|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does truth applied to science or religion convey?
(a) Nothing clear.
(b) That there is no truth.
(c) A lesser truth.
(d) A higher truth.
2. What is as rigid and absolute as Newton's space?
(a) The idea of non-space.
(b) The theory of constants.
(c) The idea of ionic space.
(d) The theroy of relativity.
3. How does Einstein characterize his treatment when he lived in Germany earlier?
(a) He was often subject to unwarrented interrogations.
(b) He was treated well.
(c) He was often subject to physical abuse.
(d) He was treated poorly.
4. What does quantum theory offer in the way of spatial relationships?
(a) A way of showing the exact place of any given atom at an exact moment.
(c) The rationale for a theory of distance.
(d) It can determine the mathematical probabilities of finding structures at a particular spot.
5. For what does Einstein admire Kepler?
(a) For knowing when to look deeper into his theories.
(b) For standing by his ideas despite the inquisition.
(c) For workinhg out the laws of gravity.
(d) For working out the planetary motions with no one's support and the understanding of few.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main theme of "To the Heroes of the Battle of the Warsaw Ghetto"?
2. What has revived the sense of community, saved many lives, and provided joyous and creative work?
3. What is Einstein's response to the demands of the academies?
4. To what does a fable about a shepherd boy, a horse, and a stag relate?
5. How would you characterize Einstein's beliefs in this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
2. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
3. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
4. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
5. Why does the theory of relativity show how modern theoretical science develops?
6. How does Einstein see the change in Jews towards Palestine?
7. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
8. What does the theory of relativity say is probable about two and three dimensional space?
9. Einstein says Kepler and Galileo "ripened" mankind for science. How did they do that?
10. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)