|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
(a) Kicks the table.
(b) Jumps to his feet.
(c) Shouts out.
(d) Hits the wall.
2. Who is with the white girl Jones meets at the restaurant?
(a) Two black men.
(b) Two sailors.
(c) Two construction workers.
(d) Two pimps.
3. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
4. What is the name of the woman the supervisor directs the narrator to?
5. Who does Jones say the white girl is attracted to?
(a) The pianist.
(b) The barman.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) Two black boys.
6. How does Jones say Alice drives through the city?
(a) As if she wanted to die.
(b) As if she was in labor.
(c) As if something was after her.
(d) As if she was possessed.
7. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He knew his own mind.
(b) He knew how to talk to a white man.
(c) He had lived outside the south.
(d) He had learned practical skills.
8. What restaurant does Jones go to after his argument with Alice?
(a) The Rest Room.
(b) The Live Room.
(c) The Red Room.
(d) The Beat Room.
9. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
10. How was Chester's brother blinded?
(a) In a factory accident.
(b) In a fight.
(c) In a science experiment.
(d) In a car accident.
11. What is the name of Himes' favorite brother?
12. Which of Wright's novels did Baldwin feel threatened by?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Invisible Man.
(c) Go Tell to the Mountain.
13. What does Alice tell Jones she doesn't like?
(a) Being shouted at.
(b) Being talked dirty to.
(c) Being hugged.
(d) Being refused.
14. What name is Himes derived from?
15. What book do Leighton and the girls talk about?
(a) Invisible Man.
(b) Giovianni's Room.
(c) Go Tell it to the Mountain.
(d) Native Son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the color of Alice's hair?
2. What was Himes' position at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
3. What does Mrs. Harrison think it is important to keep moving forward?
4. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
5. What does the narrator say he intimidates the fearful white woman with?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)