|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Goring say Mrs. Cheveley knows nothing about love?
2. After Sir Robert leaves Lady Chiltern and Lord Goring in Act 2, what subject does Lady Chiltern want to discuss with Goring?
3. What does Sir Robert say his sources found out about Mrs. Cheveley?
4. What does Lady Markby say Lady Bonar's new genius does?
5. In Act 3, Part 1, what event does Sir Robert say begins at eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Goring frequently provides the comic relief in this play, he also speaks very wise truths at various points in the play. At which points does Goring show wisdom? What does he say? Do the characters he is speaking to recognize his wisdom? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of subplot in An Ideal Husband. What is the subplot and what purpose does it serve? How does it contrast and/or imitate the main plot? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Cheveley is clearly the antagonist of this play; however, the protagonist of the play isn't quite as clear since there are really three characters who undergo significant transformation through the course of the play. Identify who these three characters are and discuss the transformation each of them goes through. Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)