|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones decide is the only thing he ever wanted?
(a) To write.
(b) To marry Alice.
(c) To leave America.
(d) To have stability.
2. What does Jones say Alice has done to her face in Chapter 16?
(a) Ruined it.
(b) Powdered it.
(c) Scratched it.
(d) Bruised it.
3. How does Madge act towards Jones at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What does Jones think will happen no matter what he does?
(a) He is going to go to prison.
(b) He is going to get fired.
(c) He is going to be controlled by white people.
(d) He going to have to conform.
5. What stops the conversation between Jones and Madge?
(a) A bell.
(b) A fight.
(c) A fire alarm.
(d) A police raid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones say is his universal desire?
2. What does Jones say Madge goes into when he confronts her?
3. What does Jones talk to his friends about in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Jones want to drive to?
5. Where is Madge staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones run away?
2. Describe the phone conversation between Alice and Jones in Chapter 16.
3. What does Houghton tell the court?
4. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
5. Summarize the novel.
6. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
7. How does Jones finds himself at the San Pedro precinct in Chapter 21?
8. Describe the conversation between Alice and Jones.
9. How does Jones think marriage to Alice will change him?
10. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)