|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Vivien attempt to woo Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. What does Earl Doorm try to convince Enid in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. In the Dedication, the Queen of Orkney says, "A doubtful throne is ____ on summer seas."
4. What happens to Geraint when he goes to find out the identity of the knight in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
5. Who stops Geraint and Enid as they continue past Doorm's realm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
2. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
3. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
5. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
6. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
7. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
8. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
9. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
10. What tactic does Vivien use on Guinevere in "Merlin and Vivien"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)