|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Goring describe his proposal to Mabel?
2. Who does Mrs. Cheveley say has only two topics of conversation--his gout and his wife?
3. Why does Lady Markby want Sir John to be sent to the Upper House?
4. In Act 3, Part 1, what event does Sir Robert say begins at eleven?
5. What does Goring say is always unscrupulous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 2
What makes An Ideal Husband a farce? What elements of a farce are present in the play? Why does Wilde make the shift from satire to farce?
Essay Topic 3
Wilde is a master of using little details that initially seem insignificant to make important points. Name three instances in which he uses small details to make a point. Identify each detail and discuss what Wilde uses the detail to say.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)