|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are women isolated by during Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. According to Erikson, what must be understood in order to define the ego?
3. What term does Erikson use for a biological life cycle?
4. How does Erikson feel the majority of women react to feminists?
5. What does Erikson state is difficult for black mothers in terms of their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the psychoanalyst play in helping an individual in terms of developing identity according to the theory set forth by Erikson?
2. Why does Erikson feel it is necessary to explore emotional reactions and resistance in terms of women's position in the world?
3. What aspects are involved in defining the ego?
4. In Chapter 5, why has Erikson replace the term identity confusion with identity diffusion?
5. How does Erikson propose a sketch of psychopathology can help make sense of a new identity?
6. According to Erikson, why is preoccupation with identity the symptom of alienation?
7. Why does Erikson believe political underground groups often target youth?
8. Why does Erikson's notion of identity resistance often occur and therapy?
9. According to Erikson, why are youth so sensitive to the identities of the past?
10. In referring to Erikson's theory of racial identity development, how are the negative self images of minorities unintentionally reinforced by the majority?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Erikson discusses that identity development of women. Outline the history of women's identity that has resulted in the current collective identity of women. Begin from that late 18th century and go to the present.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of using case history to develop a theory of identity. Is this method valid? Why or why not? What other methods could be used in developing valid theory of identity development?
Essay Topic 3
In his discussion of youth their identity development, Erikson references for virtue in terms of "inherent strength" and "active equality." What is the role of virtue in youth identity development? Discuss why virtue is a necessary component of this development.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)