|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who originally drank from the Holy Grail?
2. What is the prize of Arthur's great tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
(a) A scepter.
(b) A ruby.
(c) A crown.
(d) A diamond.
3. In "Pelleas and Ettarre," Pelleas overhears the women near where over a hundred of what kind of trees grow?
4. What does Ettarre do once Pelleas wins the prize for her in the tournament?
(a) Marries him.
(b) Locks him outside her fortress.
(c) Runs away with him.
(d) Kisses him.
5. Who tells the story in "The Passing of Arthur"?
(a) Sir Lancelot.
(b) Sir Belvidere.
(c) Sir Galahad.
(d) Sir Percivale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arthur's final battle take place?
2. How many times has Lancelot previously won Arthur's tournament in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
3. How many knights accompany Ettarre everywhere she goes?
4. By whom is the boy beaten when he arrives at Arthur's court before the tournament in "The Last Tournament"?
5. Whose forces are defeated in the battle in "Guinevere"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the allegory of the human soul in "Guinevere."
2. What theme is the backdrop of "The Holy Grail"?
3. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
4. What is the story of the ruby necklace in "The Last Tournament"?
5. What allegory does Tennyson refer to in "To the Queen"?
6. How does Tennyson's version of "Lancelot and Elaine" embody Romantic notions of love?
7. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
8. Describe the allegory of Eden in "Guinevere."
9. What does Percivale give as the exposition of how the Holy Grail came about?
10. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)