|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if the US, England, Germany, and France threaten to boycott Japan for its aggression in China?
2. How are Americans foolish?
3. When are people happiest?
4. Why does Einstein think people should labor as little as possible to maintain life and health?
5. What does Einstein admire about Mahatma Ghandi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein talk about in The World as I See It?
2. How does Einstein see Gandhi?
3. For what reason does Einstein want to mobilize religious organizations?
4. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
5. How does Einstein feel about America in his first trip there?
6. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
7. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
8. How does Einstein feel about education specialization and what does he think students should learn?
9. How does Einstein see as being the only way conscientious objection can work?
10. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Religious Spirit of Science" (1934), Einstein claims that all profound scientists are religious, but not religiously naïve. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Einstein means by the above statement? Use any of the text throughout the book to explain.
2. Do you agree with the above statement? Explain fully your stance. Use any of the text throughout the book to explain.
3. Do you see any conflict between religion and science? Use any of the text throughout the book to support your statements as well as your personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
1. What are some positive aspects of science and technology?
2. What are some dangers created by science and technology?
3. Do you think science and technology mean the same thing today as it did at the time Einstein writes this book?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein says that most theories in physics build a picture of complex phenomena out of materials in a relatively simple "formal scheme" using an "analytic" rather than "synthetic" method. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly explain what you think Einstein means by the above statement. Give examples from the text and/or your own knowledge.
2. What do you think is the difference between an analytic method versus a synthetic method. Give examples of each method.
3. How do you think the term "formal scheme" is used in this statement?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)