|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einstein condemn in "Production and Work"?
2. What does Einstein say prompts efficiency and the development of technology in the United States?
3. What has stood in the way of the development of technology in China and India?
4. What happens when religious people insist the Bible is absolutely truth or when scientists render value judgments?
5. Though science can produce knowledge and means of action, what can it not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein talk about in The World as I See It?
2. For what reason does Einstein want to mobilize religious organizations?
3. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
4. What was the name of the two writings by Einstein that spoke of his trip to America?
5. What is Einstein's view of the relationship between technology and employment?
6. How does Einstein feel about America's isolationist policy and America's role in Europe?
7. In To the Schoolchildren of Japan what are Einstein's hopes for Japanese children and how does that bear out?
8. How does Einstein view the state's function and what does he define as a state slave?
9. What does Einstein say about Marie Curie upon her death?
10. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Einstein is most noted as a physicist, much of what he writes in this text would not seem out of place in a sociology journal. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe that just because Einstein is a brilliant physicist, it means that brilliance should be valued in areas that are very different from physics and the hard sciences?
2. What do you think would be a synthesis of Einstein's world view of humanity?
3. Which do you value most in Einstein's contribution to humanity--his views on social culture or his contributions in the field of physics and hard science? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein discusses how economics can determine the research and use of scientific knowledge. Discuss the following:
1. According to Einstein, what is the role economics plays in scientific research?
2. Do you think economics is still a strong factor in scientific research in the 21st century?
3. How do you think is the best way to finance scientific research? Why? Do you think science would advance further if economics were not a factor?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that technology has made international peace a matter of life and death and an ethical imperative for everyone. Discuss the following:
1. Why does Einstein make the above statement? Analyze what Einstein means using examples.
2. Do you think international peace was possible in the time Einstein writes this? What about now? Why or why not?
3. What technology was present in the time Einstein wrote this that could be a matter of life and death? What about now?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)