|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arthur claims in "Guinevere" that men naturally seek wives who help them practice what?
2. What does Arthur plan on giving as a prize in his tournament in "The Last Tournament"?
3. In what month does Sir Percivale tell his friend the story of "The Holy Grail"?
4. Arthur tells Guinevere he has not stopped what in "Guinevere"?
5. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
2. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
3. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
4. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
5. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
6. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
7. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
8. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
9. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
10. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Balin and Balan. How do these brothers compare to one another? What does each represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)