|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jones take out his frustrations at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) He slaps Alice.
(b) He hits a guest.
(c) He breaks a vase.
(d) He kicks a dog.
2. What is the name of Alice's friend?
3. What is Alice's father's title?
4. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
(c) Iron mongering.
5. What does Jones call Madge when she insults him?
(a) A white whore.
(b) A cracker bitch.
(c) A slut.
(d) A nigger lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
2. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
3. Who does Mrs. Harrison think Alice and Jones should interact with more regularly?
4. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
5. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jones have with the white boy?
2. What is the mood between Alice and Jones as they eat dinner at the restaurant?
3. What problems does Jones have with Madge in this section?
4. How does Mrs. Harrison think the black should deal with the white people?
5. What does Jones feel like when he leaves Alice's house?
6. How does Jones prepare to kill the white boy?
7. How did Himes start writing?
8. Why does Dr. Harrison say he is proud of black men in this section?
9. Why did Himes' mother Estelle have a problem with Himes' father?
10. Why does Als think Himes decided to write crime novels?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)