|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially had the vision of the Holy Grail?
2. Who originally drank from the Holy Grail?
3. What does Guinevere do when Arthur arrives at the convent in "Guinevere"?
4. What causes great confusion in the final battle of Arthur?
5. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
2. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
3. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
4. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
5. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
6. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
7. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
8. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
9. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
10. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "revenge" in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what stories is this theme prevalent? Which characters represent the theme?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)