|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best antonym to the term lewd?
2. Which of the following is not a synonym for the term lament?
3. Which of the following is not an accurate description of guerrilla warfare?
4. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
5. To what does O'Brien liken Johansen's leaving Alpha Company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
2. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
3. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
4. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
5. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
6. When do the men of the village go fishing?
7. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
8. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
9. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
10. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why O'Brien continued his friendship with Erik throughout his tour. Then add a portion explaining why or why not you believe this friendship would continue. Do you think O'Brien would want to be your friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the character Mad Mark. Include an explanation for his behavior with the Vietnamese he came across throughout this time in Alpha Company. Do you believe his actions throughout the novel were justified or unjustified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing which event in the story struck you as being the most horrible and why. How does this event compare to any event in your own life which you had previously considered horrible? Describe how levels of horror may change throughout one's life.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)