|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Einstein refuse the demands?
2. What does Inertia cause?
3. How does the inertia of a given body grow?
4. Neither intelligence nor institutions can substitute for what?
5. According to Einstein, what must Jews strive to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does he say the protest might be better without him?
2. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
3. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
4. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
5. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
6. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
7. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
8. Why does Einstein say Judaism is not a religion?
9. What caused an exchange of correspondence between Einstein and the Prussian and Bavarian academies of science in 1933?
10. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Einstein's essay, "Remarks on Bertrand Russell's Theory of Knowledge," Einstein discusses the question as to "What knowledge is pure thought able to supply independent of sense perceptions?" Discuss the following:
1. How does Einstein say that Russell's theory of knowledge answers the above question?
2. Does Einstein completely agree with Russell? Discuss fully.
3. Explain Russell's theory of knowledge and how it is applicable in today's culture.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)