|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After passing through the swamp, where does Sir Percivale see the Grail in "The Holy Grail"?
(a) Above Arthur.
(b) Above Sir Gawain.
(c) Above Sir Galahad.
(d) Above Sir Percivale.
2. Who tells the story in "The Passing of Arthur"?
(a) Sir Lancelot.
(b) Sir Galahad.
(c) Sir Percivale.
(d) Sir Belvidere.
3. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
(a) Bind him and bring him in.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Ask him to summon Arthur.
(d) Scare him away.
4. Where does Arthur sit in the hall in the beginning of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
(c) Sir Mark's castle.
5. Whose forces are defeated in the battle in "Guinevere"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had brought the Holy Grail to England?
2. How many brothers does Elaine have in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. In "Pelleas and Ettarre," Pelleas overhears the women near where over a hundred of what kind of trees grow?
4. With what is Sir Percivale immediately with upon leaving for his search for the Grail?
5. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
2. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
3. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
4. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
5. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
6. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
7. Who arrives before the tournament in "The Last Tournament" and what news does he relay?
8. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
9. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
10. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)