|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends the lecture with Jones and Alice?
2. What does Jones think is the best way of dealing with Madge?
3. Where does Jones wake up at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. What does Jones say Alice has done to her face in Chapter 16?
5. Who does Jones plan to kill in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
3. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
4. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
5. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
6. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
7. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
8. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
9. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
10. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)