|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Chester's brother blinded?
2. What does Jones put in the glove compartment of his car?
3. Where do Jones and Alice go shopping at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. In which state was Himes born?
5. What color is the white boy's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
2. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
3. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
4. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
5. What was Himes' goal in life?
6. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
7. Why did Himes move to Paris?
8. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
9. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
10. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)