|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms means someone with very little combat experience?
2. In what do the Viet Cong hide the booby-trapped grenades?
3. What does the Major receive for his part in the My Lai massacre?
4. Which of the following is not a synonym for the term lament?
5. What does the letters AWOL stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
2. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
3. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
4. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
5. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
6. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
7. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
8. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
9. Why are the soldiers bitter?
10. When do the men of the village go fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the character Mad Mark. Include an explanation for his behavior with the Vietnamese he came across throughout this time in Alpha Company. Do you believe his actions throughout the novel were justified or unjustified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)