|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which castle does Lancelot ride to in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
2. What had Arthur called Sir Percivale in his knighthood?
3. Where does Arthur tell Guinevere he hopes to see her again in "Guinevere"?
4. Arthur tells Guinevere that her sins have affected whom in "Guinevere"?
5. To where does Arthur's army push the opposing forces in "The Passing of Arthur"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
2. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
3. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
4. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
5. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
6. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
7. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
8. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
9. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
10. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Although infidelity is not the central focus of "Balin and Balan," its impact affects the emotions and actions of the characters. Describe how this occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)