|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What race was Chester's grandfather's slaveholder?
2. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
3. What restaurant does Jones go to after his argument with Alice?
4. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of area does Alice live in?
2. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
3. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
4. What was Himes' goal in life?
5. How does Jones act at the party?
6. Why did Himes move to Paris?
7. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
8. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
9. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
10. How did Himes start writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the meanings of Jones' dreams? What meaning do the dreams bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)