|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what must general laws be valid?
2. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" how many Jews are there?
3. What do the academies demand of Einstein?
4. What does Germany use to justify atrocities against the Jews?
5. What does Anti-Semitism means?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
2. Why does he say the protest might be better without him?
3. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
4. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
5. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
6. Why does Einstein say Judaism is not a religion?
7. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
8. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
9. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
10. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
Essay Topic 3
In Einstein's essay, "Remarks on Bertrand Russell's Theory of Knowledge," Einstein discusses the question as to "What knowledge is pure thought able to supply independent of sense perceptions?" Discuss the following:
1. How does Einstein say that Russell's theory of knowledge answers the above question?
2. Does Einstein completely agree with Russell? Discuss fully.
3. Explain Russell's theory of knowledge and how it is applicable in today's culture.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)