|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops the conversation between Jones and Madge?
(a) A fight.
(b) A bell.
(c) A police raid.
(d) A fire alarm.
2. What kind of girls does Jones reminisce about?
(a) White girls.
(b) Black girls.
(c) Thin girls.
(d) Big girls.
3. What does MacDougal say Jones has to do before he can have his job back?
(a) Prove he can behave himself.
(b) Do community service.
(c) Apologize to Madge.
(d) Work for no money for a while.
4. Who does Jones prepare to talk to at the end of Chapter 12?
(b) The manager.
(c) The union steward.
5. Where does Jones wake up at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) His apartment.
(b) The shipyard prison.
(c) Alice's house.
(d) The shipyard infirmary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say is watching him in his dream?
2. Where is Madge staying?
3. Who does Houghton hope Jones will be a good example to?
4. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
5. What does Jones pick up as a weapon before he confronts the white boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don help Jones in this section?
2. Why does Jones run away?
3. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
4. Summarize the novel.
5. How does Jones get accused of rape in Chapter 20?
6. What does Jones tell Alice about his fears in Chapter 19?
7. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
8. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
9. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
10. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)