|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
(a) They never learned how to mow the grass.
(b) Their inability to change the toilet paper roll.
(c) They never cleaned out the attic.
(d) They never appreciated her cooking.
2. To what event did Bombeck refer to as the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) The surgeon general's misleading warning about caffeine.
(b) A coffee boycott.
(c) Her attempts to wean herself off of coffee.
(d) Her attempts to switch from coffee to tea.
3. Who was "I. Dontcare?"
(a) Her daughter's imaginary friend.
(b) I. Dunno's brother.
(c) The title of a children's book.
(d) Her son's homework assignment.
4. According to Bombeck, after driving the mother crazy, what would happen to the father if a child were to meet them at the door after work?
(a) He would walk into the house and grab a beer before anything else.
(b) He would go back to work.
(c) He would rupture a neck vein.
(d) He would get in the car and go eat at a restaurant.
5. What name did Bombeck's mother use that was closest to her actual name in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
6. What trends did Bombeck claim she had a hard time accepting fully in "Have a Good Day"?
(b) Cooking gourmet food every night.
7. For what reasons did people believe Lorraine Suggs had the perfect life?
(a) Her children always kept the house perfectly clean and had their homework done every night.
(b) She never had to deal with her neglectful husband.
(c) She was able to get out of the house once in awhile.
(d) Her children were never in trouble.
8. What did Bombeck claim her husband sounded like in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
(a) A train in a tunnel.
(b) A leaky Goodyear blimp.
(c) A rock concert.
(d) A muffler with a hole.
9. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
(a) She was being taken advantage of by her family.
(b) She was fortunate that her husband was always out-of-town.
(c) She had every right to try to divorce her husband for negligence.
(d) She complained too much about being busy.
10. Which of the following did Bombeck not claim to do as a reaction to the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) Buttered her hand.
(b) Noticed the drafts caused by her eyelashes.
(c) Shaved her tongue.
(d) Bleached her black clothing.
11. What has Bombeck's family not mastered in "Is There Life After Mine?"
(a) Basic household chores.
(b) Listening to her.
(c) Table manners.
(d) Taking messages on the phone.
12. According to Bombeck, what was the only reason a man would snore?
(a) To annoy his wife.
(b) To compete with the neighbors.
(c) To scare off the burglars.
(d) To stay awake.
13. What was Bombeck never able to see in a movie because of her husband's bad habit in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
(a) The movie trailers.
(b) The opening credits.
(c) The murder victim before the victim's death.
(d) The new couple's first date.
14. What famous actress did Bombeck claim to worry about going bald?
(a) Lucille Ball.
(b) Lauren Bacall.
(c) Carol Channing.
(d) Liza Minnelli.
15. To what question was "I. Dontcare" the response?
(a) When their homework was due.
(b) When their friend was coming over.
(c) Whether anyone would like liver for dinner.
(d) Where their sibling was hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
2. What were children still unaware of, according to Bombeck, in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
3. What literary genre is "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
4. What was the best way to stall in tennis by Bombeck's standards?
5. What was Bombeck's final pet peeve with her husband in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)