|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
2. What does Alice say she wants to do instead of go home?
(a) Drive to another city.
(b) Hurt some white people.
(c) Make out.
(d) Have some fun.
3. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
(a) He stepped in front of a taxi.
(b) He walked through a glass door.
(c) He fell down an elevator shaft.
(d) He got beaten up.
4. What does the narrator carry his muscle as high as?
(a) His chin.
(b) His forehead.
(c) His ears.
(d) His eyes.
5. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
(a) Hits the wall.
(b) Shouts out.
(c) Jumps to his feet.
(d) Kicks the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
2. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
3. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
4. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
5. What is slang for a white nigger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones act at the party?
2. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
3. What does Himes say is the new variety of Uncle Toming?
4. Why did Himes move to Paris?
5. What problems does Jones have with Leighton?
6. How does Jones say the white women treat him?
7. What was Himes' goal in life?
8. Why does Jones decide not to kill the white boy?
9. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
10. What does Jones dream about the police in Chapter 1?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)