|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gareth's mother allows him to go to Arthur's court on the condition that he work where first?
2. Who is in the group of thieves attempting to murder in "Gareth and Lynette"?
3. Who professes that his new-found virtue is a result of having been beaten by Geraint?
4. Whose symbol does Balin gain permission to wear on his shield in "Balin and Balan"?
5. Who raised Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
2. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
4. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
5. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
6. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
7. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
8. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
9. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
10. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "infidelity" in "Idylls of the King." How is this theme overriding throughout the stories? In what ways does Tennyson depict infidelity?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)