|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
2. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
3. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
4. What does the narrator say he doesn't have to marry?
5. Who does Mrs. Harrison think Alice and Jones should interact with more regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Himes start writing?
2. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
3. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
4. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
5. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
6. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
7. Why did Himes move to Paris?
8. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
9. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
10. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
Essay Topic 2
What are the meanings of Jones' dreams? What meaning do the dreams bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)