|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alice hang up on Jones?
(a) He talks dirty to her.
(b) He talks about other woman.
(c) He refuses to see her.
(d) He becomes angry.
2. In which state was Himes born?
(b) New York.
3. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) New York.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
4. Where do Jones and Alice go shopping at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) A music store.
(b) A shoe store.
(c) A drugstore.
(d) A book store.
5. What is the name of Jones' girlfriend?
6. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
(a) Being hugged.
(b) Being refused.
(c) Being talked dirty to.
(d) Being shouted at.
7. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Harrison shooting him.
(b) Being drafted into the army.
(c) The police arresting him.
(d) Alice leaving him.
8. What is the name of the woman the supervisor directs the narrator to?
9. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
(a) His gun.
(b) His future.
(c) His present.
(d) The white boy's life.
10. What book do Leighton and the girls talk about?
(a) Invisible Man.
(b) Native Son.
(c) Go Tell it to the Mountain.
(d) Giovianni's Room.
11. Who does Madge say she refuses to work with?
(a) A kiki.
(b) A nigger.
(c) A paddy.
(d) A spick.
12. What word best describes what Jones thinks about Mr. Harrison?
13. What is the name of the hero of Native Son?
(a) Malcolm Marshall.
(b) Bigger Thomas.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Jimmy Crow.
14. What does Jones describe Alice as in Chapter 11?
(a) A social worker.
(b) A kitten.
(c) An academic.
(d) A police woman.
15. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
(a) They are speeding.
(b) They want to search their truck.
(c) They have no license plate.
(d) They are black.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Wright's novels did Baldwin feel threatened by?
2. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
3. What does Jones discover one of his purchases has turned into?
4. What problem do Leighton and the girls talk about?
5. What thought does Jones say keeps him happy through dinner?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)