|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say the white girl is attracted to?
2. What is the name of Himes' autobiography?
3. Who does Madge say she refuses to work with?
4. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
5. Which of Wright's novels did Baldwin feel threatened by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
2. How does Jones act at the party?
3. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
4. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
5. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
6. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
7. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
8. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
9. What kind of area does Alice live in?
10. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
How did the war affect how people thought of black people in America? How much did it contribute to the racial revolution over the next 30 years?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)