|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will force even the most reactionary scientists to cooperate?
2. Why must disarmament and joint security occur all at once or not at all?
3. What is one of Freud's accomplishments that Einstein praises?
4. What does Einstein seem to hate above all else?
5. What does Einstein say about the League of Nations' Committee of Intellectual Cooperation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
2. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
3. How does Einstein feel about America's isolationist policy and America's role in Europe?
4. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
5. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
6. What was Einstein reflecting on in the Message in the Time-Capsule?
7. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
8. What was the name of the two writings by Einstein that spoke of his trip to America?
9. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
10. What kind of thinker in humanities is Einstein and how does he act about his fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that the aim of the Jewish nation is to restore Jewish tradition and to live side-by-side with the Arabs. Discuss one of the following:
1. How well do you think the new Jewish nation achieves the aim to restore Jewish tradition?
2. How well do you think the new Jewish nation lives (peaceably) side by side with the Arabs?
3. Discuss the present day success of the goal stated above.
Essay Topic 2
Though Einstein is most noted as a physicist, much of what he writes in this text would not seem out of place in a sociology journal. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe that just because Einstein is a brilliant physicist, it means that brilliance should be valued in areas that are very different from physics and the hard sciences?
2. What do you think would be a synthesis of Einstein's world view of humanity?
3. Which do you value most in Einstein's contribution to humanity--his views on social culture or his contributions in the field of physics and hard science? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that technology has made international peace a matter of life and death and an ethical imperative for everyone. Discuss the following:
1. Why does Einstein make the above statement? Analyze what Einstein means using examples.
2. Do you think international peace was possible in the time Einstein writes this? What about now? Why or why not?
3. What technology was present in the time Einstein wrote this that could be a matter of life and death? What about now?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)