|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is only after Gareth has dispatched which knight that Lynette begins to view him with some esteem?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) This second.
(d) The first.
2. In the Dedication, whom does Leodogran summon along with Brastias and Bedivere?
3. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
4. Why doesn't Enid succeed in warning Geraint initially of the coming attack by her former suitor in "Geraint and Enid"?
(a) He leaves the room.
(b) He won't listen to her.
(c) He is eating.
(d) He is asleep.
5. How does Guinevere promise to dress Geraint's wife in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
(a) Like the sun.
(b) Like a princess.
(c) Like a queen.
(d) Like the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapons does Geraint wield in the tournament in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
2. What does lightening strike in "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. How does Geraint eventually die?
4. Who stops Geraint and Enid as they continue past Doorm's realm?
5. Who does not trust Gareth when he arrives at Arthur's court and treats him meanly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the controversy over Arthur's birth in "The Coming of the King"? What does this have to do with the central plot of Arthur's objective in the story?
2. What is Balin met with at Pellam's castle in "Balin and Balan"?
3. What is the state of England in "The Coming of Arthur"? Upon whose kingdom is the point of focus?
4. Why does Bellicent instate her condition for Gareth's joining Arthur's court? What is the condition?
5. How is the concept of emotion viewed differently from the medieval period than the Romantic period? How is this reflected symbolically in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
6. How are women and men characterized in "Gareth and Lynette"?
7. Who does Leodogran summon to prove Arthur's birth? What do they relay?
8. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
9. What is the problem that Lynette turns to Arthur for help with?
10. What is the importance of royal blood to King Leodogran?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)