|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Goring like to know what people are saying behind his back?
2. What does Lady Markby say Lady Bonar's new genius does?
3. What does Lady Markby say is the greatest blow to a happy married life since Higher Education of Women was invented?
4. What does Mrs. Cheveley do to keep Goring from calling the police?
5. What does Lord Goring say he knows by observation and not by experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of subplot in An Ideal Husband. What is the subplot and what purpose does it serve? How does it contrast and/or imitate the main plot? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of the play wraps up a number of misconceptions that occur during the course of the play. List and discuss at least three of the misconceptions, who is affected by them, and how they are resolved.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)