|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much are the refugees paid for each death?
2. Which of the following ways is not one of the ways O'Brien and Bates get through the holidays?
3. Which type of mine would detonate under vehicles?
4. What does the term fragged mean?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence? The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
Short Essay Questions
1. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
2. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
3. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
4. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
5. When do the men of the village go fishing?
6. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
7. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
8. Why are the soldiers so angry?
9. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
10. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)