|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence? The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
2. In which part of her body had she been shot?
3. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
4. What does O'Brien acquire just after Alpha Company gets a new commander?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence? They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
2. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
3. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
4. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
5. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
6. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
7. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
8. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
9. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
10. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing which event in the story struck you as being the most horrible and why. How does this event compare to any event in your own life which you had previously considered horrible? Describe how levels of horror may change throughout one's life.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)