|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapons does Geraint wield in the tournament in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
2. To whose territory do Enid and Geraint travel after the duel between Geraint and her former suitor?
3. The banners in Arthur's hall represent how many battles?
4. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
5. When did Guinevere arrive at Camelot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
2. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
4. Why does Geraint insist that Enid wear her old silk dress to Camelot?
5. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
6. What is happening to Camelot in "The Last Tournament"?
7. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
8. Discuss irony as it applies to the story of "Geraint and Enid" in a medieval sense.
9. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
10. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Balin and Balan. How do these brothers compare to one another? What does each represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subject of sorcery in "Idylls of the King." Who represents this concept in particular? How did this character originate? What was the medieval belief of magic?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)