|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gareth's mother?
2. Who is the King of Lot's wife, as mentioned in the Dedication?
3. Of what material is the dress Enid wore in "The Marriage of Geraint" when they met?
4. Who is Gareth's father?
5. Whom does the woodsman tell Balin he believes gave the wood spirits invisible powers in "Balin and Balan"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
2. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
3. Discuss irony as it applies to the story of "Geraint and Enid" in a medieval sense.
4. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
5. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
6. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
7. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
8. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
9. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
10. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subject of sorcery in "Idylls of the King." Who represents this concept in particular? How did this character originate? What was the medieval belief of magic?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)