|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einstein say about the struggle for human rights?
2. What is pacifism that fails to fight against armaments?
3. How are Americans foolish?
4. What does Einstein believe about all profound scientists?
5. What is valued more in Europe than in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
2. For what reason does Einstein want to mobilize religious organizations?
3. How does Einstein compare physicists to Alfred Nobel? What does he think they should do?
4. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
5. How does Einstein view the state's function and what does he define as a state slave?
6. What does Einstein say society depends upon schools to do and why do they?
7. How does Einstein feel about education specialization and what does he think students should learn?
8. What does Einstein talk about in The World as I See It?
9. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
10. What was the name of the two writings by Einstein that spoke of his trip to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein says that the aim of the Jewish nation is to restore Jewish tradition and to live side-by-side with the Arabs. Discuss one of the following:
1. How well do you think the new Jewish nation achieves the aim to restore Jewish tradition?
2. How well do you think the new Jewish nation lives (peaceably) side by side with the Arabs?
3. Discuss the present day success of the goal stated above.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein writes an essay titled, "Why Socialism?" A decade or two earlier, Einstein seems positive about capitalism in general, but when he writes the essay on socialism, his view of capitalism seems to have altered. Discuss the following:
1. Compare Einstein's views of capitalism to his views on socialism, including what you think Einstein's definition is of each term.
2. Which economic/social system do you think is better? Why?
3. Do you think Einstein would feel the same way about socialism today as he did when he wrote this essay?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein has met and become friends and/or colleagues with a number of notable people, many of whom he discusses in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Einstein mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes).
2. Choose three people whom Einstein mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes).
3. Judging what Einstein says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)