|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irene remark to Harry about Quillery's arrest?
2. Who stands beside Quillery as he makes his speech about the united efforts against fascism?
3. What kind of idealist is Harry, according to Irene?
4. What does one of the soldiers arm himself with as he approaches Quillery?
5. What composer does Irene tell Harry used to play for her when she was younger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Harry contribute to the mood of the hotel guests? Describe three instances where he provided a diversion for them to shield them from the dangers of war. Why is this an essential part of his character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the argument between Quillery and Dr. Waldersee in Act 2, Scene 1. Describe three examples of where each of them make their strongest arguments. In the end, which character do you think was more effective at delivering their argument? Why?
Essay Topic 3
As Harry and Irene talk while waiting for the impending war, many symbols are introduced.
1) Champagne is usually a drink people have when they are celebrating something. What is interesting about the fact that Harry and Irene are drinking champagne at this particular time? What might they be celebrating?
2) As the bomber planes approach for their retaliation, the captain pleads with Harry and Irene to hide and seek cover. How do they respond to his request and what does that symbolize for their characters and their outlook on the situation?
3) How is music used in this part of the play? What is the significance of Harry being at the piano and the type of music he is playing? What does the request Irene makes symbolize for her character?
4) How has Harry been presented throughout the play that makes him the natural person to stay with Irene? What do you think the biggest factor was in his decision to return to the hotel was? Why?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)