|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say he intimidates the fearful white woman with?
(a) A killer's smile.
(b) A blank stare.
(c) A sexual stare.
(d) A enigmatic smile.
2. What does the narrator say he felt a crazy impulse to do?
3. Where do the two patrol officers take Jones and Alice?
(b) The police station.
(c) A forest.
(d) The lakes.
4. What did Himes steal from the wealthy elderly couple?
5. Where was Chester Himes in 1953?
(d) San Francisco.
6. Why does Alice say she will not be seeing Jones in the future?
(a) He is too aggressive.
(b) He acted badly.
(c) He is unkind to her.
(d) He has no money.
7. What does Alice tell Jones he should plead for?
(a) His future.
(b) Her hand.
(c) His family.
(d) His job.
8. What country did Himes move to with Lesley Packard?
9. What is the name of Himes' favorite brother?
10. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Nazi pilots.
(b) British pilots.
(c) Italian pilots.
(d) Japanese piolts.
11. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
12. Who wrote Native Son?
(a) Elijah Muhammed.
(b) Chester Himes.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Ralph Ellison.
13. What is the name of Himes' autobiography?
(a) The Quality of Hurt.
(c) Calling Out.
(d) An Unheard Voice.
14. Who does Jones drive out to see at the end of Chapter 9?
(c) The white boy.
15. What did Himes' father teach at the Lincoln Institute?
(b) Iron mongering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator hear Henry say next door?
2. Why do the two patrol officers stop Alice and Jones?
3. What is the name of the woman the supervisor directs the narrator to?
4. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Alice hang up on Jones?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)