|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stands in the center of the refugee camp?
2. Why is Pinkville referred to by this name?
3. Which of the following physical signs of stress can be seen in Major Callicles?
4. Which of the following words best describes life at LZ Gator?
5. Which of the following terms does not accurately describe Captain Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
2. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
3. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
4. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
5. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
6. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
7. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
8. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
9. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay sharing your point of view on the war in Vietnam after reading O'Brien's account. Did your point of view change from what it was before you read his account? Why do you think it did/did not change? Use examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)