|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goring want Lady Chiltern to do after he reads her letter?
2. Who does Caversham say has no common sense at all?
3. What reason does Goring give for never having a serious conversation after seven?
4. What does Goring say only dull people ever get into?
5. What reason does Mrs. Cheveley give for her passion for listening through keyholes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde takes several jabs at politicians and the political world in this play. What can we infer about Wilde's own political opinions from this play? How does he feel about politicians and politics in general? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde uses two dimensional characters for a specific purpose in this play. What is that purpose? Who are the two dimensional characters? How do they support your idea of the purpose of two dimensional characters?
Essay Topic 3
Wilde is well known for his use of wit for the purpose of political and social commentary. What comments on people, society, and politics does Wilde make in this play through the use of wit? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)