|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does O'Brien feel in chapter thirteen?
2. For what event is Major Callicles asked to leave the base camp permanently?
3. What does Alpha company come across in chapter twelve?
4. What does the Major receive for his part in the My Lai massacre?
5. What is Alpha Company looking for on their marches in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
2. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
3. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
4. When do the men of the village go fishing?
5. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
6. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
7. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
8. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
9. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
10. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay sharing your point of view on the war in Vietnam after reading O'Brien's account. Did your point of view change from what it was before you read his account? Why do you think it did/did not change? Use examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of why women and children would be used as soldiers by the Viet Cong. Why would women and children make good soldiers? If you were in charge of an army, would you use women and children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)