|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Toward Contemporary Issues, Youth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do youth recognize the need for during Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. What does Erikson suggest society's child training systems does for the uniqueness of society?
(a) Preserve it.
(b) Provide meaning.
(c) Increase standard of living.
(d) Strengthen it.
3. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what occurs when the ego combines elements that result in an inability to form a positive self-image?
(a) Ego synthesis fails.
(b) Negative identity formation.
(d) No identity formation.
4. In order to create a positive ego what does Erikson state must be tested?
(a) Current intelligence and identity.
(b) Mental acuity.
(c) Current reality against identity.
(d) Ability for introspection.
5. In the early 20th century, totalitarian disposition is best understood as what?
(a) A universal human related to all parts of human nature.
(b) It was not understood at all.
(c) The self as separate from others.
(d) Community needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erikson state are not constantly bolstered, an idea that is contrary to popular belief?
2. What does Erikson state youth often experience, which is evidence of identity diffusion?
3. Considering Erikson's theory of group identity development, what are cultures often led to do concerning their values?
4. According to the discussion in Chapter 2, the process of the ego helps individuals maintain their personalities and what type of fashion?
5. What are two characteristics Erikson applies to the task of the ego in order to maintain and organize its existence?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)