|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The banners in Arthur's hall represent how many battles?
2. Why doesn't Enid succeed in warning Geraint initially of the coming attack by her former suitor in "Geraint and Enid"?
(a) He is eating.
(b) He leaves the room.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He won't listen to her.
3. What does Vivien accuse Merlin of using the spell to do for his own use in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(a) Killing knights.
(b) Trapping children.
(c) Trapping women.
(d) Killing children.
4. Whom does the woodsman tell Balin he believes gave the wood spirits invisible powers in "Balin and Balan"?
5. Who is in the group of thieves attempting to murder in "Gareth and Lynette"?
(a) An earl.
(b) A knight.
(c) A baron.
(d) A lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Dedication, what land is "Thick with wet woods, and many a beast therein"?
2. What does Geraint inform the knight that he and Enid meet while leaving Doorm?
3. What is Sparrow-Hawk's real name?
4. Who was king before King Uther?
5. In "Gareth and Lynette," whom does the most fearsome knight with the besieged maiden hope to defeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
2. Describe the character of Edyrn between "The Marriage of Geraint" and "Geraint and Enid."
3. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
4. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
5. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
6. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
7. What discussion do King Mark and Vivien have in the beginning of "Merlin and Vivien"?
8. Why does Geraint insist that Enid wear her old silk dress to Camelot?
9. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
10. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)