|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
2. What does Himes say he wanted to become?
3. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
4. What was the name of the shipyard the narrator worked at?
5. What is the name of Alice's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
2. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
3. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
4. How does Jones act at the party?
5. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
6. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
8. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
9. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
10. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)