|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
2. What do the soldiers do to the well in the village where they found the Viet Cong rifle?
3. Which of the following events takes place about one hour after the new commander takes charge of Alpha Company?
4. Which of the following describes how the female Viet Cong soldier died?
5. What practice seems to afford the soldiers some protection from nighttime Viet Cong attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
2. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
3. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
4. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
5. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
6. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
7. Why are the soldiers bitter?
8. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
9. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
10. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)