|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Erikson, is destructive for blacks?
2. What does Erikson state that the self-concept of self esteem is tied to?
3. How is Erikson's theory of identity consciousness overcome?
4. What does Erikson wish youth would search for?
5. Where does Erikson feel our self representations stem from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erikson feel it is important to have a clear identity when one has numerous options for identity available?
2. What is Erikson state that is so difficult for black youth to find their identity?
3. According to Erikson, why are youth so sensitive to the identities of the past?
4. The why does Erikson feel that anatomy is destiny?
5. What are the characteristics of youth leaders, in terms of Erikson's theory?
6. In Chapter 5, why has Erikson replace the term identity confusion with identity diffusion?
7. What is the difference between the Ego and "I"?
8. According to post-Freudian theory, how is culture developed around women?
9. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
10. What resulted from Marx-Freud polarization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erikson titles Chapter 5 "Theoretical Interlude." For literary standpoint as well as instructional standpoint what is the purpose of Chapter 5? How this stopping the flow of information to discuss theory helps the readers better understand Erickson's few of identity development?
Essay Topic 2
Erikson discusses his stages of development and intermingles Freud's stages of development throughout this discussion. Compare and contrast these two psychologists stages of development and provide an explanation on which you think is more valid today. Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erikson's discussion on the differences of identity between youth today and those of 20 years ago focuses on the fact that today's youth may suffer more identity crisis than those of the past. Provide evidence from the reading that support this theory. Based on the reading, what factors do you feel play a major role in today's youth being unable to effectively form a positive self identity? Explain your answer.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)