|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones take out his frustrations at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
3. What is the supervisor's nationality?
4. What people does the narrator say were sent away?
5. How was Chester's brother blinded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Himes start writing?
2. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
3. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
4. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
5. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
6. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
7. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
8. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
9. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
10. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
Essay Topic 1
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)