|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erikson say about the absence of black fathers?
2. The oppression of blacks, according to Erikson has done what to the mother-father presence?
3. What does Erikson suggest has led to the focus on women's position in the world?
4. How does Erikson think ideologies should be filled?
5. What elements does Erikson suggest can be caused by the demand to develop a distinct identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
2. The why does Erikson feel that anatomy is destiny?
3. Why does Erikson believe political underground groups often target youth?
4. What role does the psychoanalyst play in helping an individual in terms of developing identity according to the theory set forth by Erikson?
5. What is Erikson feel that terms such as "I" or "self" are confusing?
6. What is the difference between the Ego and "I"?
7. What aspects are involved in defining the ego?
8. In Chapter 5, why has Erikson replace the term identity confusion with identity diffusion?
9. What is unique about a revolution or awareness of identity as discussed by Erikson in chapter eight "Race and Wider Identity"?
10. What are the characteristics of youth leaders, in terms of Erikson's theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In discussing the development of identity, Erikson briefly mentions the problem of early childhood development and the high presence of female teachers. Why is this situation problematic? What might teachers do to reduce problems in development during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Erikson's discussion on the differences of identity between youth today and those of 20 years ago focuses on the fact that today's youth may suffer more identity crisis than those of the past. Provide evidence from the reading that support this theory. Based on the reading, what factors do you feel play a major role in today's youth being unable to effectively form a positive self identity? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erikson titles Chapter 5 "Theoretical Interlude." For literary standpoint as well as instructional standpoint what is the purpose of Chapter 5? How this stopping the flow of information to discuss theory helps the readers better understand Erickson's few of identity development?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)