|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After how long does Gareth's mother release him from his oath in "Gareth and Lynette"?
2. Whom does Geraint find in the ruined castle in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
3. Who attacks Gareth and Lynette when they first set out to save Lynette's sister?
4. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
5. What happens to Geraint when he goes to find out the identity of the knight in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
2. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
3. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
4. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
5. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
6. How does the style of Romanticism appear in "The Coming of Arthur"?
7. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
8. Who do Enid and Geraint encounter along their path in "Geraint and Enid"? What takes place?
9. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
10. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women and attitudes toward the roles of women and men in medieval ages and in the Victorian era as they are represented in "Idylls of the King."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of love in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." How does his depiction of love and other emotions differ from that of the medieval period?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "humility" in "Idylls of the King." In what stories does this theme stand in the forefront? What symbols reinforce the theme?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)