|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arises from achieving a sense of identity or a revolution of awareness as proposed in Erikson's theory of racial identity development?
2. What term does Erikson use for a biological life cycle?
3. What does the process of meeting fidelity do for Erikson's theory of youth identity?
4. Within the Erikson's system of the self-concept, what is produced by the ego?
5. What two characteristics does Erikson believe are central to the female identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erikson feel it is necessary to explore emotional reactions and resistance in terms of women's position in the world?
2. What does Erikson think is different about the male and female focus of identity?
3. What role does the psychoanalyst play in helping an individual in terms of developing identity according to the theory set forth by Erikson?
4. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
5. What is Erikson state that is so difficult for black youth to find their identity?
6. According to post-Freudian theory, how is culture developed around women?
7. Why does Erikson feel it is important to have a clear identity when one has numerous options for identity available?
8. What aspects are involved in defining the ego?
9. What resulted from Marx-Freud polarization?
10. In Chapter 5, why has Erikson replace the term identity confusion with identity diffusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Erikson discusses that identity development of women. Outline the history of women's identity that has resulted in the current collective identity of women. Begin from that late 18th century and go to the present.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Erikson suggest that true intimacy can only occur after positive identity formation? What does this theory suggest about intimacy as a whole? What is the counterpart of intimacy and how does this play into the concept of intimacy and identity formation?
Essay Topic 3
Erikson's discussion on the differences of identity between youth today and those of 20 years ago focuses on the fact that today's youth may suffer more identity crisis than those of the past. Provide evidence from the reading that support this theory. Based on the reading, what factors do you feel play a major role in today's youth being unable to effectively form a positive self identity? Explain your answer.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)