|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of research does Dr. Waldersee do?
(a) Mental illness.
(c) Sports medicine.
2. What nationality is the hotel's owner, Pittaluga?
3. Who is Achilles Weber?
(a) Irene's companion.
(b) Irene's husband.
(c) Irene's assistant.
(d) Irene's boss.
4. When did the planes that Irene questions Weber about take off?
(b) Earlier that morning.
(c) Two days ago.
(d) Earlier in the afternoon.
5. Where were the Cherrys married?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, where is the train heading before it stops at the hotel?
2. Where does Irene indicate a desire to be, in the first scene of Act 2?
3. Why is Dr. Waldersee distressed when he first enters the hotel?
4. How do the men view Irene's accent?
5. What nationality is Dr. Waldersee?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene respond to Harry's notion that the two had met before and what does it mean?
2. What is interesting about Irene and Weber's relationship as they talk in the second scene of Act 2?
3. Where does Harry remember Irene from during their conversation?
4. What do Harry and Irene talk about after he returns to stay with her in the final act of the play, and what does it symbolize?
5. How does Irene introduce the phrase "Idiot's Delight", and what does it mean?
6. What is the first impression of Harry Van to the other hotel guests?
7. Who is Dr. Waldersee, and what brings him to the hotel in Act 1?
8. What does Dr. Waldersee think of Quillery's views on the war?
9. In the larger theme of the play, what do the Cherrys represent?
10. What is the nobility in Harry's actions at the end of the play, and why do they stand out compared to other heroic acts?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)