|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a tacker?
(a) A monkey wrench.
(b) A pipe fitter.
(c) A black worker.
(d) A carpenter.
2. Where does the narrator say the rich white folks live?
(b) Orange County.
(d) George Town.
3. What name is Himes derived from?
4. Where was Chester Himes in 1953?
(c) San Francisco.
5. What part of New York did Himes' two fictional policeman come from?
(a) The Bronx.
6. What kind of pass does Jones get at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A food pass.
(b) A travel pass.
(c) A worker's pass.
(d) A sick pass.
7. What does the narrator say he doesn't have to marry?
8. What people does the narrator say were sent away?
9. What is the name of the hero of the Lonely Crusade?
10. What does the narrator hear Henry say next door?
(a) Not again.
(b) Shut up.
(d) Go to hell.
11. What does Jones describe as a frightening conversation?
(a) If he will be drafted.
(b) Whether he will go to university.
(d) Integration with the whites.
12. What position does McDougall say he is demoting Jones to?
(b) Pipe fitter.
(c) Oil worker.
13. How does the narrator describe the shape of Alice's face?
14. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
15. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice tell Jones he should plead for?
2. What is Jones and Alice's table next to?
3. What does Jones make reservations for at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does Jones say he has in the palm of his hand?
5. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)