|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the ghost, when will Arthur die in "The Passing of Arthur"?
2. Whose ghost visits Arthur in "The Passing of Arthur"?
3. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
4. How many times has Lancelot previously won Arthur's tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. Who tells the story in "The Passing of Arthur"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
2. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
3. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
4. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
5. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
6. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
7. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
8. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
9. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
10. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the world view of the Middle Ages differs from that of the Romantic era, as expressed in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King."
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Balin and Balan. How do these brothers compare to one another? What does each represent symbolically?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)