|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gareth and Lynette," Lancelot tells Lynette that a man is only made strong through what?
2. What does the final knight in "Gareth and Lynette" turn out to be?
3. In what way does Vivien attempt to woo Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. Geraint awakens to hear Enid say she is not what to him?
5. Geraint is what as well as a knight in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
2. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
4. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
5. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
6. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
7. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
8. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
9. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
10. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subject of sorcery in "Idylls of the King." Who represents this concept in particular? How did this character originate? What was the medieval belief of magic?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)