|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, pp. 217-290.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time Einstein writes "Why Do They Hate the Jews?" how many Jews are there?
(a) 5 million.
(b) 16 million.
(c) 1.5 million.
(d) 30 million.
2. "On Academic Freedom" (1931) defends whom?
(c) E. J. Gumbel.
3. What does Einstein believe about all profound scientists?
(a) That they cannot be trusted.
(b) That they are religious, but not religiously naïve.
(c) That they hold knowledge to a higher standard of verification than is necessary.
(d) That they are fooling not only themselves but the public.
4. What do the academies not regret?
(a) Searching for the truth.
(b) Einstein's resignation.
(c) The resignation of several key members.
(d) Einstein's expulsion.
5. To what does a fable about a shepherd boy, a horse, and a stag relate?
(a) To Germany, the Nazis, and the Jews.
(b) To a nomadic way of life and astrology.
(c) To astrology.
(d) To Jesus, Jews and Hitler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einstein say about the theory of relativity?
2. Once combat starts, what is meaningless?
3. What makes life easier but also brings economic dangers that planning must address?
4. What is one attribute of American research that is giving them an increasing edge in the development of technology over other countries?
5. What are elite volunteers doing?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)