|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes does Ettarre have in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. With whom is Guinevere having an affair in "The Last Tournament"?
3. At whose castle is Tristram's first wife being held captive?
4. Who is the fool of Arthur's castle?
5. Why does Guinevere not attend the tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
2. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
4. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
6. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
7. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
8. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
9. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
10. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)