|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, pp. 28-80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has science not done?
(a) Given humankind a sense of purpose.
(b) Freed people from superstition.
(c) Freed people from religious heresy.
(d) Given humankind the means to achieve an end to war.
2. With the family eroding, society depends on the schools for what?
(a) To supervise activities rather than learning.
(b) To instill purpose in the students.
(c) To teach morals.
(d) Not to transfer a maximum quantity of knowledge to students, but to help them think and act independently.
3. What is valued more in Europe than in the United States?
(a) Visual art and music.
4. What is one attribute of American research that is giving them an increasing edge in the development of technology over other countries?
5. Of what does Einstein warn Fascist nations?
(a) Seeking to overpopulate.
(b) Being to provencial.
(c) Seeking to dominate weaker neighbors.
(d) Having too much pride in genetic heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what are Einstein's inner and outer lives based?
2. How does Einstein view Bertrand Russell?
3. Who does Einstein praise for her moral qualities and hardships above her intellectual accomplishments?
4. Whose work shatters the framework of classical mechanics and provides the basis for further research in physics?
5. What three topics are addressed in Part 1?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)