|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny threaten to do if Johnny ever comes around his house again?
2. Why does Jones say he doesn't confront Madge?
3. What does Jones say Madge looks like to him?
4. When do Jones and Alice want to get married?
5. What does Houghton tell the court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
2. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
3. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
4. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
5. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
6. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
7. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
8. Why does Jones run away?
9. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
10. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)