|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Enid overhear plotting to kill Geraint on their journey in "Geraint and Enid"?
2. What does Balin do after he suspects the Queen is unfaithful?
(a) Seeks his brother.
(b) Storms the castle.
(c) Kills Guinevere.
(d) Leaves the castle.
3. How does Geraint eventually die?
(a) In the arms of Enid.
(b) Fighting against Arthur.
(c) Serving Arthur.
(d) In a monastery.
4. Balin ends up going toward whose realm in "Balin and Balan"?
(a) The Red Knight's.
5. How did Vivien's father die?
(a) Of old age.
(b) Fighting for Arthur.
(c) At war with Arthur.
(d) By hanging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes in secret and defeats Balin and Balan?
2. For how long does Gareth's mother insist he do menial work for Arthur before becoming a knight?
3. Who attacks Gareth and Lynette when they first set out to save Lynette's sister?
4. Enid is the daughter of whom in "The Marriage of Geraint"?
5. Merlin's sought-after spell involved being able to do what to people?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story of "The Marriage of Geraint," what does the dwarf do to Guinevere's maiden and Geraint? What does Geraint vow?
2. What is the major theme of "Merlin and Vivien"?
3. What finally convinces Leodogran of Arthur's nobility?
4. Who "stops in" on Geraint and Enid in "Geraint and Enid"? Where are they?
5. What is Arthur's question for Balin and Balan when he summons them to court?
6. From where did the story of "Balin and Balan" originate?
7. How is the love affair between Guinevere and Lancelot presented differently by Tennyson than in the Medieval legends?
8. Why does Geraint leave Camelot in "The Marriage of Geraint"? What is thought by others of his leaving?
9. What decision on Arthur's part shocks the court in "Gareth and Lynette"?
10. How does Guinevere's infidelity lead indirectly to Balin's downfall? What religious allusion exists in this story?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)