|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice hang up on Jones?
2. How was Chester's brother blinded?
3. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What does the narrator say he felt a crazy impulse to do?
5. What does Jones describe as a frightening conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of area does Alice live in?
2. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
3. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
4. What was Himes' goal in life?
5. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
6. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
7. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
8. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
9. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
10. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)