|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not trust Gareth when he arrives at Arthur's court and treats him meanly?
2. Who is the one person who stops after Geraint has collapsed at the side of the road in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. What does Balin do after he suspects the Queen is unfaithful?
4. The banners in Arthur's hall represent how many battles?
5. In "Gareth and Lynette," Lancelot tells Lynette that a man is only made strong through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
2. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
3. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
4. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
5. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
6. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
7. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
8. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
9. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
10. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Arthur and Lancelot in "Idylls of the King." How are these men similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories of "Gareth and Lynette" and "Pelleas and Ettarre." What themes do these stories share? How do they differ in their outcomes?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)