|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Judaism concerned?
2. What does truth applied to science or religion convey?
3. To what does a fable about a shepherd boy, a horse, and a stag relate?
4. What does Newton introduce in his ideas?
5. What is the third requirement for living in a country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say Judaism is concerned with and how can it be better?
2. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
3. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
4. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
5. Why did Einstein put mathematics above other sciences?
6. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
7. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
8. Einstein says Kepler and Galileo "ripened" mankind for science. How did they do that?
9. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
10. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that Judaism should not be called a religion because it demands no "faith," just the sanctification of life. Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze the above statement and explain what you think Einstein means when he makes the above statement.
2. Do you think Zionist would agree with Einstein's statement about the sanctification of life? How about the life of non-Jews?
3. Discuss whether you think Einstein would agree with the path Zionism has taken since Einstein's death.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)