|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
2. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
3. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
4. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
5. What word best describes what Jones thinks about Mr. Harrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
2. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
3. What are Elsie's opinion of black Southerners?
4. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
5. What is Jones' mood when he wakes up?
6. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
7. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
8. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
9. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
10. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Alice's views of the Negro problem differ from her parents' views? Why do they have such a difference in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)