|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, pp. 28-80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should history do?
(a) Interpret the progress in civilization rather than calculating power and success.
(b) Be forgotten.
(c) Influence the future.
(d) Teach the future.
2. What does Einstein warn the Progressive Education Association?
(a) That progress without deliberation leads to becoming mired in legality.
(b) That progress without intention is disasterous.
(c) That education is worthless without morality.
(d) That teaching pacifism without spurning militarism is unrealistic.
3. For what do human beings have a thirst?
(a) Deliberate action.
(b) Absolute conviction.
(c) Assured knowledge.
4. Whose work shatters the framework of classical mechanics and provides the basis for further research in physics?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen.
(c) Frederick Grover.
(d) Paul Dirac.
5. When are people happiest?
(a) When making a contribution to self enlightenment.
(b) When launching an enterprise promoting life and culture.
(c) When in an accepting community.
(d) When pursuing what interests them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has created the League of Nations?
2. Though science can produce knowledge and means of action, what can it not do?
3. In what field do Americans fall behind their European counterparts?
4. In what year is "Religion and Science" written?
5. Why does Einstein think people should labor as little as possible to maintain life and health?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)