|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many blond girls is Harry Van accompanied by in Act 1?
2. What kind of research does Dr. Waldersee do?
(a) Sports medicine.
(b) Mental illness.
3. What nationality is Dr. Waldersee?
4. What is Quillery denied, causing him to return to the hotel in the first part of Act 2?
(a) Passage across the border.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) A rental car.
5. What are the Cherrys enjoying at the beginning of Act 2, Scene1?
(d) Hors d'oeuvres.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of planes are Irene and Weber talking about in the first scene of Act 2?
2. What is the reaction of the girls when Harry informs them they will be staying at Hotel Monte Gabriele?
3. What does the character of Harry represent, as it relates to the war in general and his country?
4. What causes the train to stop as the play opens?
5. How are the wait staff dressed at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dr. Waldersee, and what brings him to the hotel in Act 1?
2. What is it about Irene that Harry reveals as the reason he recognizes her, and why is this important?
3. What does the captain announce at the end of Act 1, and how does Harry respond?
4. How does Irene introduce the phrase "Idiot's Delight", and what does it mean?
5. Who is Weber and what does Quillery inform Harry of in reference to his profession?
6. What was significant about Harry and the woman who reminds him of Irene's original meeting?
7. What is Irene doing to entertain the Cherrys and what does it say about her character?
8. What causes Irene to tell Harry the truth and what does she finally reveal to him?
9. How does Harry respond to Irene as they talk alone and he listens to her, and why does he not share very much information about himself?
10. What does Harry do to ease the tension after Quillery and Dr. Waldersee argue, and what does it symbolize about his character?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)