|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops the conversation between Jones and Madge?
2. What does Jones say he enjoys in Chapter 18?
3. What company is Mr. Houghton the head of?
4. Who does Jones bump into at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
2. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
3. How does Don help Jones in this section?
4. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
5. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
6. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
7. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
8. Why does Jones run away?
9. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
10. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
Essay Topic 3
What are the meanings of Jones' dreams? What meaning do the dreams bring to the story?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)