|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Kim tell Mia she wanted to live and have normal parents after Mia's fight with Adam?
2. Who is the tall lanky red-haired guy that played cello at Mia's summer camp?
3. Where was Elizabeth accepted to study after high school?
4. What color hair does Mia describe her family members as having?
5. What grade was Mia in when she decided that maybe she would stop playing cello?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mia go to search for Teddy at 10:40 p.m.? Why?
2. Why did Mia once have an emotional fight with Adam about Kim?
3. Why was Mia's mother upset about Kerry Gifford's funeral?
4. Who convinced Mia to not give up playing cello? How?
5. Who is Mr. Dunlap and what is his role in the novel?
6. How old was Mia when she decided to quit playing cello? Why did she decide to quit?
7. How does Mia describe her experiences at Franklin Valley Conservatory?
8. What is the main emotion that Mia describes expressing after her discovery of Teddy's death?
9. How does Mia describe Kerry Gifford's character?
10. How does Mia respond to Gran's visit in the ICU after her second surgical procedure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mia Hall as the protagonist of If I Stay. How old is Mia? Based on Mia's observations and her actions, how would you define her character? What are Mia's strongest traits? What are her weakest?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of choice in If I Stay. How does the author illustrate this theme through symbolism and imagery? How is the theme developed through character and setting? How central is the theme of choice in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What significance does Mia's father's transformation from punk musician to middle school signify symbolically in the novel? How does this transformation relate to Mia's transformation? What are Mia's observations about her father's transformation?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)