|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem do Leighton and the girls talk about?
(a) The Negro probem.
(b) The international problem.
(c) The American problem.
(d) The white problem.
2. What does the narrator hear Henry say next door?
(b) Go to hell.
(c) Not again.
(d) Shut up.
3. Where do the two patrol officers take Jones and Alice?
(a) The police station.
(b) The lakes.
(c) A forest.
4. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) A horse.
(b) A steel door.
(c) A truck.
(d) A car.
5. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A travel pass.
(b) A food pass.
(c) A sick pass.
(d) A worker's pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the color of Alice's hair?
2. What does Jones call Madge when she insults him?
3. What does Conway say a buddy eats?
4. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
5. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Himes move to Paris?
2. What was Himes' goal in life?
3. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
4. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
5. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
6. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
7. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
8. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
9. How does Alice startle both the police and Jones when the police stop them for speeding?
10. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)