|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones say he is desperate to do to Madge in Chapter 18?
2. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
3. What does Alice say black people need to accept?
4. What does the judge say Jones must do to avoid the gun possession charge?
5. Where does Jones want to drive to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel.
2. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
3. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
4. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
5. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
6. How does Don help Jones in this section?
7. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
8. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
9. What does Houghton tell the court?
10. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 2
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 3
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)