|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Goring say Mrs. Cheveley stole the brooch from?
2. How does Mrs. Cheveley say she got the brooch in Act 3, Part 2 when she is talking to Goring?
3. What happens to alert Sir Robert to the presence of someone in the next room when he is at Goring's?
4. Why does Lady Markby want Sir John to be sent to the Upper House?
5. What does Mrs. Cheveley do to keep Goring from calling the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde almost certainly has an opinion about the ideals people try to hold each other to. What do you think his opinion is on this topic? Why do you believe this? Provide examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde takes several jabs at politicians and the political world in this play. What can we infer about Wilde's own political opinions from this play? How does he feel about politicians and politics in general? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Wilde chose the title An Ideal Husband for this play? To whom does the title refer? Does it refer to a character or to a system of beliefs, or perhaps both?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)