|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be for better than for a Jewish state to be created?
2. What does Infinite space mean?
3. Who "frees" space from rigidity?
4. What is one thing Einstein says Jews must do?
5. What is the result of the accusations by these scientific communities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say Judaism is concerned with and how can it be better?
2. What does Einstein Jews have been in the past two thousand years and what did they lack? What are they trying to establish now?
3. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
4. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
5. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
6. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
7. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
8. What does Einstein say he will only live under?
9. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
10. Why does he say the protest might be better without him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein discusses both the League of Nations and its successor, UNESCO. Discuss the following:
1. What are Einstein's views about the League of Nations and UNESCO? Which does he think is more effective?
2. What improvements do Einstein thinks a world governing council needs compared to the League of Nations and UNESCO?
3. Do you think the United Nations as it exists today would meet with Einstein's approval? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)