|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Black Boy kill Marie with?
2. What is the name of Himes' autobiography?
3. What was the name of the shipyard the narrator worked at?
4. What is the name of the light colored girl in Alice's sitting room?
5. What restaurant does Jones go to after his argument with Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
2. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
3. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
4. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
5. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
6. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
7. Why did Himes move to Paris?
8. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
9. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
10. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)