|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has science not done?
2. What is one of Freud's accomplishments that Einstein praises?
3. Whose saying has greatly influenced Einstein since he was quite young?
4. When are people happiest?
5. With what does religion deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein say society depends upon schools to do and why do they?
2. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
3. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
4. What does Einstein say about Marie Curie upon her death?
5. How does Einstein feel about the League of Nations and aggressors? What does he say about the fate of the world?
6. What is the main theme in Paradise Lost by Einstein?
7. Give a brief statement of Einstein's definition of religion and science.
8. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
9. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
10. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein writes about military service. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly explain Einstein's opinion about military service, both volunteer and drafted.
2. Do you think Einstein's opinion about military service is realistic? Why or why not?
3. What is your opinion about required military service? Explain fully
Essay Topic 2
Though Einstein is most noted as a physicist, much of what he writes in this text would not seem out of place in a sociology journal. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe that just because Einstein is a brilliant physicist, it means that brilliance should be valued in areas that are very different from physics and the hard sciences?
2. What do you think would be a synthesis of Einstein's world view of humanity?
3. Which do you value most in Einstein's contribution to humanity--his views on social culture or his contributions in the field of physics and hard science? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein discusses both the League of Nations and its successor, UNESCO. Discuss the following:
1. What are Einstein's views about the League of Nations and UNESCO? Which does he think is more effective?
2. What improvements do Einstein thinks a world governing council needs compared to the League of Nations and UNESCO?
3. Do you think the United Nations as it exists today would meet with Einstein's approval? Why or why not?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)