|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones think Don is telling him?
2. What does Herbie say is the only thing he wants?
3. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
4. Why does Jones say he doesn't confront Madge?
5. What does Jones talk to his friends about in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Houghton tell the court?
2. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
3. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
4. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
5. How does Don help Jones in this section?
6. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
9. How does Jones get accused of rape in Chapter 20?
10. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 2
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)