|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Vivien to go to Arthur's court and reveal scandal in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. What kind of magnificent dress does Edith's mother find for her in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
3. Who does Balin kill in the end of "Balin and Balan"?
4. Of what material is the dress Enid wore in "The Marriage of Geraint" when they met?
5. In "Gareth and Lynette," Lancelot tells Lynette that a man is only made strong through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactic does Vivien use on Guinevere in "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
3. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
4. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
5. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
6. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
7. What warning does Enid give Geraint about the Earl in "Geraint and Enid"? What is his reaction?
8. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
9. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
10. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Vivien and Guinevere. How are these characters similar? How do they differ in their actions and their motivations? When do they interact in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of "trust" and of "jealousy" as they apply to the stories of "Idylls of the King." How do these themes intersect? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tennyson's use of symbolism and motif in "Idylls of the King." How do these examples illustrate the stories' themes?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)