|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones make reservations for at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(b) The theater.
(c) A movie.
(d) A book club.
2. Where does Jones say all his friends are?
(b) The police force.
(c) The army.
3. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A sick pass.
(b) A worker's pass.
(c) A travel pass.
(d) A food pass.
4. What subject did Cheser's mother teach in Georgia?
5. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
(a) They want to search their truck.
(b) They are black.
(c) They are speeding.
(d) They have no license plate.
6. When does the narrator say he can give the man money for the dog?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In an hour.
7. Who does Jones drive out to see at the end of Chapter 9?
(b) The white boy.
8. What thought does Jones say keeps him happy through dinner?
(a) Picking up his paycheck.
(b) Killing the white boy.
(c) Sleeping with Alice.
(d) Going back to a warm house.
9. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
10. What is the supervisor's nationality?
11. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
12. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
(b) Iron mongering.
13. Who does Mrs. Harrison think Alice and Jones should interact with more regularly?
(a) White people.
(b) Educated people.
(c) Working class people.
(d) Black people.
14. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Japanese piolts.
(b) Italian pilots.
(c) British pilots.
(d) Nazi pilots.
15. What does the narrator say he intimidates the fearful white woman with?
(a) A killer's smile.
(b) A enigmatic smile.
(c) A sexual stare.
(d) A blank stare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones say he wants to kill?
2. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
3. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
4. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What name is Himes derived from?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)