|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person who stops after Geraint has collapsed at the side of the road in "Geraint and Enid"?
2. What is the second tactic that Vivien uses on Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What is the prize of the tournament in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. Who had lost to the King of Lot in "that first war," as stated in "Balin and Balan"?
5. The men in the tournament in "The Marriage of Geraint" are only allowed to participate if they have who with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
2. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
3. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
4. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
6. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
7. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
8. Who do Enid and Geraint encounter along their path in "Geraint and Enid"? What takes place?
9. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
10. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)