|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following physical signs of stress can be seen in Major Callicles?
2. Which of the following words best describes life at LZ Gator?
3. Where does Alpha Company find a Viet Cong rifle?
4. Which of the following terms means someone with very little combat experience?
5. Which of the following is the best antonym to the term lewd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
2. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
3. When do the men of the village go fishing?
4. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
5. Why are the soldiers so angry?
6. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
7. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
8. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
9. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
10. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the character Mad Mark. Include an explanation for his behavior with the Vietnamese he came across throughout this time in Alpha Company. Do you believe his actions throughout the novel were justified or unjustified? Why or why not?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)