|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
2. What do the police officers call Jones and Alice?
3. What is the name of the light colored girl in Alice's sitting room?
4. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
5. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
2. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
3. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
4. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
5. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
6. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
7. How does Jones act at the party?
8. How did Himes start writing?
9. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
10. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)