|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the jousts take place in the tournament in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. In what month does Sir Percivale tell his friend the story of "The Holy Grail"?
3. After passing through the swamp, where does Sir Percivale see the Grail in "The Holy Grail"?
4. To whom does Lancelot plan on giving the prize of the tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. To whom is Tristram married in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
3. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
4. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
5. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
6. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
7. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
8. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
9. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
10. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)