|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Elaine in the end of "Lancelot and Elaine"?
2. How many knights accompany Ettarre everywhere she goes?
3. Who had brought the Holy Grail to England?
4. To which castle does Lancelot ride to in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. Whom does Arthur leave in control of the kingdom when he goes to war in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
2. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
3. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
4. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
5. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
6. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
7. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
8. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
9. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
10. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "revenge" in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what stories is this theme prevalent? Which characters represent the theme?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)