|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Einstein, what must Jews strive to be?
2. What happens if there are no general laws?
3. What would be for better than for a Jewish state to be created?
4. What do friends and foes alike say the Jews represent?
5. With what is Judaism concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein discusses both the League of Nations and its successor, UNESCO. Discuss the following:
1. What are Einstein's views about the League of Nations and UNESCO? Which does he think is more effective?
2. What improvements do Einstein thinks a world governing council needs compared to the League of Nations and UNESCO?
3. Do you think the United Nations as it exists today would meet with Einstein's approval? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Einstein's essay, "Remarks on Bertrand Russell's Theory of Knowledge," Einstein discusses the question as to "What knowledge is pure thought able to supply independent of sense perceptions?" Discuss the following:
1. How does Einstein say that Russell's theory of knowledge answers the above question?
2. Does Einstein completely agree with Russell? Discuss fully.
3. Explain Russell's theory of knowledge and how it is applicable in today's culture.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
This section contains 1,729 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)