|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Guinevere having an affair in "The Last Tournament"?
2. Where does Arthur tell Guinevere he hopes to see her again in "Guinevere"?
3. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
4. How many brothers does Elaine have in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. To whom is Tristram married in "The Last Tournament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
3. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
4. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
5. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
6. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
7. What does the exposition reveal of the diamonds in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
8. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
9. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
10. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women and attitudes toward the roles of women and men in medieval ages and in the Victorian era as they are represented in "Idylls of the King."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)