|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say he gets into a battle royal with?
(a) A pitbull terrier.
(b) An Irish foreman.
(c) A white woman.
(d) A motorcycle cop.
2. What company did Himes work at as a reader?
(b) Warner Brothers.
(d) Walt Disney.
3. Which of the girls in Alice's sitting room does Jones say has brown colored skin?
4. Who calls Jones at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Harrison.
(b) Mrs. Harrison.
5. What people does the narrator say were sent away?
6. What is a tacker?
(a) A black worker.
(b) A pipe fitter.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A monkey wrench.
7. What does Jones say he does with a sudden violent gesture in Chapter 10?
(a) Kicks the table.
(b) Jumps to his feet.
(c) Hits the wall.
(d) Shouts out.
8. What is the supervisor's nationality?
9. Which of Wright's novels did Baldwin feel threatened by?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Go Tell to the Mountain.
(c) Invisible Man.
10. What does the narrator carry his muscle as high as?
(a) His chin.
(b) His forehead.
(c) His ears.
(d) His eyes.
11. What did Himes say was his advantage over the other black convicts?
(a) He had learned practical skills.
(b) He knew his own mind.
(c) He knew how to talk to a white man.
(d) He had lived outside the south.
12. What does the note say that comes with the restaurant bill?
(a) The restaurant has called the police.
(b) Jones will be lynched.
(c) The restaurant has a job opening.
(d) Jones is not welcome back.
13. What thought does Jones say keeps him happy through dinner?
(a) Going back to a warm house.
(b) Sleeping with Alice.
(c) Picking up his paycheck.
(d) Killing the white boy.
14. What did Himes' mother encourage her sons to do so they wouldn't grow flat?
(a) Pinch their noses.
(b) Jump up and down.
(c) Pull their ears.
(d) Hold their burps.
15. What does Alice introduce Leighton as?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her fellow student.
(c) Her co-worker.
(d) Her friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say the rich white folks live?
2. When does the narrator say he can give the man money for the dog?
3. What city did the narrator move to in 1941?
4. What problem do Leighton and the girls talk about?
5. What position does McDougall say he is demoting Jones to?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)