|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Native Son?
(a) Elijah Muhammed.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Chester Himes.
2. Which of his co-workers does Jones talk to Alice about?
3. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
(a) A coiled snake.
(c) Butterfly wings.
(d) A Jack-in-the-box.
4. How does the narrator describe the shape of Alice's face?
5. What race was Chester's grandfather's slaveholder?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice say she will not be seeing Jones in the future?
2. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
3. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
4. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
5. What is the supervisor's nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
2. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
3. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
5. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
6. What racial problems does Jones say he encounters on the way to work?
7. How did Himes start writing?
8. What was Himes' goal in life?
9. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
10. Why did Himes move to Paris?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)