|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Enid is the daughter of whom in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
2. For what does Geraint chastise Enid on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. Who professes that his new-found virtue is a result of having been beaten by Geraint?
4. Why doesn't Enid succeed in warning Geraint initially of the coming attack by her former suitor in "Geraint and Enid"?
5. How did Vivien's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
2. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
3. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
4. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
6. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
7. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
8. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
9. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
10. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the world view of the Middle Ages differs from that of the Romantic era, as expressed in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of love in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." How does his depiction of love and other emotions differ from that of the medieval period?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)