|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had lost to the King of Lot in "that first war," as stated in "Balin and Balan"?
2. After how long does Gareth's mother release him from his oath in "Gareth and Lynette"?
3. Who is on his way to disband Doorm's kingdom in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. What does Balin do after he suspects the Queen is unfaithful?
5. In "Gareth and Lynette," Lancelot tells Lynette that a man is only made strong through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
2. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
3. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
4. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
5. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
6. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
7. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
8. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
9. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
10. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "infidelity" in "Idylls of the King." How is this theme overriding throughout the stories? In what ways does Tennyson depict infidelity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)