|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" what percentage of the world population is Jewish?
2. What is the third requirement for living in a country?
3. What do Faraday/Maxwell show exist in "free space"?
4. What has revived the sense of community, saved many lives, and provided joyous and creative work?
5. What do the academies not regret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say about the Jews who died in the Warsaw Ghetto battles?
2. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
3. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
4. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
5. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
6. Why did Einstein put mathematics above other sciences?
7. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
8. What is Einstein's opinion of what Zionism has done but what does he think is better?
9. Einstein says Kepler and Galileo "ripened" mankind for science. How did they do that?
10. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that Judaism should not be called a religion because it demands no "faith," just the sanctification of life. Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze the above statement and explain what you think Einstein means when he makes the above statement.
2. Do you think Zionist would agree with Einstein's statement about the sanctification of life? How about the life of non-Jews?
3. Discuss whether you think Einstein would agree with the path Zionism has taken since Einstein's death.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)