|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guinevere do with the prize from the tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
2. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
3. Where do the jousts take place in the tournament in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
4. What does Ettarre do once Pelleas wins the prize for her in the tournament?
5. Who is the one person to whom Guinevere talks in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
3. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
4. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
5. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
6. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
7. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
8. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
9. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
10. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
Essay Topic 3
Although infidelity is not the central focus of "Balin and Balan," its impact affects the emotions and actions of the characters. Describe how this occurs.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)