|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. How many brothers does Elaine have in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. Where has Guinevere entered a convent in "Guinevere"?
4. Whom does Arthur send to give the mysterious knight the tournament prize in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. Which knight, known as pure and just, speaks with the first person who saw the Holy Grail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
2. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
3. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
4. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
5. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
6. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
7. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
8. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
9. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
10. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)