|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Einstein admire Kepler?
2. To whom do the scientific academies declare their loyalties?
3. According to Einstein, what must Jews strive to be?
4. Besides pure logical thinking what else is required to attain knowledge of the empirical world?
5. What is Einstein explaining in "A Reply to the Invitation to Participate in a Meeting against Anti-Semitism" ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
2. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
3. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
4. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
5. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
6. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
7. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
8. What does Einstein say Judaism is concerned with and how can it be better?
9. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
10. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another topic in which Einstein seems to feel quite strongly is that of disarmament. Discuss the following:
Discuss and analyze Einstein's opinions about disarmament.
Do you believe disarmament is more likely today or in the time in which Einstein writes this book? Explain fully.
What do you think about the idea of world-wide disarmament? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way labor is utilized in the United States to that of Europe and third-world countries. Give examples.
2. Compare the difference between the social milieu of the United States versus that of Europe.
3. Compare the attitude of Einstein towards women versus men throughout his book. Give specific examples.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)