|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Goring say he didn't propose to Mabel sooner?
2. Sir Robert thinks Lady Chiltern might have been kinder to him if they had done what?
3. What does Lady Markby say Lady Bonar's new genius does?
4. Who proposes to Mabel before Goring does so in Act 4?
5. What does Lady Chiltern want to do about the theft of her letter to Goring?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subplot in An Ideal Husband. What is the subplot and what purpose does it serve? How does it contrast and/or imitate the main plot? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lady Chiltern's letter to Goring is worded in a very unclear manner. Why did Wilde word the letter in such a way? What effect does the letter have on the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Wilde almost certainly has an opinion about the ideals people try to hold each other to. What do you think his opinion is on this topic? Why do you believe this? Provide examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)