|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book do Leighton and the girls talk about?
2. What does Alice say she wants to do instead of go home?
3. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
4. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
5. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
2. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
3. Why did Himes move to Paris?
4. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
5. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
6. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
7. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
8. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
9. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
10. How did Himes start writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Leighton's opinions on the Negro problem? What does Jones think about his opinions? What would people think about Leighton's opinions today?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)