|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the top priority for Quillery as the Italian officers rush out of the hotel?
(a) Crossing the border.
(b) Outrunning them.
(c) Avoiding arrest.
(d) Stopping the war.
2. What does Irene tell about her relatives as she is entertaining other hotel guests at the end of the first scene in Act 2?
(b) Their war experiences.
(c) The reason she left them.
(d) Family secrets.
3. What is Irene excited about seeing, if an air raid occurs?
(a) A bright light.
(b) A lot of people running.
(c) The ground shake.
(d) A snow explosion.
4. What is Quillery denied, causing him to return to the hotel in the first part of Act 2?
(a) Passage across the border.
(b) A train ticket.
(c) A rental car.
(d) A plane ticket.
5. As Sherwood uses the guests in the hotel to illustrate the various dispositions of countries at the time, what do the Cherrys represent?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, where is the train heading before it stops at the hotel?
2. What does Don provide for the hotel guests?
3. Who does Irene talk to at the end of Act 2's opening scene?
4. Where does Weber inform Irene the planes are headed?
5. When does the play, Idiot's Delight, take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the captain announce at the end of Act 1, and how does Harry respond?
2. What do the Cherrys reveal to Harry as he joins them in the beginning of Act 2, and what are they concerned about?
3. How is Harry's response to Irene's stories different from what she received from the other guests, and what does it say about his character?
4. What is it about Irene that Harry reveals as the reason he recognizes her, and why is this important?
5. Why does Quillery object to Weber's line of work and what is his theory on who is paying for it?
6. What does Quillery relay to the hotel guests about the Italian military, and what is his frame of mind?
7. What was different about Irene when Harry first met her? What was similar about her?
8. How does Harry respond to Irene's dilemma in Act 3?
9. What is Irene's reaction to Weber's explanation of his business, and why is it surprising?
10. What does the captain tell Harry about Irene's situation and how does it affect the way Harry might look at it?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)