Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction is the wood devil in "Balin and Balan"?
2. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. Whom does Gareth mistake for a bandit and attack in "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. Who was Merlin's master in "The Coming of Arthur"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
2. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
3. Discuss irony as it applies to the story of "Geraint and Enid" in a medieval sense.
4. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
5. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
6. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
7. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
8. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
9. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
10. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)