|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say the rich white folks live?
2. What does Jones describe as a frightening conversation?
3. Why does Alice say she will not be seeing Jones in the future?
4. What does Conway say a buddy eats?
5. What is the name of the woman the supervisor directs the narrator to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
2. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
3. What was Himes' goal in life?
4. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
5. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
6. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
7. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
8. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
9. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
10. How does Jones act at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
Essay Topic 2
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 3
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)