|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company is Mr. Houghton the head of?
2. Where is Elsie from?
3. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
4. Where does Alice want Jones to go with her to?
5. What does Madge tell Don a nigger gave her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
2. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
3. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
4. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
5. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
6. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
7. How does Don help Jones in this section?
8. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
9. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
10. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 2
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 3
How is Himes' work different from Wright's and Baldwin's? In what way is Himes' work equally relevant to his more famous counterparts'?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)