|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrapped around the child whom Arthur and Lancelot find in "The Last Tournament"?
2. How many knights accompany Ettarre everywhere she goes?
3. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
4. Which knight, known as pure and just, speaks with the first person who saw the Holy Grail?
5. To whom does Sir Percivale tell the story of "The Holy Grail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
4. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
6. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
7. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
8. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
9. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
10. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subject of sorcery in "Idylls of the King." Who represents this concept in particular? How did this character originate? What was the medieval belief of magic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)