|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do environmental counterweights of identity help explain in terms of Freud's theory of identity?
2. Based on Erikson's studies, what directly influences the egos process of self integration?
3. What two components within Erikson's theory are important for youth to base their identities on?
4. What does Erikson feel has barker elements that may not be wholly sincere?
5. Why does Erikson suggest women are more passive than men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of youth leaders, in terms of Erikson's theory?
2. What aspects are involved in defining the ego?
3. In Chapter 5, why has Erikson replace the term identity confusion with identity diffusion?
4. According to Erikson what is necessary for a woman to form her identity?
5. What resulted from Marx-Freud polarization?
6. What role does the psychoanalyst play in helping an individual in terms of developing identity according to the theory set forth by Erikson?
7. According to Erikson, why are youth so sensitive to the identities of the past?
8. According to Erikson, why is preoccupation with identity the symptom of alienation?
9. According to post-Freudian theory, how is culture developed around women?
10. What is Erikson state that is so difficult for black youth to find their identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Erikson suggests that there are a number of economic and practical reasons to focus on women's position in the world. Discuss what these economic and practical reasons may be and how they affect the position of women in today's world
Essay Topic 2
Erikson suggests that wholeness generates basic trust; however, the notion of a totalitarian state suggests indoctrination and control. Discuss how these two concepts wholeness and a totalitarian state coexist as means for the ultimate identity development. Use information from the book to support human characteristics that serve to allow a totalitarian as well as Erickson's notion that the totalitarian state is the state to end all states.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the ego, the Id, the superego and environment are counterweights of each other and how they work together in identity formation. Include in your discussion the notion of "I" and what effect "I" has on these elements of identity.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)