|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones decide is the only way he calm himself after hearing Kelly's joke?
(a) By hurting himself.
(b) By killing the white boy.
(c) By going to the bar.
(d) By confronting Madge.
2. What do Jones' co-workers joke about in Chapter 15?
(a) Picking cotton.
(c) White men dancing.
(d) Wanting white women.
3. What does Jones think is the best way of dealing with Madge?
(a) Reporting her.
(b) Raping her.
(c) Killing her.
(d) Talking to her husband.
4. What does Madge tell Jones to do to her?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Rape her.
(c) Hold her.
(d) Beat her.
5. How does Jones describe Madge's voice?
(a) Silky and smoothe.
(b) Tense and nervous.
(c) Syrupy and thin.
(d) Excited and thick.
6. What does Jones dream about in Chapter 22?
(a) Raping Madge.
(b) Having children with Alice.
(c) Settling in Florida.
(d) Killing Stoddart.
7. What does Jones think will happen no matter what he does?
(a) He is going to be controlled by white people.
(b) He is going to go to prison.
(c) He going to have to conform.
(d) He is going to get fired.
8. What do the police officers discover in Jones' car?
(b) A gun.
(c) A dead body.
(d) Stolen money.
9. How does Madge act towards Jones at the beginning of Chapter 15?
10. What do the Mexicans say Jones already looks like?
(a) As if he has been working in the coal mines.
(b) As if he has already been in a war.
(c) As if he has been henpecked.
(d) As if he has spent a year in jail.
11. Where is Madge staying?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A shack.
(c) Her cousin's house.
(d) Her parents' house.
12. What does Jones talk to his friends about in Chapter 13?
(b) White women.
(c) The army.
13. Who does Jones try to contact on his break in Chapter 18?
14. What kind of act does Jones say Madge goes into when he meets her at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Her flirty act.
(b) Her calm act.
(c) A charming act.
(d) Her fear act.
15. What does Jones say Alice has done to her face in Chapter 16?
(a) Ruined it.
(b) Powdered it.
(c) Bruised it.
(d) Scratched it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Houghton tell the court?
2. Who does Jones prepare to talk to at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What are Madge and Jones interrupted by?
4. What does Jones ask MacDougal in Chapter 20?
5. What does the judge say Jones must do to avoid the gun possession charge?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)