|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does religion deal?
2. Why are Americans so far removed from the Asians and Russians?
3. Though science can produce knowledge and means of action, what can it not do?
4. What impact does technological progress have on human relations?
5. What is the one good thing about the fact that America has heaped so many accolades on Einstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about the League of Nations and aggressors? What does he say about the fate of the world?
2. Give a brief statement of Einstein's definition of religion and science.
3. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
4. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
5. What does Einstein talk about in The World as I See It?
6. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
7. What is the main theme in Paradise Lost by Einstein?
8. What was the name of the two writings by Einstein that spoke of his trip to America?
9. How does Einstein feel about sharing his views?
10. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way labor is utilized in the United States to that of Europe and third-world countries. Give examples.
2. Compare the difference between the social milieu of the United States versus that of Europe.
3. Compare the attitude of Einstein towards women versus men throughout his book. Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein, in his essays about the Jewish people, considers himself a strong supporter of Zionism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define Zionism and discuss its origins.
2. Discuss both some positive and negative characteristics of Zionism. Give examples.
3. Discuss whether or not you believe Zionism is the best solution for the needs of the Jewish people at the time the believers in Zionism create a Jewish state.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)