Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Judaism concerned?
2. What does Newton introduce in his ideas?
3. What would be for better than for a Jewish state to be created?
4. What essay opens Part 4?
5. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" what does Einstein say is alarming?
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way labor is utilized in the United States to that of Europe and third-world countries. Give examples.
2. Compare the difference between the social milieu of the United States versus that of Europe.
3. Compare the attitude of Einstein towards women versus men throughout his book. Give specific examples.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)