|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones prepare to talk to at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Who does Herbie say Jones must make his complaint through?
3. What kind of joke does Jones overhear Kelly tell?
4. What does Herbie say is the only thing he wants?
5. Who does Jones find Madge with in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
2. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
3. What does Houghton tell the court?
4. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
5. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
6. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
7. How does Jones get accused of rape in Chapter 20?
8. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
9. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
10. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 3
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)