|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
2. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
3. What does the narrator carry his muscle as high as?
4. What does Conway say a buddy eats?
5. What color is the white boy's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
2. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
3. What was Himes' goal in life?
4. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
5. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
6. How did Himes start writing?
7. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
8. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
9. How does Jones act at the party?
10. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the war affect how people thought of black people in America? How much did it contribute to the racial revolution over the next 30 years?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)