|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Johansen tell O'Brien he would rather be than anything else?
2. Which of the following is the best antonym to the term lewd?
3. Which of the following ways is not one of the ways O'Brien and Bates get through the holidays?
4. How does O'Brien feel in chapter thirteen?
5. Where does O'Brien go for R&R soon after he starts at LZ Gator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
2. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
3. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
4. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
5. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
6. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
7. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
8. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
9. Why are the soldiers bitter?
10. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing which event in the story struck you as being the most horrible and why. How does this event compare to any event in your own life which you had previously considered horrible? Describe how levels of horror may change throughout one's life.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)