|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say he wants to kill?
2. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
3. Why does Jones say he kisses Alice lightly?
4. What is the supervisor's nationality?
5. In which state was Himes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
2. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
3. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
4. How does Jones act at the party?
5. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
6. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
7. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
8. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
9. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
10. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How was Himes brought up and how was his upbringing different to many other African American writers during that time? How did Himes' upbringing affect his writings?
Essay Topic 3
What does Jones mean by becoming a real man? What obstacles are in Jones' way to achieve this dream and how can he overcome them?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)