|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the Viet Cong hide the booby-trapped grenades?
2. What stands in the center of the refugee camp?
3. Which of the following terms means someone with very little combat experience?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence? The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
5. What does Major Callicles feel is infecting the US military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the soldiers so angry?
2. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
3. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
4. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
5. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
6. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
7. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
8. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
9. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
10. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of why women and children would be used as soldiers by the Viet Cong. Why would women and children make good soldiers? If you were in charge of an army, would you use women and children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)