|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jones want to drive to?
2. What does Jones go to get when he leaves Leighton and Alice?
3. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
4. Why does Jones say he doesn't confront Madge?
5. Who does Jones try to contact on his break in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
2. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
3. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
4. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
5. How does Jones get accused of rape in Chapter 20?
6. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
7. What does Houghton tell the court?
8. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
9. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
10. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 3
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)