|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Sherwood uses the guests in the hotel to illustrate the various dispositions of countries at the time, what do the Cherrys represent?
2. What does the captain speculate at the end of the first act?
(a) America has joined the war effort.
(b) The roads will be opening soon.
(c) Italy is at war with France.
(d) Germany has surrendered.
3. Why are the Cherrys upset over the war?
(a) It will endanger their lives.
(b) It will interrupt their skiing.
(c) They will see people die.
(d) They will be asked to fight.
4. In Act 1, where is the train heading before it stops at the hotel?
5. What does the character of Harry represent, as it relates to the war in general and his country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hotel Monte Gabriele located?
2. During their conversation in Act 2, Scene 1, what kind of an air raid does Weber tell Irene is possible?
3. Where is Quillery originally from?
4. In commenting on the guests, what does Quillery reveal the hotel building's original function was?
5. Who does Irene talk to at the end of Act 2's opening scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first impression of Harry Van to the other hotel guests?
2. What is interesting about the exchange between Irene and the captain towards the end of the play?
3. What is Irene's reaction to Weber's explanation of his business, and why is it surprising?
4. What is a possible motivation for Irene's reaction to Weber's business practices?
5. What is interesting about how Weber explains his role in the success of his business?
6. What does Quillery do to provoke the attention of the Italian soldiers?
7. What does Irene include in her story pertaining to her participation in the events after her father's death, and what is she possible trying to infer?
8. What is Weber's role in Act 2, Scene 3, and what does it signify?
9. Who are the heroes of Irene's story and how does it relate to the play?
10. What is Irene telling Harry about in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)