|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Arthur's sword?
2. Arthur's knights claim that two men know the truth of Arthur's birth. These are Merlin and who?
3. Geraint awakens to hear Enid say she is not what to him?
(a) "A good wife."
(b) "An honest wife."
(c) "A true maiden."
(d) "A true wife."
4. By what are Balin and Balan located outside Camelot in the beginning of "Balin and Balan"?
(a) A meadow.
(b) A tree.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A mountain.
5. For how long does Gareth's mother insist he do menial work for Arthur before becoming a knight?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. The three people who pass Geraint in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint" are a woman, a knight, and a what?
2. What relic does Balin take from the chapel in "Balin and Balan"?
3. For what reason had Merlin fallen into a deep melancholy in "Merlin and Vivien"?
4. Merlin's sought-after spell involved being able to do what to people?
5. The banners in Arthur's hall represent how many battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
2. Who do Enid and Geraint encounter along their path in "Geraint and Enid"? What takes place?
3. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
4. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
5. Why does Geraint insist that Enid wear her old silk dress to Camelot?
6. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
7. What tactic does Vivien use on Guinevere in "Merlin and Vivien"?
8. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
9. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
10. Describe how the theme of humility applies in "Gareth and Lynette."
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)