7:09 a.m. - 12:19 p.m.
• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Forman, Gayle. If I Stay. Speak publishing; Penguin Group LLC, 2009. Kindle Edition.
• If I Stay is related from the first-person perspective of the protagonist, 17-year-old Mia Hall.
• The narrative frequently shifts between the present-tense and past tense, as Mia recalls her life with her family and friends prior to the automobile crash that leaves her in a coma.
• As opposed to numbered chapters, the novel is related by time which spans the course of 24 hours of Mia’s life.
• Opening with the section “7:09 a.m.,” The narrative in this section is related in the present tense.
• Mia describes waking up to find a thin blanket of snow on her lawn and is happy along with her family to discover that school has been canceled in Mia’s small Oregon...
This section contains 2,116 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)