|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who professes that his new-found virtue is a result of having been beaten by Geraint?
2. Geraint takes his wife back to his own land to protect her of hearing rumors of what?
3. For what reason had Merlin fallen into a deep melancholy in "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. In what way does Vivien attempt to woo Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. It is only after Gareth has dispatched which knight that Lynette begins to view him with some esteem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
2. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
3. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
4. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
5. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
6. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
7. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
8. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
9. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
10. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)