|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Cheveley say has only two topics of conversation--his gout and his wife?
2. Why doesn't Goring like the name Laura?
3. Who does Goring say Mrs. Cheveley stole the brooch from?
4. According to Goring, life can't be understood and lived without what?
5. How does Mrs. Cheveley say she got the brooch in Act 3, Part 2 when she is talking to Goring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 2
An Ideal Husband is certainly a commentary on ambition and how our ambitions can affect our lives. Where do we see ambition in the play and what effect does it have on the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Although Goring frequently provides the comic relief in this play, he also speaks very wise truths at various points in the play. At which points does Goring show wisdom? What does he say? Do the characters he is speaking to recognize his wisdom? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)