|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cheveley do to keep Goring from calling the police?
2. Why does Sir Robert say spies are of no use nowadays?
3. What does Caversham say aren't fashionable anymore?
4. In Act 3, Part 1, what event does Sir Robert say begins at eleven?
5. What does Lady Markby say is the greatest blow to a happy married life since Higher Education of Women was invented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Goring frequently provides the comic relief in this play, he also speaks very wise truths at various points in the play. At which points does Goring show wisdom? What does he say? Do the characters he is speaking to recognize his wisdom? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Where does Wilde use symbolism in An Ideal Husband? What does/do the symbol(s) represent? Provide examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the character of Caversham serve? What comment does Wilde use him to make? Provide examples from the play.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)