|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Jones pick up for his meeting with Madge?
2. How does Jones say he takes the power away from Madge?
3. Where is Elsie from?
4. What does the judge say Jones must do to avoid the gun possession charge?
5. What kind of girls does Jones reminisce about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
2. Describe Jones' dream at the beginning of chapter twelve?
3. Why does Jones run away?
4. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
5. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
6. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
7. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
8. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
9. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
10. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)