|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Markby want Sir John to be sent to the Upper House?
2. Who proposes to Mabel before Goring does so in Act 4?
3. With whom does Caversham agree when she says one can never believe a word Goring says?
4. When does Act 4 take place?
5. Why doesn't Goring like to know what people are saying behind his back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes An Ideal Husband a farce? What elements of a farce are present in the play? Why does Wilde make the shift from satire to farce?
Essay Topic 2
The central conflict in this play is not between Mrs. Cheveley and Sir Robert or Goring. Identify the central conflict of the play and how Wilde illustrates it in the play. What is the conflict? At what point in the play does Wilde make the conflict clear? How is it brought out and how is it finally resolved?
Essay Topic 3
The climax of the play wraps up a number of misconceptions that occur during the course of the play. List and discuss at least three of the misconceptions, who is affected by them, and how they are resolved.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)