|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the two patrol officers take Jones and Alice?
2. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
3. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
4. What does Alice introduce Leighton as?
5. What is slang for a white nigger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
2. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
3. How does Jones act at the party?
4. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
5. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
6. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
7. What was Himes' goal in life?
8. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
9. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
10. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against segregation? What are the arguments for and against integration? Why did people decide integration was the way forward?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)