|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Idiot's Delight, as described by Irene?
2. What does the person Irene reminds Harry of mean to him?
3. Who does Harry ask to dance as Act 2, Scene 2 ends?
4. What does Harry say the girl that reminded him of Irene had?
5. What was the name of the hotel Harry and Irene met in years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Irene's story about her adventure as she relates it to Harry. What specific parts of it are possible reasons for why Harry doubts her? Also, what is significant about the role of the Americans in her story and how does it relate to Harry's role in the play?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, Irene and Harry finally have the chance to talk away from the other guests.
1) How were the two characters portrayed in a way that established a connection or relationship between them from the beginning of the play? Why is that important to the story?
2) Describe what makes Harry the person who understands Irene better than the other guests. How does his character traits make him the best person to connect with her?
3) In what ways are Harry and Irene similar? What are some important differences between them? How do these similarities and differences contribute to their connection? Why is their relationship so important to the play's central theme?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the contradicting messages that Harry gets in Act 3 from the captain and Irene. Is the captain trying to reassure Harry for his own personal sake or is it to ease Harry's mind? How does Irene convince Harry that she is in danger? What do the reasons she provides mean to the plot?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)