|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" what percentage of the world population is Jewish?
2. What does quantum theory offer in the way of spatial relationships?
3. What is one requirement for Einstein for living in a country?
4. How does Einstein characterize his treatment when he lived in Germany earlier?
5. According to Einstein, what must Jews strive to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
2. Why does he say the protest might be better without him?
3. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
4. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
5. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
6. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
7. What does Einstein say he will only live under?
8. What caused an exchange of correspondence between Einstein and the Prussian and Bavarian academies of science in 1933?
9. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
10. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
Essay Topic 2
In Einstein's essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., he begins by talking about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Discuss the following:
1. What does Einstein mean by the phrase "cult of individuals"? Give examples.
2. Do you believe this "cult" is more or less prevalent in the United States in the first decade of the 21st century? Explain fully.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals."
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)