|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones make reservations for at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How was Chester's brother blinded?
3. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Where do the two patrol officers take Jones and Alice?
5. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
2. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
3. How does Jones say Madge makes him feel in this section?
4. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
5. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
6. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
7. How did Himes start writing?
8. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it said that Jones makes own problems? What is Himes' views on Jones as a person and how does he express these views?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)