|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Geraint awakens to hear Enid say she is not what to him?
2. What do some men believe is more fitting of a maiden for a knight in "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What word does Vivien hear Merlin say which throws her into a rage in "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. What is the second tactic that Vivien uses on Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. Who is the one person who stops after Geraint has collapsed at the side of the road in "Geraint and Enid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
2. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
3. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
5. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
6. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
7. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
8. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
9. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
10. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Balin and Balan. How do these brothers compare to one another? What does each represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of love in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." How does his depiction of love and other emotions differ from that of the medieval period?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)