|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jones run away from the security guards?
2. What does Elsie say colored people prefer back home?
3. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
4. Who does Jones try to contact on his break in Chapter 18?
5. Where does Alice want Jones to go with her to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
2. How does Don help Jones in this section?
3. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
4. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
5. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
6. Describe Jones' dream at the beginning of chapter twelve?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. How does Jones' anger build to wanting to kill Stoddart?
9. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
10. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)