|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the critical stage of Erikson's theory of development where women develop their female identity?
2. What does Erikson suggest is in the domain of the inter agency that produces a coherent existence?
3. Considering Freud's elements of the mind, what are the counterweights of the ego?
4. What term does Erikson use for a biological life cycle?
5. What do youth desire as they go through Erikson's stages of identity development?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of youth leaders, in terms of Erikson's theory?
2. According to Erikson what is necessary for a woman to form her identity?
3. Why does Erikson feel it is important to have a clear identity when one has numerous options for identity available?
4. According to Erikson, why are youth so sensitive to the identities of the past?
5. In referring to Erikson's theory of racial identity development, how are the negative self images of minorities unintentionally reinforced by the majority?
6. What does Erikson think is the driving force for the more inclusive identity?
7. What aspects are involved in defining the ego?
8. What is unique about a revolution or awareness of identity as discussed by Erikson in chapter eight "Race and Wider Identity"?
9. What does the process of identity confirmation include?
10. What is Erikson state that is so difficult for black youth to find their identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erikson suggests that wholeness generates basic trust; however, the notion of a totalitarian state suggests indoctrination and control. Discuss how these two concepts wholeness and a totalitarian state coexist as means for the ultimate identity development. Use information from the book to support human characteristics that serve to allow a totalitarian as well as Erickson's notion that the totalitarian state is the state to end all states.
Essay Topic 2
The Erikson discusses that identity development of women. Outline the history of women's identity that has resulted in the current collective identity of women. Begin from that late 18th century and go to the present.
Essay Topic 3
Erikson discusses his stages of development and intermingles Freud's stages of development throughout this discussion. Compare and contrast these two psychologists stages of development and provide an explanation on which you think is more valid today. Use the book to support your answer.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)