thoughtless when going on business trips.
9. Why did Bombeck claim to be unable to store a second tennis ball like other women?
(a) She did not have enough room in her tennis panties.
(b) She did not like having a ball stored in her bra.
(c) She was never able to talk her child into being in charge of the tennis balls.
(d) She needed both hands for tennis.
10. What literary genre is "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
(c) Morality play.
11. What did Bombeck attempt to recite in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV series?" that ended up not being funny?
(b) Children's jokes.
(c) Oscar Wilde monologues.
12. Why did Bombeck want to recognize Tom Suggs in her column?
(a) His dedication to his career.
(b) His ability to discipline his children from across the country.
(c) His decision to sacrifice his marriage for his children.
(d) His ability to relieve his wife's depression.
13. In "The Varicose Open," what would Bombeck not have allowed to grow together?
(a) Her knees.
(b) Her eyebrows.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her feet.
14. In "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" what exists in order to break up the action of a piece?
(a) Dentist appointments.
(b) Bathroom breaks.
(d) Household chores.
15. What did Bombeck's children claim the adults would have problems managing in "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What was better than backhand, according to Bombeck's tennis advice?
2. What trends did Bombeck claim she had a hard time accepting fully in "Have a Good Day"?
3. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
4. What was Bombeck never able to see in a movie because of her husband's bad habit in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
5. To what event did Bombeck refer to as the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)