|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guinevere do when Arthur arrives at the convent in "Guinevere"?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Falls prostrate.
(d) Runs to him.
2. Who had brought the Holy Grail to England?
(a) Saint Arimathan Joseph.
(b) Saint Terrence Antillion.
(c) Saint Andrew Maridriel.
(d) Saint Joseph Antithes.
3. Who is engaged in battle with Arthur's forces in "Guinevere"?
4. Why does Guinevere not attend the tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
(a) She is with child.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is sick.
(d) She hates violence.
5. Which knight, known as pure and just, speaks with the first person who saw the Holy Grail?
(a) Sir Lancelot.
(b) Sir Gawain.
(c) Sir Galahad.
(d) Sir Percivale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers does Elaine have in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
2. Where does Sir Percivale go to finish the remainder of his life?
3. How long are the knights bound to search for the Holy Grail?
4. Who initially had the vision of the Holy Grail?
5. Who does Pelleas fight in the ending of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
2. How does Tennyson depict Gawain in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
3. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
4. Describe how pride plays into the story of "The Holy Grail."
5. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
6. What is the principle plot of "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
7. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
8. Describe the allusions to Christ in "The Passing of Arthur."
9. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
10. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)