|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator hear Henry say next door?
2. What does Jones discover one of his purchases has turned into?
3. What does Alice say she wants to do instead of go home?
4. How does Jones say Alice drives through the city?
5. What problem do Leighton and the girls talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
2. Why did Himes move to Paris?
3. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
4. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
5. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
6. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
7. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
8. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
9. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
10. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
Essay Topic 2
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
Essay Topic 3
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)