|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose army is Arthur fighting in "The Passing of Arthur"?
2. According to the ghost, when will Arthur die in "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. What is the prize in Arthur's tournament in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
4. What color eyes does Ettarre have in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
5. Who is the one person to whom Guinevere talks in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
2. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
3. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
4. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
5. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
6. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
7. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
8. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
9. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
10. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)