|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears a minstrel of Guinevere and Lancelot with Vivien in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. How does Geraint eventually die?
3. What does Earl Doorm try to convince Enid in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
5. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
2. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
3. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
4. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
5. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
6. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
7. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
8. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
9. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
10. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)