|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some men believe is more fitting of a maiden for a knight in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(b) Remaining a virgin.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Bearing children.
2. What does Vivien accuse Merlin of using the spell to do for his own use in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(a) Trapping children.
(b) Killing children.
(c) Trapping women.
(d) Killing knights.
3. How long had Balin been exiled in "Balin and Balan"?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
4. Who asks Vivien to go to Arthur's court and reveal scandal in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(d) The Red Knight.
5. Whom does Geraint find in the ruined castle in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
(a) Earl Yniol.
(b) King Mark.
(c) Earl Uriel.
(d) King Uther.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Vivien tell Guinevere is attempting to force her to marry him?
2. What does the final knight in "Gareth and Lynette" turn out to be?
3. Who is the King of Lot's wife, as mentioned in the Dedication?
4. Who does Balin kill in the end of "Balin and Balan"?
5. The three people who pass Geraint in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint" are a woman, a knight, and a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
2. What does Vivien turn her attention to once her flirtations with Arthur fail in "Merlin and Vivien"? What does she want?
3. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
4. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
6. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
7. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
8. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
9. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
10. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)