|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason had Merlin fallen into a deep melancholy in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(a) The affair of Guinevere's.
(b) His longing for love.
(c) His age.
(d) The evil in the world.
2. The three people who pass Geraint in the woods in "The Marriage of Geraint" are a woman, a knight, and a what?
3. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
(a) Like a princess.
(b) Like the sun.
(c) Like a queen.
(d) Like the stars.
4. Geraint's peers attribute his leaving Arthur's circle as a loss of what?
5. Geraint is what as well as a knight in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
(a) A prince.
(b) A baron.
(c) A duke.
(d) A king.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Marriage of Geraint," Geraint tells Enid to put on what dress of hers?
2. When did Guinevere arrive at Camelot?
3. To whose territory do Enid and Geraint travel after the duel between Geraint and her former suitor?
4. After how long does Gareth's mother release him from his oath in "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. To whom is Gorlos married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
2. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
3. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
4. What tactic does Vivien use on Guinevere in "Merlin and Vivien"?
5. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
6. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
7. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
8. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
9. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
10. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)