|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company is Mr. Houghton the head of?
2. When do Jones and Alice want to get married?
3. Who does Houghton hope Jones will be a good example to?
4. What does Alice say black people need to accept?
5. What do Jones' co-workers joke about in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
2. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
3. What does Houghton tell the court?
4. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
5. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
8. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
9. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
10. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
How is Himes' work different from Wright's and Baldwin's? In what way is Himes' work equally relevant to his more famous counterparts'?
Essay Topic 3
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)