Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones take out his frustrations at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
3. What is the supervisor's nationality?
4. What people does the narrator say were sent away?
5. How was Chester's brother blinded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Himes start writing?
2. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
3. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
4. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
5. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
6. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
7. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
8. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
9. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
10. Why does Jones decide to kill Stoddart in Chapter 21?
Essay Topic 1
How is Himes' work different from Wright's and Baldwin's? In what way is Himes' work equally relevant to his more famous counterparts'?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)