|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones try to contact on his break in Chapter 18?
2. What does Jones decide is the only thing he ever wanted?
3. Who does Jones prepare to talk to at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What does Jones say he enjoys in Chapter 18?
5. What do the Mexicans say Jones already looks like?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)