|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vivien's mother die?
2. According to the king's knights gossip, with whom had Vivien tried unsuccessfully to flirt?
3. What kind of magnificent dress does Edith's mother find for her in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. Who is Enid's former suitor in "Geraint and Enid"?
5. Who is Leodogran's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
3. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
4. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
5. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
6. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
7. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
8. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
9. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
10. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Although infidelity is not the central focus of "Balin and Balan," its impact affects the emotions and actions of the characters. Describe how this occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women and attitudes toward the roles of women and men in medieval ages and in the Victorian era as they are represented in "Idylls of the King."
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)