|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Robert tell Lady Chiltern was her mistake after she learns his secret?
2. Who does Goring say is the only person now in danger in Act 4, Part 1?
3. At the end of Act 2, what does Mrs. Cheveley tell Lady Chiltern about Sir Robert?
4. Who does Mrs. Cheveley say has only two topics of conversation--his gout and his wife?
5. Who does Mrs. Cheveley say talks more and says less than anybody she's ever met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subplot in An Ideal Husband. What is the subplot and what purpose does it serve? How does it contrast and/or imitate the main plot? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Where does Wilde use symbolism in An Ideal Husband? What does/do the symbol(s) represent? Provide examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)