|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones try to contact on his break in Chapter 18?
2. Who attends the lecture with Jones and Alice?
3. What is Jones choosing at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. Where does Jones wake up at the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. What does Madge tell Jones to do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
3. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
4. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
5. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
6. Why does Jones run away?
7. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
8. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
9. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
10. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 2
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 3
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)