|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
2. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
3. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
4. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
5. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
2. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
3. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
4. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
5. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
6. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
7. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
8. What was Himes' goal in life?
9. How did Himes start writing?
10. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)