|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does Jones say keeps him happy through dinner?
2. What book do Leighton and the girls talk about?
3. What does Jones make reservations for at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Where does Jones say all his friends are?
5. What is the name of the hero of the Lonely Crusade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
2. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
3. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
4. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
5. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
6. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
7. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
8. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
9. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
10. How does Jones act at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
How is Himes' work different from Wright's and Baldwin's? In what way is Himes' work equally relevant to his more famous counterparts'?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)