|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
2. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
3. Who calls Jones at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Who does Madge say she refuses to work with?
5. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of area does Alice live in?
2. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
3. Why did Himes move to Paris?
4. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
5. How does Jones act at the party?
6. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
7. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
8. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
9. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
10. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 2
How did the war affect how people thought of black people in America? How much did it contribute to the racial revolution over the next 30 years?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)