|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones put in the glove compartment of his car?
2. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does the narrator say he doesn't have to marry?
4. Who does Jones say the white girl is attracted to?
5. What subject did Cheser's mother teach in Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
2. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
3. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
4. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
5. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
6. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
7. What kind of area does Alice live in?
8. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
9. What was Himes' goal in life?
10. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)