|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the two police officers send Jones when they discover he is wanted for rape?
2. What do the Mexicans say Jones already looks like?
3. Who captures Jones in his dream?
4. What does Houghton tell the court?
5. What is Jones shocked to learn when he arrives at the security office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
2. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
3. Why does Jones run away?
4. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
5. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
6. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
7. What does Houghton tell the court?
8. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
9. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
10. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)