|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Weber inform Irene the planes are headed?
2. As Don and Irene discover at the end of Act 1, how many countries can be seen from the main window of the hotel?
3. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cherry seem to the other hotel guests in Act 1?
4. What is Quillery denied, causing him to return to the hotel in the first part of Act 2?
5. How many blond girls is Harry Van accompanied by in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Weber tell Irene about the planes and how is it significant?
2. What are some of Irene's surprising comments about air raids?
3. How do the Italian soldiers respond to Quillery in Act 2, Scene 2, and what does it represent? What is Harry's role in the altercation and what is surprising about the way Quillery chooses to respond to him?
4. In the larger theme of the play, what do the Cherrys represent?
5. What is it about Irene that Harry reveals as the reason he recognizes her, and why is this important?
6. What comments does Harry make about Weber? What does Irene say to Harry in response to his thoughts on Weber, and what are her possible motives?
7. In response to Dr. Waldersee's assessment of his opinions, what does Quillery say about the doctor's research and where he will end up?
8. What does Quillery do to provoke the attention of the Italian soldiers?
9. How does Harry end the second scene of Act 2, and what do the guests signify with their activity?
10. What effect does the appearance of Italian soldiers have on the hotel, and what do the soldiers do to surprise them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Location is a key element in the play and the author uses it strategically in order to develop the characters and the plot.
1) Describe the location of the hotel and three examples of events or situations where it was important to the play's story.
2) In your opinion, which character was affected the most by the location of the hotel? Which character was affected the least? Use the play to provide examples to support your positions.
Essay Topic 2
Weber is portrayed in a different way than the other characters. What impression does he first make and why did Sherwood choose it for the character? What is significant about the way Weber responds to the hotel in comparison to some of the other characters, like Harry and Irene? What does it tell the audience about Weber and how does it lead to his actions in the future.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of Idiot's Delight is the use of characters to reflect the various countries involved in the war. Since it was written in 1939, the author did not yet know what effect America would have on the war. Keeping that in mind, what does it say about his decision to have an American represent the hero in the story? How might it actually have foreshadowed real events that would take place years later? How does Harry symbolize America and what do his heroic actions at the end of the play say about the statement Sherwood is making?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)