|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he intimidates the fearful white woman with?
2. What do the police officers call Jones and Alice?
3. Who does the narrator say he gets into a battle royal with?
4. Where does Jones say all his friends are?
5. What does Jones put in the glove compartment of his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
2. What was Himes' goal in life?
3. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
4. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
5. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
6. Describe Jones' dream at the beginning of chapter twelve?
7. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
8. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
9. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
10. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 2
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)