|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stands in the center of the refugee camp?
2. What does the term fragged mean?
3. Which emotion term best describes how the scout feels after leaving the Captain and being refused leave?
4. What does Captain Johansen tell O'Brien he would rather be than anything else?
5. What surrounds the perimeter of the refugee camp on the lagoon side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
2. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
3. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
4. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
5. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
6. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
7. Why are the soldiers bitter?
8. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
9. Why are the soldiers so angry?
10. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)