|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlin tell Vivien of the book in which the spell is written in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. To whom is Gorlos married?
3. Who does Balin kill in the end of "Balin and Balan"?
4. What does Geraint inform the knight that he and Enid meet while leaving Doorm?
5. In the Dedication, what land is "Thick with wet woods, and many a beast therein"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
2. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
3. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
4. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
5. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
6. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
7. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
8. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
9. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
10. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "social standing" and "lineage" in "Idylls of the King." Who in the stories represents the theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)