|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers do to the well in the village where they found the Viet Cong rifle?
2. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
3. Which of the following terms means someone with very little combat experience?
4. What does O'Brien acquire just after Alpha Company gets a new commander?
5. Which of the following is the best definition of a scout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
2. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
3. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
4. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
5. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
6. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
7. When do the men of the village go fishing?
8. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
9. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
10. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a letter to a congressman penned by O'Brien after he returned to America from his tour in Vietnam. Be sure to include his strong feelings, beliefs and reasons behind these beliefs and feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)