|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tommy Trafford's occupation?
2. To whom does Goring say "Fashion is what one wears oneself. What is unfashionable is what other people wear"?
3. Why does Lady Chiltern write a letter to Goring?
4. Who proposes to Mabel before Goring does so in Act 4?
5. According to Mrs. Cheveley, to whom does a woman owe her first duty in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Wilde use symbolism in An Ideal Husband? What does/do the symbol(s) represent? Provide examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Goring's and Sir Robert's discussion in Act 2, Part 1, regarding Sir Robert's indiscretion as he started his career offers some insight into Wilde's opinions about power and the pursuit of success. What point do you think Wilde is trying to make concerning power and success in this play? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Wilde uses two dimensional characters for a specific purpose in this play. What is that purpose? Who are the two dimensional characters? How do they support your idea of the purpose of two dimensional characters?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)