|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say is watching him in his dream?
2. What does Jones say he enjoys in Chapter 18?
3. What do Jones' co-workers joke about in Chapter 15?
4. Where does Jones meet Alice in Chapter 19?
5. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
2. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
3. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
5. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Jones run away?
7. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
10. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How is Himes' work different from Wright's and Baldwin's? In what way is Himes' work equally relevant to his more famous counterparts'?
Essay Topic 3
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)