|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Concepts acquire content only when connected with what?
2. Besides pure logical thinking what else is required to attain knowledge of the empirical world?
3. To whom do the scientific academies declare their loyalties?
4. What do friends and foes alike say the Jews represent?
5. What is the third requirement for living in a country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused an exchange of correspondence between Einstein and the Prussian and Bavarian academies of science in 1933?
2. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
3. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
4. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
5. Why does Einstein say Judaism is not a religion?
6. What does Einstein say about the Jews who died in the Warsaw Ghetto battles?
7. What does Einstein Jews have been in the past two thousand years and what did they lack? What are they trying to establish now?
8. Why did Einstein put mathematics above other sciences?
9. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
10. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein discusses both the League of Nations and its successor, UNESCO. Discuss the following:
1. What are Einstein's views about the League of Nations and UNESCO? Which does he think is more effective?
2. What improvements do Einstein thinks a world governing council needs compared to the League of Nations and UNESCO?
3. Do you think the United Nations as it exists today would meet with Einstein's approval? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Einstein's essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., he begins by talking about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Discuss the following:
1. What does Einstein mean by the phrase "cult of individuals"? Give examples.
2. Do you believe this "cult" is more or less prevalent in the United States in the first decade of the 21st century? Explain fully.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals."
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)