|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one good thing about the fact that America has heaped so many accolades on Einstein?
2. What should history do?
3. In "Paradise Lost," what does Einstein particularly rue?
4. Of what does Einstein warn Fascist nations?
5. With the family eroding, society depends on the schools for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main theme in Paradise Lost by Einstein?
2. How does Einstein feel about sharing his views?
3. What is Einstein's view of the relationship between technology and employment?
4. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
5. How does Einstein feel about America in his first trip there?
6. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
7. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
8. What was Einstein reflecting on in the Message in the Time-Capsule?
9. How does Einstein feel about the League of Nations and aggressors? What does he say about the fate of the world?
10. How does Einstein view the state's function and what does he define as a state slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein gives the reader an overview of his philosophy of life in the essay, "The World as I See It." Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Einstein's opinions of three topics. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
2. Compare and contrast Einstein's opinions from this essay with what you might imagine he would think today in the 21st century. How do you think his opinions would change? Would remain the same? Explain fully.
3. Discuss how you think Einstein's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a scientist.
Essay Topic 2
In Einstein's essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., he begins by talking about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Discuss the following:
1. What does Einstein mean by the phrase "cult of individuals"? Give examples.
2. Do you believe this "cult" is more or less prevalent in the United States in the first decade of the 21st century? Explain fully.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals."
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that Judaism should not be called a religion because it demands no "faith," just the sanctification of life. Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze the above statement and explain what you think Einstein means when he makes the above statement.
2. Do you think Zionist would agree with Einstein's statement about the sanctification of life? How about the life of non-Jews?
3. Discuss whether you think Einstein would agree with the path Zionism has taken since Einstein's death.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)