|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What people does the narrator say were sent away?
2. What is the name of Alice's friend?
3. In which state was Himes born?
4. What does Jones tell Alice he is desperate for her to understand?
5. What race was Chester's grandfather's slaveholder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
2. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
3. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
4. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
5. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
6. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
7. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
8. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
9. How does Jones act at the party?
10. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jones' problem with Leighton? What kind of person would a white man have to be for Jones to like him?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)