|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second tactic that Vivien uses on Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. Who is the most fearsome of the knights who has seized Lynette's sister in "Gareth and Lynette"?
3. What does Geraint give to the peasants in return for their hospitality in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. Where did Vivien's mother die?
5. Whom does Geraint find in the ruined castle in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
3. Why does Geraint insist that Enid wear her old silk dress to Camelot?
4. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
6. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
7. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
8. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
9. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
10. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tennyson's use of imagery (simile and metaphor) in the stories of "Idylls of the King." In what ways do these examples reflect the style of the Romantics?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the world view of the Middle Ages differs from that of the Romantic era, as expressed in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King."
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)