|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
(b) Going to church.
(d) Having children.
2. For what reasons did Bombeck want to recognize Lorraine Suggs as a mother?
(a) She managed her own business at home, which let her remain a stay-at-home mom.
(b) She raised the perfect children, in Bombeck's eyes.
(c) She took care of her family while her husband was constantly out of town on business.
(d) She raised ten children on her own.
3. What was I.Dunno incapable of doing on time?
(a) Letting the parents know about important school events.
(b) Turning in homework assignments.
(c) Returning library books.
(d) Being on time for curfew.
4. What would drive a mother crazy if the child were to meet that parent at the door with this?
(a) A torn up living room because of the dog.
(b) Dirty dishes.
(c) A list of phone messages from the previous week.
(d) Complaints about the other kids.
5. When Bombeck noticed that her children's appearances were particularly disheveled one day, what was the occasion?
(a) School picture day.
(b) Last day of school.
(c) School social.
(d) Football game.
6. Why did Bombeck want to recognize Tom Suggs in her column?
(a) His ability to discipline his children from across the country.
(b) His dedication to his career.
(c) His decision to sacrifice his marriage for his children.
(d) His ability to relieve his wife's depression.
7. What was better than backhand, according to Bombeck's tennis advice?
(a) Claiming a line foul after the ball was served.
(b) Letting the ball go out of bounds.
(c) Rushing around a served ball.
(d) Taunting the server.
8. Of what did Lorraine Suggs accuse her husband?
(a) Being too strict on the kids.
(b) Ignoring his family.
(c) Intentionally making a mess when he was home.
(d) Cheating on her.
9. According to Bombeck, after driving the mother crazy, what would happen to the father if a child were to meet them at the door after work?
(a) He would get in the car and go eat at a restaurant.
(b) He would rupture a neck vein.
(c) He would walk into the house and grab a beer before anything else.
(d) He would go back to work.
10. Where did some women store their second tennis ball?
(a) Their bra.
(b) Their ball-handler.
(c) Their weaker hand.
(d) The leg of their tennis panties.
11. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
(a) She had every right to try to divorce her husband for negligence.
(b) She complained too much about being busy.
(c) She was fortunate that her husband was always out-of-town.
(d) She was being taken advantage of by her family.
12. What name did Bombeck's mother use that was closest to her actual name in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
13. What were children still unaware of, according to Bombeck, in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
(a) They did now know that they were all wearing boy's clothes.
(b) They did not know that nudity was not a choice.
(c) They did not know that their summer clothes were hand-me-downs.
(d) They did not know what qualified as a dressing nicely.
14. According to a magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what was the career woman's job?
15. What literary genre is "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
(b) Morality play.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bombeck feel about the magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
2. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck admit to being?
3. What realization did Bombeck have in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
4. In "The Varicose Open," what would Bombeck not have allowed to grow together?
5. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Tom Suggs?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)