|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Sir Percivale immediately with upon leaving for his search for the Grail?
2. To which castle does Lancelot ride to in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. What does Elaine cherish in the beginning of "Lancelot and Elaine"?
4. What causes great confusion in the final battle of Arthur?
5. Who is the one person to whom Guinevere talks in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
2. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
3. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
4. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
5. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
6. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
7. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
8. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
9. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
10. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women and attitudes toward the roles of women and men in medieval ages and in the Victorian era as they are represented in "Idylls of the King."
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the world view of the Middle Ages differs from that of the Romantic era, as expressed in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King."
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)