|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Madge's supervisor?
2. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
3. What does Don tell Jones he should do to Madge?
4. What does Jones go to get when he leaves Leighton and Alice?
5. Who does Herbie say Jones must make his complaint through?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones run away?
2. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
3. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
4. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
5. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
6. How does Jones get accused of rape in Chapter 20?
7. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
8. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
9. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
10. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
Essay Topic 3
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)