|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of the Jewish people in Palestine?
2. What does Einstein say the German people used to believe?
3. Neither intelligence nor institutions can substitute for what?
4. Why does Einstein think the protest will do better without his participation?
5. What would be for better than for a Jewish state to be created?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say about the Jews who died in the Warsaw Ghetto battles?
2. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
3. Einstein says Kepler and Galileo "ripened" mankind for science. How did they do that?
4. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
5. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
6. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
7. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
8. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
9. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
10. Why does Einstein say Judaism is not a religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that the aim of the Jewish nation is to restore Jewish tradition and to live side-by-side with the Arabs. Discuss one of the following:
1. How well do you think the new Jewish nation achieves the aim to restore Jewish tradition?
2. How well do you think the new Jewish nation lives (peaceably) side by side with the Arabs?
3. Discuss the present day success of the goal stated above.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein attempts to explain the basis of anti-Semitism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why does Einstein think many hate Jews? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think hatred and genocide of any group of people is ever justified? Explain. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Do you think the Jewish people have any responsibility for the Arab attitude towards them in the 21st century? Why or why not?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)