|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conway say a buddy eats?
2. What does the note say that comes with the restaurant bill?
3. What does the narrator carry his muscle as high as?
4. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
5. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don help Jones in this section?
2. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
3. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
4. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
5. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
6. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
7. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
8. How did Himes start writing?
9. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
10. What kind of area does Alice live in?
Essay Topic 1
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)