|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones decide is the only thing he ever wanted?
(a) To have stability.
(b) To write.
(c) To leave America.
(d) To marry Alice.
2. Why does Jones run away from the security guards?
(a) He knows he won't get justice.
(b) He knows he will lose Alice.
(c) He knows he will be killed.
(d) He knows he has to see Alice again.
3. Who captures Jones in his dream?
(a) A white woman.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A Marine.
(d) A police officer.
4. What does Jones say is his universal desire?
(a) To fall in love.
(b) To be a man.
(c) To have a place.
(d) To be part of society.
5. How does Jones describe Madge's voice?
(a) Tense and nervous.
(b) Syrupy and thin.
(c) Excited and thick.
(d) Silky and smoothe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones find Madge with in Chapter 18?
2. What does Jones say Madge goes into when he confronts her?
3. What does Don tell Jones he should do to Madge?
4. What does Madge tell Don a nigger gave her?
5. Who does Jones confront in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Houghton tell the court?
2. What does Jones think about when he wakes up from his dream in Chapter 18?
3. What are Alice's thoughts on segregation?
4. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
5. Why does Jones and his co-workers think the blacks should not join the army?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. How does Jones takes the power away from Madge in Chapter 15?
8. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
9. Why does Jones run away?
10. What does Jones talk about with Herbie?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)