|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say caught him in Manchester?
(a) A traffic queue.
(b) A cop.
(c) A red light.
(d) A truck.
2. Who wrote Native Son?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Chester Himes.
(c) Elijah Muhammed.
(d) Ralph Ellison.
3. What is the name of Alice's friend?
4. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He knew how to talk to a white man.
(b) He had lived outside the south.
(c) He had learned practical skills.
(d) He knew his own mind.
5. Who does Jones drive out to see at the end of Chapter 9?
(b) The white boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Himes' favorite brother?
2. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
3. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
4. What does Jones put in the glove compartment of his car?
5. Which of his co-workers does Jones talk to Alice about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
2. What does Jones say he thinks of his girlfriend Alice?
3. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
4. How does Alice react to Jones' bad behavior in the restaurant?
5. How does Jones describe his supervisor Kelly?
6. Why did Himes move to Paris?
7. What do Alice and her friends talk about in this section?
8. How does Alice react to what Jones tells her about his confrontation with Madge?
9. Why does Jones drive to see Alice at the end of Chapter 9?
10. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)