|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which knight, known as pure and just, speaks with the first person who saw the Holy Grail?
2. Who arrives to take Arthur away on a barge in the end of "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. Whom does Arthur send to give the mysterious knight the tournament prize in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
4. Who tells the story in "The Passing of Arthur"?
5. Who taunts Tristram over his infidelity in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
2. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
3. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
4. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
5. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
6. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
7. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
8. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
9. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
10. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)