|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Einstein think humans act and think?
(a) In order to evolve.
(b) Because it is a compulsion built into them genetically.
(c) Because they are superior to animals.
(d) To satisfy needs and avoid pain.
2. What does Einstein laud in "Congratulations to a Critic"?
(a) The ability to receive criticism without sulking.
(b) The ability to understand without criticizing.
(c) The ability to think independently.
(d) The abillity to use criticism constructively.
3. What is valued more in Europe than in the United States?
(a) Visual art and music.
4. Who does Einstein think is the man least likely to be duped by desires?
(b) The Pope.
5. What could be organized to protect the world against nuclear power?
(a) A defensive weapon that would render fusion or fission impossible.
(b) A strong "supranational" organization,
(d) Instilling an abhorrence of war in humankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose saying has greatly influenced Einstein since he was quite young?
2. Who does Einstein praise for her moral qualities and hardships above her intellectual accomplishments?
3. What does Einstein warn the Progressive Education Association?
4. In what way does Einstein compare Europeans to Americans?
5. What three topics are addressed in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Einstein laud engineer Joseph Popper-Lynkaeus?
2. For what reason does Einstein want to mobilize religious organizations?
3. How does Einstein view the state's function and what does he define as a state slave?
4. What does Einstein say scientists and engineers should do in relationship to war?
5. What is Einstein's opinion about science, religion and conflict?
6. What does Einstein think of the policy of security through superior military power and what does he say this policy has done?
7. What was Einstein reflecting on in the Message in the Time-Capsule?
8. In Message in the Time-Capsule what does Einstein say, tongue in cheek?
9. What's the main idea behind "Freedom?"
10. Give a brief statement of Einstein's definition of religion and science.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)