|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones prepare to talk to at the end of Chapter 12?
2. What does Jones decide is the only thing he ever wanted?
3. What is Jones choosing at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
5. Why does Jones run away from the security guards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
2. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
5. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
6. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
7. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
8. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
9. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
10. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 2
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)