|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had brought the Holy Grail to England?
(a) Saint Terrence Antillion.
(b) Saint Andrew Maridriel.
(c) Saint Joseph Antithes.
(d) Saint Arimathan Joseph.
2. In the last moments of battle in "The Passing of Arthur," who is left alive, in addition to Arthur?
(a) Pellam and Galahad.
(b) Modred and Belvidere.
(c) Belvidere and Percivale.
(d) Modred and Percivale.
3. Where does Tristram take a second wife in "The Last Tournament"?
4. Who arrives to take Arthur away on a barge in the end of "The Passing of Arthur"?
(a) The Lady of the Lake.
(c) Three knights.
(d) Three queens.
5. Who originally drank from the Holy Grail?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ettarre send her knights to do with Pelleas in "Pelleas and Ettarre"?
2. How long are the knights bound to search for the Holy Grail?
3. How many knights accompany Ettarre everywhere she goes?
4. Who taunts Tristram over his infidelity in "The Last Tournament"?
5. Whose ghost visits Arthur in "The Passing of Arthur"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in the beginning of "Guinevere"?
2. How is Lancelot's character depicted in "Pelleas and Ettarre"? How does this differ than in the previous stories?
3. What theme does Tristram represent in "The Last Tournament"? Where has this theme been seen before?
4. What is Arthur's justification for his anger at the knights for taking the oath in "The Holy Grail"?
5. How does Tennyson break apart from the medieval vision of love in "Lancelot and Elaine" - and essentially in the book as a whole?
6. What can desire do to the human soul, as per the allegory in "Guinevere"? What of anger?
7. What is Tennyson's viewpoint of the oath of marriage in "Lancelot and Elaine"?
8. What does Arthur ask of Bedivere in "The Passing of Arthur" regarding Excalibur? What does Bedivere do?
9. What does Arthur think of the night before the battle in "The Passing of Arthur"?
10. How does "Pelleas and Ettarre" interplay with the other stories of Idylls of the King?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)