Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Einstein compare Europeans to Americans?
2. What will happen if the US, England, Germany, and France threaten to boycott Japan for its aggression in China?
3. In what field do Americans fall behind their European counterparts?
4. For what do human beings have a thirst?
5. How does the individual develop and gain significance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about education specialization and what does he think students should learn?
2. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
3. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
4. What does Einstein say he will only live under?
5. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
6. What does Einstein say Judaism is concerned with and how can it be better?
7. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
8. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
9. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
10. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein discusses how economics can determine the research and use of scientific knowledge. Discuss the following:
1. According to Einstein, what is the role economics plays in scientific research?
2. Do you think economics is still a strong factor in scientific research in the 21st century?
3. How do you think is the best way to finance scientific research? Why? Do you think science would advance further if economics were not a factor?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)