|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Gareth's mother insist he do menial work for Arthur before becoming a knight?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
2. Geraint takes his wife back to his own land to protect her of hearing rumors of what?
(a) Guinevere's affair.
(b) Geraint's affair.
(c) Arthur's affair.
(d) His cowardice.
3. Who does Balin kill in the end of "Balin and Balan"?
4. In "Gareth and Lynette," Lancelot tells Lynette that a man is only made strong through what?
5. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
(a) Like a queen.
(b) Like the sun.
(c) Like a princess.
(d) Like the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Arthur send to bring Guinevere to him?
2. Geraint awakens to hear Enid say she is not what to him?
3. What does Geraint give to the peasants in return for their hospitality in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. By what are Balin and Balan located outside Camelot in the beginning of "Balin and Balan"?
5. From whom does King Pellam find himself descended in "Balin and Balan"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
2. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
3. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
4. What is the principle theme of "Gareth and Lynette"?
5. How does Edyrn's transformation have religious undertones?
6. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
7. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
8. What misunderstanding does Geraint undergo in "The Marriage of Geraint"? Why?
9. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
10. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)