|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Arthur's knights has planned to overthrow him in "Guinevere"?
2. Where does Arthur tell Guinevere he hopes to see her again in "Guinevere"?
3. What does Ettarre do once Pelleas wins the prize for her in the tournament?
4. In what month does Sir Percivale tell his friend the story of "The Holy Grail"?
5. With whom is Guinevere having an affair in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
4. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
5. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
6. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
7. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
8. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
9. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
10. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Although infidelity is not the central focus of "Balin and Balan," its impact affects the emotions and actions of the characters. Describe how this occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)