|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jones say the white girl is attracted to?
(a) The pianist.
(b) Two black boys.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) The barman.
2. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Alice leaving him.
(b) The police arresting him.
(c) Being drafted into the army.
(d) Mr. Harrison shooting him.
3. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
4. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Italian pilots.
(b) Japanese piolts.
(c) Nazi pilots.
(d) British pilots.
5. What is the name of Himes' favorite brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Native Son?
2. What does Jones describe as a frightening conversation?
3. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
4. What is Alice's father's title?
5. What subject did Cheser's mother teach in Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
2. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
3. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
4. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What does Jones observe in the Rest Room restaurant?
6. Why did Himes move to Paris?
7. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
8. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
9. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
10. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)