|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does a fable about a shepherd boy, a horse, and a stag relate?
2. What is the goal of the Jewish people in Palestine?
3. What does Einstein think will restore the heart of the Jewish people?
4. To what is attributed ideals of social justice, mutual aid, philanthropy, tolerance and the exaltation of intellectual aspiration and spiritual effort?
5. What happens if there are no general laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
2. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
3. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
4. What are volunteers doing in Israel during Einstein's time?
5. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
6. Why does Einstein say Judaism is not a religion?
7. What does Einstein say about the Jews who died in the Warsaw Ghetto battles?
8. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
9. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
10. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Einstein's essay, "Remarks on Bertrand Russell's Theory of Knowledge," Einstein discusses the question as to "What knowledge is pure thought able to supply independent of sense perceptions?" Discuss the following:
1. How does Einstein say that Russell's theory of knowledge answers the above question?
2. Does Einstein completely agree with Russell? Discuss fully.
3. Explain Russell's theory of knowledge and how it is applicable in today's culture.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein discusses both the League of Nations and its successor, UNESCO. Discuss the following:
1. What are Einstein's views about the League of Nations and UNESCO? Which does he think is more effective?
2. What improvements do Einstein thinks a world governing council needs compared to the League of Nations and UNESCO?
3. Do you think the United Nations as it exists today would meet with Einstein's approval? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)