|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, pp. 28-80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What puzzles Einstein about one aspect of the American economy?
(a) The high tariffs on foreign goods.
(b) The lack of a savings plan.
(c) That the cost of labor is so high in comparison to goods produced.
(d) The fact that paper money is not backed by gold and silver.
2. What is valued more in Europe than in the United States?
(d) Visual art and music.
3. What does Einstein believe will not move humanity forward?
4. What does Einstein warn the Progressive Education Association?
(a) That progress without intention is disasterous.
(b) That progress without deliberation leads to becoming mired in legality.
(c) That education is worthless without morality.
(d) That teaching pacifism without spurning militarism is unrealistic.
5. When are people happiest?
(a) When pursuing what interests them.
(b) When in an accepting community.
(c) When launching an enterprise promoting life and culture.
(d) When making a contribution to self enlightenment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einstein say prompts efficiency and the development of technology in the United States?
2. What has science not done?
3. Though the scientific method can teach how facts relate and condition one another, what can it not do?
4. What does Einstein say about the struggle for human rights?
5. Whose saying has greatly influenced Einstein since he was quite young?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)