|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a tacker?
(a) A pipe fitter.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A monkey wrench.
(d) A black worker.
2. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He had lived outside the south.
(b) He knew his own mind.
(c) He had learned practical skills.
(d) He knew how to talk to a white man.
3. Where does Jones say all his friends are?
(b) The police force.
(d) The army.
4. What does the narrator say caught him in Manchester?
(a) A traffic queue.
(b) A cop.
(c) A truck.
(d) A red light.
5. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
(c) Iron mongering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
2. How was Chester's brother blinded?
3. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
4. What is the supervisor's nationality?
5. What does Alice introduce Leighton as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones act at the party?
2. What do Alice and Jones talk about at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Why does Als think Himes' work is important?
4. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
5. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
6. What problems does Jones encounter with his boss MacDougal?
7. What kind of area does Alice live in?
8. What problem do Baldwin and Wright have with each other?
9. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
10. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)