|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Gramps call Mia when he first talks to her at the hospital?
2. What does Mia's mother want to listen to on the radio as they set out to visit friends?
3. Kim once told Mia that her people can fight with the best of them, but with what?
4. What attraction in New York did Mia most want to see when she was nine?
5. What does Teddy want to listen to as the family sets out to visit friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is If I Say structured? How are the different sections of the novel delineated?
2. What does Mia remark about the social worker telling her grandparents of her condition when they first meet with her?
3. How does Mia's consciousness transition following the car accident?
4. Who does Mia describe in the waiting room at "4:39 p.m."?
5. Why is the snowfall significant in If I Stay?
6. How does Mia describe the first weeks when she and Adam became an item?
7. How does Mia describe Adam's first visit to meet her parents?
8. What instrument does Mia play? For how long has she played?
9. What does Kim say to Mia when she visits the hospital chapel?
10. How does Mia describe her father's transformation after Teddy's birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Teddy Hall in the novel. How old is Teddy? What is his relationship like with Mia? How would you describe his relationships with his parents?
Essay Topic 2
What significance does Mia's father's transformation from punk musician to middle school signify symbolically in the novel? How does this transformation relate to Mia's transformation? What are Mia's observations about her father's transformation?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Mia Hall as the protagonist of If I Stay. How old is Mia? Based on Mia's observations and her actions, how would you define her character? What are Mia's strongest traits? What are her weakest?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)