Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Einstein compare Europeans to Americans?
2. What will happen if the US, England, Germany, and France threaten to boycott Japan for its aggression in China?
3. In what field do Americans fall behind their European counterparts?
4. For what do human beings have a thirst?
5. How does the individual develop and gain significance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about education specialization and what does he think students should learn?
2. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
3. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
4. What does Einstein say he will only live under?
5. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
6. What does Einstein say Judaism is concerned with and how can it be better?
7. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
8. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
9. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
10. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
Essay Topic 1
In Einstein's essay, "Remarks on Bertrand Russell's Theory of Knowledge," Einstein discusses the question as to "What knowledge is pure thought able to supply independent of sense perceptions?" Discuss the following:
1. How does Einstein say that Russell's theory of knowledge answers the above question?
2. Does Einstein completely agree with Russell? Discuss fully.
3. Explain Russell's theory of knowledge and how it is applicable in today's culture.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein says that Judaism should not be called a religion because it demands no "faith," just the sanctification of life. Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze the above statement and explain what you think Einstein means when he makes the above statement.
2. Do you think Zionist would agree with Einstein's statement about the sanctification of life? How about the life of non-Jews?
3. Discuss whether you think Einstein would agree with the path Zionism has taken since Einstein's death.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that technology has made international peace a matter of life and death and an ethical imperative for everyone. Discuss the following:
1. Why does Einstein make the above statement? Analyze what Einstein means using examples.
2. Do you think international peace was possible in the time Einstein writes this? What about now? Why or why not?
3. What technology was present in the time Einstein wrote this that could be a matter of life and death? What about now?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)