|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though one man choosing to be a conscientious objector would accomplish little, what would accomplish much?
2. What does Einstein value in the German system of government?
3. Why are Americans so far removed from the Asians and Russians?
4. What does Einstein say prompts efficiency and the development of technology in the United States?
5. What does Einstein encourage lesser scientists to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about America in his first trip there?
2. How does Einstein feel about the League of Nations and aggressors? What does he say about the fate of the world?
3. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
4. What does Einstein say to the Progressive Education Association
5. What does Einstein say about Marie Curie upon her death?
6. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
7. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
8. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
9. In To the Schoolchildren of Japan what are Einstein's hopes for Japanese children and how does that bear out?
10. What does Einstein say scientists and engineers should do in relationship to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
Essay Topic 2
Another topic in which Einstein seems to feel quite strongly is that of disarmament. Discuss the following:
Discuss and analyze Einstein's opinions about disarmament.
Do you believe disarmament is more likely today or in the time in which Einstein writes this book? Explain fully.
What do you think about the idea of world-wide disarmament? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein discusses how economics can determine the research and use of scientific knowledge. Discuss the following:
1. According to Einstein, what is the role economics plays in scientific research?
2. Do you think economics is still a strong factor in scientific research in the 21st century?
3. How do you think is the best way to finance scientific research? Why? Do you think science would advance further if economics were not a factor?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)