|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Chester's brother blinded?
(a) In a fight.
(b) In a factory accident.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a science experiment.
2. Who does Madge say she refuses to work with?
(a) A kiki.
(b) A paddy.
(c) A spick.
(d) A nigger.
3. What does Alice introduce Leighton as?
(a) Her co-worker.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her fellow student.
4. When does the narrator say he can give the man money for the dog?
(b) In the afternoon.
(d) In an hour.
5. What is a tacker?
(a) A black worker.
(b) A pipe fitter.
(c) A monkey wrench.
(d) A carpenter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alice's father's title?
2. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
3. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
4. Who does Jones say the white girl is attracted to?
5. What was the name of the shipyard the narrator worked at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
2. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
3. How did Himes start writing?
4. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
5. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
6. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
7. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
8. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
9. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
10. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)