|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
2. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
3. Which of his co-workers does Jones talk to Alice about?
4. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
5. Where was Chester Himes in 1953?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
2. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
3. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
4. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
5. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
6. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
7. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
8. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
9. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
10. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)