|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason had Merlin fallen into a deep melancholy in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. Whom does Geraint find in the ruined castle in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
3. Who succeeds in wounding Geraint in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. What does Geraint do to the Earl of Doorm?
5. Whose mission is it to hunt the wood devil in "Balin and Balan"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
2. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
4. Who do Enid and Geraint encounter along their path in "Geraint and Enid"? What takes place?
5. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
6. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
7. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
8. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
9. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
10. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)