|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
2. Where does O'Brien go for R&R soon after he starts at LZ Gator?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence? They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
4. What do some of the soldiers give to the dying female Viet Cong soldier?
5. What does Alpha company come across in chapter twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
2. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
3. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
4. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
5. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
6. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
7. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
8. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
9. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)