|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Foundations in Observation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Erikson, in his review and observations of changes in culture, what does he suggest will become common values among today's youth?
(b) Choice and identity.
(c) Common identity.
2. According to Erikson, what does totalitarianism require of society?
(a) A combination of identities.
(c) A sense of legitimacy of state power.
3. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
4. What does Freud's consciousness of inner identity include?
(c) Bitter pride.
5. What does Freud suggest a fearless freedom of thinking is?
(c) Positive identity.
(d) Negative identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of self is clear when examining Freud's dreams?
2. What is the definition of "identity" subject to?
3. In the early 20th century, totalitarian disposition is best understood as what?
4. What are two characteristics Erikson applies to the task of the ego in order to maintain and organize its existence?
5. Why does Erikson warn the reader not to expect any solid development of mythology in terms of integrating the work on identity over the past two decades?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)