|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bombeck unable to secure for her family in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
(a) A playgroup.
(b) A babysitter.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
2. According to Bombeck, after driving the mother crazy, what would happen to the father if a child were to meet them at the door after work?
(a) He would rupture a neck vein.
(b) He would go back to work.
(c) He would walk into the house and grab a beer before anything else.
(d) He would get in the car and go eat at a restaurant.
3. What was better than backhand, according to Bombeck's tennis advice?
(a) Taunting the server.
(b) Rushing around a served ball.
(c) Letting the ball go out of bounds.
(d) Claiming a line foul after the ball was served.
4. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
(a) The positive side of constantly travelling.
(b) People claimed he had the perfect opportunity to be unfaithful to his wife.
(c) People believed he was thoughtless when going on business trips.
(d) The downside to being away from one's family.
5. According to "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," why would the research rat have died of a heart attack?
(a) It would have played dress-up with the children.
(b) It would have ridden in the car with a teenager who had earned his learner's permit.
(c) It would have needed cleaner air.
(d) It would have had to deal with the noise level of the average household.
6. What trends did Bombeck claim she had a hard time accepting fully in "Have a Good Day"?
(d) Cooking gourmet food every night.
7. What did Bombeck's children claim the adults would have problems managing in "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
8. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
(a) Children believe that their parents like working.
(b) Children believe their mother loves another child more.
(c) Children believe parents are clueless.
(d) Children believe their parents were never wrong.
9. According to a magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what was the career woman's job?
10. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
(a) She was being taken advantage of by her family.
(b) She complained too much about being busy.
(c) She had every right to try to divorce her husband for negligence.
(d) She was fortunate that her husband was always out-of-town.
11. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
(b) Going to church.
(c) Having children.
12. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
13. When discussing when a child should call their parent with an emergency at work, what piece of furniture was taken into consideration?
(a) The family rocking chair.
(b) The dining room table.
(c) The sofa without Scotch Guard.
(d) The antique trunk.
14. What was Bombeck worried that scientists would discover?
(a) Wine had no health benefits.
(b) Lettuce was fattening.
(c) Pantyhose would be bad for you.
(d) Exercise decreased one's lifespan.
15. To what event did Bombeck refer to as the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) A coffee boycott.
(b) Her attempts to switch from coffee to tea.
(c) The surgeon general's misleading warning about caffeine.
(d) Her attempts to wean herself off of coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
2. Who is Bombeck's focus in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
3. What realization did Bombeck have in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
4. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Tom Suggs?
5. Which of the following choices did Bombeck's family apparently struggle with when it came to cooking?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)