|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Gareth and Lynette when they first set out to save Lynette's sister?
2. What does Geraint believe of Enid in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. In the Dedication, the Queen of Orkney says, "A doubtful throne is ____ on summer seas."
4. From whom does King Pellam find himself descended in "Balin and Balan"?
5. What does Geraint do to the Earl of Doorm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
2. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
3. Why does Geraint insist that Enid wear her old silk dress to Camelot?
4. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
6. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
7. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
8. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
9. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
10. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structural elements of "Idylls of the King." Identify and define the voice, tense, and verse style of the poems in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)