|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sir Percivale go to finish the remainder of his life?
2. According to the ghost, when will Arthur die in "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. What color eyes does Ettarre have in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
4. Where has Guinevere entered a convent in "Guinevere"?
5. Whose forces are defeated in the battle in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
4. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
5. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
6. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
7. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
8. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
9. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
10. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)