|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letters AWOL stand for?
2. Which of the following is not a synonym for the term lament?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of a scout?
4. For what event is Major Callicles asked to leave the base camp permanently?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description of guerrilla warfare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
2. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
3. Why are the soldiers bitter?
4. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
5. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
6. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
7. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
8. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
9. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a letter to a congressman penned by O'Brien after he returned to America from his tour in Vietnam. Be sure to include his strong feelings, beliefs and reasons behind these beliefs and feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay sharing your point of view on the war in Vietnam after reading O'Brien's account. Did your point of view change from what it was before you read his account? Why do you think it did/did not change? Use examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)