|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, pp. 290-377.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though the scientific method can teach how facts relate and condition one another, what can it not do?
(a) Teach compassion.
(b) Determine the existence of God.
(c) Determine absolute truth.
(d) Deduce the goal of human aspirations.
2. How does Einstein characterize the newly-formed State of Israel?
(a) As wise as a serpent and innocent as a dove.
(b) That it conforms as closely as possible with the ethical ideals of peace, understanding, and self-restraint.
(c) As infantile in its political acumen.
(d) As just another government that falsely assumes safety is to be found in military might.
3. When are people happiest?
(a) When in an accepting community.
(b) When launching an enterprise promoting life and culture.
(c) When pursuing what interests them.
(d) When making a contribution to self enlightenment.
4. According to Einstein, what provides no security to the world situation?
(b) Belief in God.
(d) The League of Nations and Court of Arbitration.
5. How does Einstein characterize his treatment when he lived in Germany earlier?
(a) He was treated poorly.
(b) He was treated well.
(c) He was often subject to unwarrented interrogations.
(d) He was often subject to physical abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Jews from giving blind obeisance to any moral authority?
2. What is once accomplishment of DeBroglie?
3. What must be relinquished as the depth of knowledge increases and the quest for logical simplicity and uniformity in the foundations of the physical theory continue?
4. What two independent and "unfusable" systems develop around the turn of the 20th century?
5. What do physicists resign themselves to accepting new field concepts as?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)