|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the two patrol officers take Jones and Alice?
2. What does Jones make reservations for at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
4. What is the name of Jones' girlfriend?
5. Why does Alice hang up on Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
2. How does Jones act at the party?
3. How did Himes start writing?
4. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
5. What was Himes' goal in life?
6. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
7. What kind of area does Alice live in?
8. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
9. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
10. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 2
What are the meanings of Jones' dreams? What meaning do the dreams bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)