|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is is the "noblest man of our times" and a natural leader?
2. What does Einstein say is very detrimental to the respect for the government?
3. Why does Einstein think humans act and think?
4. What is valued more in Europe than in the United States?
5. What is one of Freud's accomplishments that Einstein praises?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of the two writings by Einstein that spoke of his trip to America?
2. How does Einstein feel about America in his first trip there?
3. What kind of thinker in humanities is Einstein and how does he act about his fame?
4. How does Einstein feel about America's isolationist policy and America's role in Europe?
5. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
6. Give a brief statement of Einstein's definition of religion and science.
7. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
8. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
9. What does Einstein say society depends upon schools to do and why do they?
10. For what reason does Einstein want to mobilize religious organizations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein attempts to explain the basis of anti-Semitism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why does Einstein think many hate Jews? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think hatred and genocide of any group of people is ever justified? Explain. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Do you think the Jewish people have any responsibility for the Arab attitude towards them in the 21st century? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)