|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the white boy's hair?
2. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
(a) Two sailors.
(b) Two black men.
(c) Two construction workers.
(d) Two pimps.
3. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
4. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
(a) His gun.
(b) His present.
(c) The white boy's life.
(d) His future.
5. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
(a) A police woman.
(b) An academic.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A social worker.
6. Who does Jones drive out to see at the end of Chapter 9?
(b) The white boy.
7. Where was Chester Himes in 1953?
(a) San Francisco.
8. How does Jones say Alice drives through the city?
(a) As if something was after her.
(b) As if she was in labor.
(c) As if she wanted to die.
(d) As if she was possessed.
9. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He knew how to talk to a white man.
(b) He knew his own mind.
(c) He had lived outside the south.
(d) He had learned practical skills.
10. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
(a) He got beaten up.
(b) He stepped in front of a taxi.
(c) He fell down an elevator shaft.
(d) He walked through a glass door.
11. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
(a) Hits the wall.
(b) Kicks the table.
(c) Shouts out.
(d) Jumps to his feet.
12. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A travel pass.
(b) A food pass.
(c) A worker's pass.
(d) A sick pass.
13. Where does Jones say all his friends are?
(b) The police force.
(c) The army.
14. What is the name of the light colored girl in Alice's sitting room?
15. What does Jones discover one of his purchases has turned into?
(a) A gun.
(b) A pen.
(c) A knife.
(d) An ax.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
2. In which state was Himes born?
3. What does Jones tell Alice he is desperate for her to understand?
4. What does Alice tell Jones he should plead for?
5. What does the narrator say a feeling settles in his stomach like?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)