|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
(a) Being shouted at.
(b) Being talked dirty to.
(c) Being hugged.
(d) Being refused.
2. Who does Mrs. Harrison think Alice and Jones should interact with more regularly?
(a) Working class people.
(b) Educated people.
(c) White people.
(d) Black people.
3. What does Jones tell Alice he is desperate for her to understand?
(a) His past.
(b) His longing.
(c) His love.
(d) His fear.
4. Why does Jones say he kisses Alice lightly?
(a) To show he loves her.
(b) To make her smile.
(c) So not to muss her make up.
(d) To keep her guessing.
5. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
(a) Butterfly wings.
(c) A Jack-in-the-box.
(d) A coiled snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Himes say he wanted to become?
2. What is slang for a white nigger?
3. Who wrote Native Son?
4. What was the name of the shipyard the narrator worked at?
5. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
2. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
3. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
4. What does MacDougal Jones in Chapter 20?
5. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
6. How does Jones get drafted into the army?
7. Why does Jones decide not to confront Madge in Chapter 16?
8. Describe the confrontation between Jones and Stoddart in this section.
9. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
10. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)