|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are elite volunteers doing?
2. What would be for better than for a Jewish state to be created?
3. Neither intelligence nor institutions can substitute for what?
4. According to Einstein, what must Jews continue to do?
5. How does Einstein characterize the newly-formed State of Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
2. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
3. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
4. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
5. What does Einstein say about the Jews who died in the Warsaw Ghetto battles?
6. Why does he say the protest might be better without him?
7. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
8. Einstein says Kepler and Galileo "ripened" mankind for science. How did they do that?
9. What caused an exchange of correspondence between Einstein and the Prussian and Bavarian academies of science in 1933?
10. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein writes about military service. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly explain Einstein's opinion about military service, both volunteer and drafted.
2. Do you think Einstein's opinion about military service is realistic? Why or why not?
3. What is your opinion about required military service? Explain fully
Essay Topic 2
Einstein attempts to explain the basis of anti-Semitism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why does Einstein think many hate Jews? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think hatred and genocide of any group of people is ever justified? Explain. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Do you think the Jewish people have any responsibility for the Arab attitude towards them in the 21st century? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)