|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom was Geraint in the woods watching the king's hunt in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
2. Who is the one person who stops after Geraint has collapsed at the side of the road in "Geraint and Enid"?
(a) The Earl.
(b) King Arthur.
(c) The Baron.
(d) King Uther.
3. With whom does Balin see the Queen by the garden in "Balin and Balan"?
4. In what way does Vivien attempt to woo Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"?
(a) Making him desperate for her.
(b) Cheering him up.
(c) Using her wiles.
(d) Stealing his children.
5. By what are Balin and Balan located outside Camelot in the beginning of "Balin and Balan"?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A fountain.
(c) A tree.
(d) A meadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who succeeds in wounding Geraint in "Geraint and Enid"?
2. What does Earl Doorm try to convince Enid in "Geraint and Enid"?
3. According to the king's knights gossip, with whom had Vivien tried unsuccessfully to flirt?
4. When did Guinevere arrive at Camelot?
5. In "The Marriage of Geraint," Geraint tells Enid to put on what dress of hers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Enid and Geraint encounter along their path in "Geraint and Enid"? What takes place?
2. What does Balin do once Balan has left on his mission for Arthur?
3. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
4. What does Guinevere represent to Balin in "Balin and Balan"? How does this affect his actions?
5. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
6. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
7. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
8. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
9. What is Vivien's goal for Merlin in "Merlin and Vivien"? What is her motivation?
10. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)