|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if the US, England, Germany, and France threaten to boycott Japan for its aggression in China?
2. What does Einstein believe will not move humanity forward?
3. With what does religion deal?
4. Security through superior military power is what?
5. How does Einstein characterize the women of America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
2. What does Einstein Jews have been in the past two thousand years and what did they lack? What are they trying to establish now?
3. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
4. What does Einstein say about theories and experience? How does depth of knowledge change theories relationship to experience?
5. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
6. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
7. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
8. How does Einstein feel about education specialization and what does he think students should learn?
9. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
10. What does Einstein say is the essential character of the Jews as a group and what is their contribution to the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein discusses how economics can determine the research and use of scientific knowledge. Discuss the following:
1. According to Einstein, what is the role economics plays in scientific research?
2. Do you think economics is still a strong factor in scientific research in the 21st century?
3. How do you think is the best way to finance scientific research? Why? Do you think science would advance further if economics were not a factor?
This section contains 2,099 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)