|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following physical signs of stress can be seen in Major Callicles?
2. What does Major Callicles feel is infecting the US military?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence? They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence? The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
5. Which of the following terms does not accurately describe Captain Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
2. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
3. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
4. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
5. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
6. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
7. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
8. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
9. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
10. When do the men of the village go fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay making a personal judgment on the Vietnam War based on O'Brien's experience. Do you believe O'Brien feels the war was justified? Do you believe that O'Brien feels his own actions were justified? Do you believe O'Brien feels the actions of the others he knew during his time in the war were justified?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)