|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is only after Gareth has dispatched which knight that Lynette begins to view him with some esteem?
2. According to the king's knights gossip, with whom had Vivien tried unsuccessfully to flirt?
3. Who does not trust Gareth when he arrives at Arthur's court and treats him meanly?
4. To whose territory do Enid and Geraint travel after the duel between Geraint and her former suitor?
5. What does Balin do after he suspects the Queen is unfaithful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
2. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
3. What tactic does Vivien use on Guinevere in "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
5. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
6. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
7. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
8. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
9. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
10. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of love in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." How does his depiction of love and other emotions differ from that of the medieval period?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women and attitudes toward the roles of women and men in medieval ages and in the Victorian era as they are represented in "Idylls of the King."
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)