|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the shipyard the narrator worked at?
2. When does the narrator say he can give the man money for the dog?
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In an hour.
3. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
4. How does the narrator describe the color of Alice's hair?
(a) Mousy brown.
(b) Peroxide blond.
(c) Coal black.
(d) Silver feathered.
5. Who does Mr. Harrison say the Negro air fighters are intimidating in war?
(a) Nazi pilots.
(b) Japanese piolts.
(c) British pilots.
(d) Italian pilots.
6. What is slang for a white nigger?
7. What does Alice say she wants to do instead of go home?
(a) Hurt some white people.
(b) Make out.
(c) Have some fun.
(d) Drive to another city.
8. How did Himes injure himself at the Wade Park Manor Hotel?
(a) He got beaten up.
(b) He stepped in front of a taxi.
(c) He fell down an elevator shaft.
(d) He walked through a glass door.
9. What is the supervisor's nationality?
10. Why does Alice hang up on Jones?
(a) He refuses to see her.
(b) He talks about other woman.
(c) He talks dirty to her.
(d) He becomes angry.
11. What does the note say that comes with the restaurant bill?
(a) Jones will be lynched.
(b) The restaurant has a job opening.
(c) Jones is not welcome back.
(d) The restaurant has called the police.
12. What does Jones dream about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Alice leaving him.
(b) The police arresting him.
(c) Being drafted into the army.
(d) Mr. Harrison shooting him.
13. What does Jones say he feels has crushed him at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) A truck.
(b) A car.
(c) A steel door.
(d) A horse.
14. What was the name of the theater the narrator went to the previous night?
15. Who does Jones drive out to see at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) The white boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Himes do to protect him from the screws and the convicts?
2. Where does Jones drop off the white hitchhikers?
3. What is Alice's father's title?
4. Who calls Jones at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What is the name of the light colored girl in Alice's sitting room?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)