|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police officers discover in Jones' car?
2. What does Herbie say is the only thing he wants?
3. Who do Jones and his friends say they should be fighting?
4. Who does Madge threaten to call as Jones leaves?
5. Who does Herbie say Jones must make his complaint through?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
2. How does Don help Jones in this section?
3. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
5. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
6. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
7. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
8. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
9. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
10. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the meanings of Jones' dreams? What meaning do the dreams bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)