|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does O'Brien begin reading?
2. With what is O'Brien ill?
(a) A cold
3. What does O'Brien experience for the first time in chapter nine?
(a) Killing his first man
(b) Gets lost in the jungle
(c) Bivouacked on a trail
4. Who leads the march in chapter nine?
(a) Mad Mark
(d) Captain Johansen
5. Which of the following was one of O'Brien's common winter activities?
(b) Ice skating
6. Which of the following best describes what O'Brien is afraid of?
(d) Inability to be courageous
7. Which of the following does O'Brien use to describe the way Alpha company came out of the jungle?
(a) Like mad men
(b) So silently that he missed their exit
(c) Carefully and quietly
(d) As if they were being chased
8. On which peninsula does chapter eleven occur?
(c) My Lai
9. How many attempts does O'Brien make to work through the military hierarchy for guidance and counsel?
10. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
(a) It is only one scene
(b) It is the longest
(c) It shows the most compassion
(d) It was not written by O'Brien
11. What does the term ingratiate mean?
(a) Curry favor
(b) Respond to
(c) Move away from
12. Which of the following is the best definition for bellicose?
13. What does O'Brien learn about his military future at the beginning of chapter six?
(a) O'Brien learns he is an excellent shot
(b) O'Brien learns that he will be sent to the foxholes of Vietnam
(c) O'Brien learns that he will be able to get out of the military
(d) O'Brien learns he will not be sent to Vietnam
14. Which term means to march with items such as a pack or some military supplies?
15. In what branch of the military does O'Brien serve?
(d) Air Force
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a synonym for "Charlie"?
2. How long did Erik sign up for at the end of basic training?
3. When does O'Brien execute his plan to desert infantry training?
4. Which of the following best describes how O'Brien feels about the war?
5. What does O'Brien struggle with throughout the summer?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)