|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letters AWOL stand for?
2. Which type of mine scares the soldiers the most?
3. Why does the Vietnamese scout want request leave?
4. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
5. What does the term fragged mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
2. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
3. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
4. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
5. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
6. When do the men of the village go fishing?
7. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
8. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
9. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
10. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)