|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones say he enjoys in Chapter 18?
(d) His job.
2. Who do Jones and his friends say they should be fighting?
(a) The union.
(c) The white man.
(d) The government.
3. Where is Elsie from?
(a) New York.
4. What does Elsie say colored people prefer back home?
(a) Keeping their jobs.
(b) Their own company.
(c) Working hard.
(d) Walking the countryside.
5. What does Jones think will happen no matter what he does?
(a) He is going to go to prison.
(b) He going to have to conform.
(c) He is going to be controlled by white people.
(d) He is going to get fired.
6. What does Jones ask Alice in Chapter 19?
(a) To separate from him.
(b) To run away with him.
(c) To move in with him.
(d) To marry him.
7. What does Houghton tell the court?
(a) Jones is a good man.
(b) Madge has admitted she lied.
(c) Madge has dropped the charges.
(d) Jones has a history of bad behavior.
8. What does Jones say Alice has done to her face in Chapter 16?
(a) Bruised it.
(b) Powdered it.
(c) Ruined it.
(d) Scratched it.
9. What does Jones think is the best way of dealing with Madge?
(a) Raping her.
(b) Killing her.
(c) Reporting her.
(d) Talking to her husband.
10. What kills Alice in Chapter 12 in Jones' dream?
11. What does Don tell Jones he should do to Madge?
(a) Cure her.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Have fun with her.
12. Who does Jones say is watching him in his dream?
(a) Thousands of Klu-Klux-Klan.
(b) A pack of wolves.
(c) Millions of white women.
(d) His parents.
13. What does Jones say is his universal desire?
(a) To be part of society.
(b) To have a place.
(c) To be a man.
(d) To fall in love.
14. What does Jones pick up as a weapon before he confronts the white boy?
(a) Lead piping.
(b) A brick.
(c) A wooden staff.
(d) A knife.
15. How does Jones describe Madge's voice?
(a) Tense and nervous.
(b) Syrupy and thin.
(c) Excited and thick.
(d) Silky and smoothe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of act does Jones say Madge goes into when he meets her at the end of Chapter 15?
2. Who captures Jones in his dream?
3. What do the white and black boy fight with in Jones' dream?
4. Why does Elsie think God made colored people different from whites?
5. How does Jones feel when he wakes up from his dream?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)