|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Bombeck not claim to do as a reaction to the "Great Caffeine Drought of 1942?"
(a) Noticed the drafts caused by her eyelashes.
(b) Buttered her hand.
(c) Bleached her black clothing.
(d) Shaved her tongue.
2. According to her daughter's announcement, what was about to be made illegal because of a bill in Congress?
(b) Tin cans.
(d) Aerosol spray cans.
3. Who is Bombeck's focus in "At What Age Is a Child Capable of Dressing Himself"?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brothers.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her best friend's sons.
4. What did Bombeck claim mothers always have a hard time getting right when it came to their children?
(a) Their teachers.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their ages.
5. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
(a) Her windowsill in the sunroom.
(b) The heat of her underarms.
(c) Her furnace.
(d) Her bathtub.
6. What did Bombeck claim to threaten her children with if they were to have company over while the parents were away?
(a) Grounding in their rooms through the teenage years.
(b) Forbidding them to get their driver's license.
(c) Increasing the household chores to fill their days.
(d) Taking away allowances.
7. What was the best way to stall in tennis by Bombeck's standards?
(a) Retying a shoe.
(b) Problems with the tape wrapped around the tennis handle.
(c) A sudden muscle cramp.
(d) Claiming dehydration.
8. What was Bombeck worried that scientists would discover?
(a) Exercise decreased one's lifespan.
(b) Lettuce was fattening.
(c) Pantyhose would be bad for you.
(d) Wine had no health benefits.
9. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
(a) People claimed he had the perfect opportunity to be unfaithful to his wife.
(b) The downside to being away from one's family.
(c) The positive side of constantly travelling.
(d) People believed he was thoughtless when going on business trips.
10. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck admit to being?
(a) A bad cook.
(b) A worrier.
(c) A total gossip.
(d) A natural born leader.
11. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
12. According to Bombeck's list of guidelines that determine whether a child should call their parent at work, the amount of what substance ought to be evaluated to constitute an emergency?
13. In "Mother Mystique," what did Bombeck believe was the only way for a mother to survive?
(a) Assigning chores.
(b) Taking control of the car radio.
(c) Sending the children to school.
(d) Knowing what their children were always doing.
14. What name did Bombeck's mother use that was closest to her actual name in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
15. How did Bombeck feel about the magazine article in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
(a) She felt as if she did not measure up.
(b) She felt enraged by the author's assumptions about women.
(c) She felt disturbed by the working woman's robotic tone.
(d) She felt inspired by the article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck's butcher continually refuse to do?
2. What literary genre is "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
3. What did Bombeck attempt to recite in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV series?" that ended up not being funny?
4. What does Bombeck claim is the purpose of "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?"
5. In "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" what exists in order to break up the action of a piece?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)