|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
2. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
3. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
4. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
5. What color is the white boy's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
2. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
3. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
4. How does Jones act at the party?
5. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
6. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
7. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
8. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
9. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
10. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are Jones and Madge attracted to each other? Why does this attraction become so destructive?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Jones not entirely innocent of the accusations directed at him at the end of the novel? How will Jones cope in the army?
Essay Topic 3
What would have happened to Jones if Madge hadn't dropped the charged? How much does Jones' attitude go against him in such a trial? In what way could it be said that Jones is not entirely innocent of the charges?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)