|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose saying has greatly influenced Einstein since he was quite young?
2. What does Einstein say prompts efficiency and the development of technology in the United States?
3. What will force even the most reactionary scientists to cooperate?
4. What does Einstein seem to hate above all else?
5. Why does Einstein think people should labor as little as possible to maintain life and health?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about sharing his views?
2. Give a brief statement of Einstein's definition of religion and science.
3. What does Einstein say about Marie Curie upon her death?
4. What kind of thinker in humanities is Einstein and how does he act about his fame?
5. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
6. How does Einstein view the state's function and what does he define as a state slave?
7. What does Einstein say society depends upon schools to do and why do they?
8. What does Einstein say about scientist and religion?
9. How does Einstein feel about America's isolationist policy and America's role in Europe?
10. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
Essay Topic 2
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)