|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Cherrys talking about when Act 2 opens?
2. As Weber explains to Irene, what is vulnerable now that the planes have left?
3. What does Quillery warn Harry about Weber?
4. What does Quillery prefer over war?
5. What is the reaction of the girls when Harry informs them they will be staying at Hotel Monte Gabriele?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Hotel Monte Gabriele described in the beginning of the play?
2. What was significant about Harry and the woman who reminds him of Irene's original meeting?
3. What effect does the appearance of Italian soldiers have on the hotel, and what do the soldiers do to surprise them?
4. What is Harry doing when the others join Weber and Irene in Act 2, Scene 2, and how does it illustrate his character?
5. What is Irene's reaction to Weber's betrayal and why is it significant?
6. What does Quillery do to provoke the attention of the Italian soldiers?
7. Who is Dr. Waldersee, and what brings him to the hotel in Act 1?
8. What does Irene include in her story pertaining to her participation in the events after her father's death, and what is she possible trying to infer?
9. What is interesting about how Weber explains his role in the success of his business?
10. How does Irene introduce the phrase "Idiot's Delight", and what does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of Idiot's Delight is the use of characters to reflect the various countries involved in the war. Since it was written in 1939, the author did not yet know what effect America would have on the war. Keeping that in mind, what does it say about his decision to have an American represent the hero in the story? How might it actually have foreshadowed real events that would take place years later? How does Harry symbolize America and what do his heroic actions at the end of the play say about the statement Sherwood is making?
Essay Topic 2
As Harry and Irene talk while waiting for the impending war, many symbols are introduced.
1) Champagne is usually a drink people have when they are celebrating something. What is interesting about the fact that Harry and Irene are drinking champagne at this particular time? What might they be celebrating?
2) As the bomber planes approach for their retaliation, the captain pleads with Harry and Irene to hide and seek cover. How do they respond to his request and what does that symbolize for their characters and their outlook on the situation?
3) How is music used in this part of the play? What is the significance of Harry being at the piano and the type of music he is playing? What does the request Irene makes symbolize for her character?
4) How has Harry been presented throughout the play that makes him the natural person to stay with Irene? What do you think the biggest factor was in his decision to return to the hotel was? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Quillery's actions in the second scene of Act 2. What has him so enraged? Do you think he is justified? Why or why not? Also, describe what happens to him and what that represents for the theme of having characters reflect the war.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)