|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
(a) He fell down an elevator shaft.
(b) He stepped in front of a taxi.
(c) He got beaten up.
(d) He walked through a glass door.
2. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He knew how to talk to a white man.
(b) He had lived outside the south.
(c) He knew his own mind.
(d) He had learned practical skills.
3. Who calls Jones at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(b) Mr. Harrison.
(d) Mrs. Harrison.
4. What is the name of Alice's friend?
5. What does Mrs. Harrison think it is important to keep moving forward?
(a) The civil rights movement.
(b) Integration with the whites.
(d) Education for all.
6. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
7. What does Conway say a buddy eats?
8. What does the narrator say he felt a crazy impulse to do?
9. Who does Jones say he wants to kill?
(a) The plant's Mr. Tom.
(d) The blond white boy.
10. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) A car.
(b) A steel door.
(c) A truck.
(d) A horse.
11. Where does the narrator say the rich white folks live?
(b) Orange County.
(d) George Town.
12. Who does Madge say she refuses to work with?
(a) A kiki.
(b) A nigger.
(c) A paddy.
(d) A spick.
13. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Italian pilots.
(b) Japanese piolts.
(c) British pilots.
(d) Nazi pilots.
14. How does the narrator describe the shape of Alice's face?
15. What does Jones describe as a frightening conversation?
(b) Whether he will go to university.
(c) If he will be drafted.
(d) Integration with the whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones call Madge when she insults him?
2. Where was Chester Himes in 1953?
3. What book do Leighton and the girls talk about?
4. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
5. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)