|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the the "Riemannian curvature" do?
(a) Shows how orbits are created.
(b) Links the theory with the facts of astronomy.
(c) Helps explain the shape of Earth and other planets.
(d) Defines the orbit of electrons.
2. To what does a fable about a shepherd boy, a horse, and a stag relate?
(a) To Germany, the Nazis, and the Jews.
(b) To Jesus, Jews and Hitler.
(c) To astrology.
(d) To a nomadic way of life and astrology.
3. What guards Jews from social and psychological problems?
(a) Understanding of the Talmud.
(b) A strong family life.
(c) A good education.
(d) The ghetto.
4. What do the academies not regret?
(a) The resignation of several key members.
(b) Einstein's expulsion.
(c) Einstein's resignation.
(d) Searching for the truth.
5. What is the "ether" idea invented by earlier scientists?
(a) A medium pervading space as a vehicle for electromagnetic and light phenomena..
(b) A means of putting electrons into a suspended state.
(c) The matter in which electrical current shocks someone.
(d) A way to slow down the movement of electrons rotating around the nucleas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize Einstein's beliefs in this section of the book?
2. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" what does Einstein say is alarming?
3. What do the academies demand of Einstein?
4. What does Infinite space mean?
5. To whom do the scientific academies declare their loyalties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the academies say about their loyalties and how do they feel about his resignation?
2. Why didn't Einstein join a French rally against German anti-Semitism?
3. What supports a finite universe and who doubts that?
4. What do the Academies demand that Einstein deplores?
5. Why does Einstein admire Kepler?
6. Why did Einstein put mathematics above other sciences?
7. What can be visualized about a finite universe that could make it appear infinite and what does infinite space mean?
8. What does he say about what he has always fought for?
9. What does Einstein say a theorist must do?
10. What does Einstein say Jews must do now?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)