Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction is the wood devil in "Balin and Balan"?
2. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. Whom does Gareth mistake for a bandit and attack in "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. Who was Merlin's master in "The Coming of Arthur"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
2. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
3. Discuss irony as it applies to the story of "Geraint and Enid" in a medieval sense.
4. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
5. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
6. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
7. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
8. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
9. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
10. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subject of sorcery in "Idylls of the King." Who represents this concept in particular? How did this character originate? What was the medieval belief of magic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)