|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tristram take a second wife in "The Last Tournament"?
2. In the last moments of battle in "The Passing of Arthur," who is left alive, in addition to Arthur?
3. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
4. What had Arthur called Sir Percivale in his knighthood?
5. Arthur tells Guinevere he has not stopped what in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
2. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
3. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
4. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
5. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
6. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
7. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
8. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
9. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
10. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)