|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leodogran's brother?
2. Who is the King of Lot's wife, as mentioned in the Dedication?
3. What does Geraint give to the peasants in return for their hospitality in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. In "The Marriage of Geraint," Geraint tells Enid to put on what dress of hers?
5. Who succeeds in wounding Geraint in "Geraint and Enid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
2. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What justification is there in Vivien's attempts to expose the scandals of the royal palace?
4. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
5. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
6. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
7. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
8. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
9. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
10. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious allusion in "Idylls of the King." What symbols are used to reflect this common theme and backdrop to the stories?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony employed in "Gareth and Lynette" and in "Geraint and Enid"? How does the use of irony play into the stories' structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of love in Tennyson's "Idylls of the King." How does his depiction of love and other emotions differ from that of the medieval period?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)