|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bombeck attempt to recite in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV series?" that ended up not being funny?
(b) Children's jokes.
(c) Oscar Wilde monologues.
2. What was Bombeck's final pet peeve with her husband in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
(a) Talking back to the radio.
(b) Not taking out the garbage.
(c) Running late.
(d) Not putting gas in the car.
3. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck admit to being?
(a) A total gossip.
(b) A natural born leader.
(c) A bad cook.
(d) A worrier.
4. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
(a) Knowledge of the sport.
5. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
(a) They never cleaned out the attic.
(b) They never appreciated her cooking.
(c) Their inability to change the toilet paper roll.
(d) They never learned how to mow the grass.
6. In "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" what exists in order to break up the action of a piece?
(a) Household chores.
(b) Bathroom breaks.
(d) Dentist appointments.
7. How did Bombeck feel about the magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
(a) She felt enraged by the author's assumptions about women.
(b) She felt as if she did not measure up.
(c) She felt inspired by the article.
(d) She felt disturbed by the working woman's robotic tone.
8. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
(a) Her bathtub.
(b) Her furnace.
(c) Her windowsill in the sunroom.
(d) The heat of her underarms.
9. What would drive a mother crazy if the child were to meet that parent at the door with this?
(a) Complaints about the other kids.
(b) A torn up living room because of the dog.
(c) Dirty dishes.
(d) A list of phone messages from the previous week.
10. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
(c) Going to church.
(d) Having children.
11. During "Primer for Imaginative Children," what should children watch out for with their dog?
(a) They must take the dog outside whenever he needs to.
(b) They must make sure the dog does not jump the fence.
(c) They must make sure the dog stays off of the furniture.
(d) They must remember to feed their dog.
12. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
13. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
(a) Children believe their parents were never wrong.
(b) Children believe their mother loves another child more.
(c) Children believe that their parents like working.
(d) Children believe parents are clueless.
14. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
(a) People believed he was thoughtless when going on business trips.
(b) The positive side of constantly travelling.
(c) The downside to being away from one's family.
(d) People claimed he had the perfect opportunity to be unfaithful to his wife.
15. What famous actress did Bombeck claim to worry about going bald?
(a) Carol Channing.
(b) Lauren Bacall.
(c) Lucille Ball.
(d) Liza Minnelli.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bombeck's focus in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
2. According to Bombeck, what could her mother never get right about her, despite her status as an only child?
3. According to "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," why would the research rat have died of a heart attack?
4. According to Bombeck's list of guidelines that determine whether a child should call their parent at work, the amount of what substance ought to be evaluated to constitute an emergency?
5. What did Bombeck's mother ask for in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" when Bombeck puts a halt to all of the action?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)