|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say he wants to kill?
2. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
3. What does the narrator say he doesn't have to marry?
4. What does Jones call Madge when she insults him?
5. What does Alice tell Jones he should plead for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
2. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
3. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
4. Why did Himes move to Paris?
5. What kind of area does Alice live in?
6. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
7. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
8. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
9. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
10. What was Himes' goal in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 2
How did the war affect how people thought of black people in America? How much did it contribute to the racial revolution over the next 30 years?
Essay Topic 3
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)