|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Einstein characterize the women of America?
(a) As intellectually inferior.
(b) As a millstone around the necks of their husbands.
(c) As cyphers.
(d) As rejecting advances.
2. How could unilateral disarmament be negotiated?
(a) Through enforcement of the League of Nations.
(b) Through arbitration.
(c) Through laws in a world court.
(d) Einstein is not certain about that point.
3. How does Einstein characterize people who read only newspapers and modern literature?
(b) Myopic and snobbish.
(d) Mentally frail.
4. By what ideals has Einstein lived?
(a) Beauty, happiness and curiousity.
(b) Truth, industry and happiness.
(c) Happiness, honor and comfort.
(d) Kindness, beauty and truth.
5. What is the one good thing about the fact that America has heaped so many accolades on Einstein?
(a) That it is a sign that America is open minded.
(b) That it is a sign that Americans value education.
(c) That it may help them forgive Germany's excesses.
(d) It is a sign that materialism has not completely taken over the minds of Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einstein seem to hate above all else?
2. What puzzles Einstein about one aspect of the American economy?
3. What does Einstein claim uncontrolled technology has created?
4. What will force even the most reactionary scientists to cooperate?
5. Who does Einstein think is the man least likely to be duped by desires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about sharing his views?
2. What does Einstein say scientists and engineers should do in relationship to war?
3. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
4. What was Einstein reflecting on in the Message in the Time-Capsule?
5. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
6. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
7. What is the main theme in Paradise Lost by Einstein?
8. What does Einstein say society depends upon schools to do and why do they?
9. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
10. In To the Schoolchildren of Japan what are Einstein's hopes for Japanese children and how does that bear out?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)