|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the police officers call Jones and Alice?
(a) Uncle Toms.
2. Which of Wright's novels did Baldwin feel threatened by?
(a) Go Tell to the Mountain.
(c) Invisible Man.
(d) Native Son.
3. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Nazi pilots.
(b) Italian pilots.
(c) British pilots.
(d) Japanese piolts.
4. What restaurant does Jones go to after his argument with Alice?
(a) The Live Room.
(b) The Rest Room.
(c) The Red Room.
(d) The Beat Room.
5. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
(a) The white boy's life.
(b) His future.
(c) His present.
(d) His gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Himes' favorite brother?
2. What subject did Cheser's mother teach in Georgia?
3. How does Jones take out his frustrations at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What race was Chester's grandfather's slaveholder?
5. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
2. What was Himes' goal in life?
3. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
4. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
5. Why did Himes move to Paris?
6. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
7. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
8. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
9. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
10. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)