|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes great confusion in the final battle of Arthur?
2. In what way does the Red Knight say his kingdom differs from Arthur's?
3. What does Guinevere do with the prize from the tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
4. To which castle does Lancelot ride to in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. With whom is Guinevere having an affair in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
2. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
3. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
4. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
5. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
6. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
7. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
8. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
9. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
10. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)