|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a tacker?
2. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
3. What does Black Boy kill Marie with?
4. What does the note say that comes with the restaurant bill?
5. What is the name of the hero of the Lonely Crusade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
2. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
3. How does Madge react to Jones breaking into her apartment?
4. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
5. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
6. How does Don help Jones in this section?
7. How does Jones act at the party?
8. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
9. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
10. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of life were black people leading in 1940s America? Choose one of the black characters in the book and discuss how that character symbolizes the changes occurring in forties America?
Essay Topic 2
How has racism oppressed Jones? What would Jones' life be like if his life had not been oppressed by racism?
Essay Topic 3
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)