|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Geraint when he goes to find out the identity of the knight in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
2. What is the fourth and final knight in "Gareth and Lynette" wearing a suit covered with?
3. The banners in Arthur's hall represent how many battles?
4. What do some men believe is more fitting of a maiden for a knight in "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. What does Geraint do to the Earl of Doorm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
3. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
4. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
5. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
6. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
7. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
8. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
9. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
10. Discuss irony as it applies to the story of "Geraint and Enid" in a medieval sense.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different themes in "The Holy Grail." This is perhaps the most symbolic story of the book. What symbolism is used? What imagery? How do these tie into the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Balin and Balan. How do these brothers compare to one another? What does each represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)