|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones say he takes the power away from Madge?
2. How does Madge act towards Jones at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. What does Johnny threaten to do if Johnny ever comes around his house again?
4. What does Elsie say colored people prefer back home?
5. Where does Alice want Jones to go with her to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
2. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
3. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
5. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
6. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
7. How does Don help Jones in this section?
8. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
9. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
10. Describe Jones' dream at the beginning of chapter twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
Essay Topic 3
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)