|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
(c) Going to church.
(d) Having children.
2. Which of the following did Bombeck not claim to do as a reaction to the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) Noticed the drafts caused by her eyelashes.
(b) Buttered her hand.
(c) Shaved her tongue.
(d) Bleached her black clothing.
3. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
4. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
(a) People believed he was thoughtless when going on business trips.
(b) People claimed he had the perfect opportunity to be unfaithful to his wife.
(c) The positive side of constantly travelling.
(d) The downside to being away from one's family.
5. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Lorraine Suggs?
(a) The Thinking Mother's Mother.
(b) Mother of the Month.
(c) Mother of the Year.
(d) Mother Maryress.
6. According to Bombeck, after driving the mother crazy, what would happen to the father if a child were to meet them at the door after work?
(a) He would rupture a neck vein.
(b) He would walk into the house and grab a beer before anything else.
(c) He would go back to work.
(d) He would get in the car and go eat at a restaurant.
7. What did Bombeck claim to threaten her children with if they were to have company over while the parents were away?
(a) Taking away allowances.
(b) Forbidding them to get their driver's license.
(c) Increasing the household chores to fill their days.
(d) Grounding in their rooms through the teenage years.
8. Which of the following choices did Bombeck's family apparently struggle with when it came to cooking?
(a) Rinsing the vegetables before consumption.
(b) Understanding that they must wash their hands after handling raw meat.
(c) Putting the food in the pan when it was time to heat it up.
(d) Eating enough vegetables.
9. Why did Bombeck claim to be unable to store a second tennis ball like other women?
(a) She did not like having a ball stored in her bra.
(b) She was never able to talk her child into being in charge of the tennis balls.
(c) She needed both hands for tennis.
(d) She did not have enough room in her tennis panties.
10. In "The Varicose Open," what would Bombeck not have allowed to grow together?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her eyebrows.
(c) Her knees.
(d) Her feet.
11. What would drive a mother crazy if the child were to meet that parent at the door with this?
(a) Dirty dishes.
(b) Complaints about the other kids.
(c) A torn up living room because of the dog.
(d) A list of phone messages from the previous week.
12. In "Mother Mystique," what did Bombeck believe was the only way for a mother to survive?
(a) Assigning chores.
(b) Sending the children to school.
(c) Taking control of the car radio.
(d) Knowing what their children were always doing.
13. What did Bombeck claim mothers always have a hard time getting right when it came to their children?
(a) Their names.
(b) Their teachers.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their ages.
14. For what reasons did Bombeck want to recognize Lorraine Suggs as a mother?
(a) She managed her own business at home, which let her remain a stay-at-home mom.
(b) She took care of her family while her husband was constantly out of town on business.
(c) She raised the perfect children, in Bombeck's eyes.
(d) She raised ten children on her own.
15. How did Bombeck feel about the magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
(a) She felt as if she did not measure up.
(b) She felt inspired by the article.
(c) She felt enraged by the author's assumptions about women.
(d) She felt disturbed by the working woman's robotic tone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to her daughter's announcement, what was about to be made illegal because of a bill in Congress?
2. Of what did Lorraine Suggs accuse her husband?
3. What did Bombeck's mother ask for in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" when Bombeck puts a halt to all of the action?
4. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
5. What famous actress did Bombeck claim to worry about going bald?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)