|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
(a) Curse wildly
(b) Lost all sense of proper human interpersonal communication
(d) Lost all manners
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
(b) Closely guarded
(c) Deprived of something
(d) Short hair cut
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
(a) Cold war
(b) Baby boom
6. What does the battalion commander believe is O'Brien's problem?
(a) Afraid of dying
(b) Inadequate training
(c) Moral struggle
(d) Poor hygiene
7. What does it mean to the members of Alpha Company to be getting short?
(a) Loss of a limb
(b) 5-6 months left in Vietnam
(c) Injured but not incapacitated
(d) Out of ammunition
8. Which of the following was one of O'Brien's common summer activities?
9. When does O'Brien execute his plan to desert infantry training?
(a) Thanksgiving break
(b) Christmas break
(c) Spring break
(d) Summer break
10. Which of the following is the best synonym for disdain as it is used in the following sentence?
He looks with disdain on those that flourish in basic training.
(a) Turns nose up at
11. With whom does O'Brien request a meeting?
(b) Battalion commander
(d) Drill sergeant
12. Which of the following is not a synonym for spry?
13. Which of the following terms best describes how O'Brien feels during basic training?
14. Which of the following is the literary term for when O'Brien keeps adding elements from events which happened prior to those he is describing?
(d) Past Regression
15. What does O'Brien think will happen to him in the rainforest in Vietnam?
(a) Lose his morals
(c) Bullied by his commanders
(d) Forced to complete activities he disagrees with
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Brien help Alpha company do the day after the nighttime attack?
2. Who prepares O'Brien's induction papers?
3. With what is O'Brien ill?
4. What seems to happen to the jungle as the soldiers stare at it into the darkness?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description of the days in O'Brien's company?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)