|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Einstein believe about all profound scientists?
(a) That they are fooling not only themselves but the public.
(b) That they cannot be trusted.
(c) That they hold knowledge to a higher standard of verification than is necessary.
(d) That they are religious, but not religiously naïve.
2. What is one of Freud's accomplishments that Einstein praises?
(a) His desire to share openly.
(b) His system of dream interpretation.
(c) Freud's binding in the psyche of combative/destructive instincts with those of love and life.
(d) His ability to arbitrate for peace.
3. Why does Einstein think people should labor as little as possible to maintain life and health?
(a) In order to concentrate on their intellectual and artistic powers.
(b) In order to partake in spiritual pursuits.
(c) Because human relationships need as much time as possible.
(d) Because that labor has no last value.
4. How does Einstein characterize people who read only newspapers and modern literature?
(a) Myopic and snobbish.
(c) Mentally frail.
5. Security through superior military power is what?
(a) An illusion.
(b) Ultimately beneficial.
(c) Useful to a certain point.
(d) A wise attempt.
6. What do the intellectual élite lack?
(a) The cohesion to attack contemporary problems.
(b) Compassion for those of lesser ilk.
(c) The ability to understand basic causes.
(d) The foresight to make practical decisions.
7. With what does religion deal?
(a) The need for progress.
(b) The truthof scientific theories.
(c) The morality of science.
(d) Everything not predetermined by heredity, sets ideals, and educates.
8. How does the individual develop and gain significance?
(a) Through participation in the human community.
(b) By having good genes.
(c) By diligent striving.
(d) By clear thinking.
9. Who has created the League of Nations?
(d) The common people.
10. How does Einstein characterize the House Un-American Activities Committee?
(a) As a group of men doing a necessary cleansing.
(b) With the highest respect.
(c) As the lapdog of facism.
(d) As a modern inquisitional institution.
11. What does Einstein say prompts efficiency and the development of technology in the United States?
(a) The high cost of labor.
(b) The value of the individual in the United States.
(c) The intellectual prowess of Americans.
(d) The general lazy nature of Americans.
12. What has stood in the way of the development of technology in China and India?
(a) Industrial people.
(b) Dense population.
(c) Low technological ability.
(d) Religious intolerance.
13. What is the is the hidden evil power behind nationalism everywhere?
(a) A lack of clear thinking.
(b) False pride.
(c) The armament industry.
14. Whose saying has greatly influenced Einstein since he was quite young?
15. What does Einstein condemn in "Production and Work"?
(a) The use of manual labor when machines are available.
(b) The overproduction of goods.
(c) The use of machines that eliminates so many jobs.
(d) The unlimited freedom of the labor market's extraordinary progress in methods of production.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if the US, England, Germany, and France threaten to boycott Japan for its aggression in China?
2. According to Einstein, what provides no security to the world situation?
3. Into how many parts is "Religion and Science" divided?
4. Though science can produce knowledge and means of action, what can it not do?
5. Who does Einstein say are now the ones who advocate international thought?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)