|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the ghost, when will Arthur die in "The Passing of Arthur"?
2. Who tells the story in "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. With what is Sir Percivale immediately with upon leaving for his search for the Grail?
4. Where does Sir Percivale go to finish the remainder of his life?
5. Who is the fool of Arthur's castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
2. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
3. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
4. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
5. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
6. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
7. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
8. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
9. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
10. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)