|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Cheveley say has only two topics of conversation--his gout and his wife?
2. Why does Goring say Mrs. Cheveley knows nothing about love?
3. Why doesn't Goring like to know what people are saying behind his back?
4. What does Goring want Lady Chiltern to do after he reads her letter?
5. What does Mrs. Cheveley find at Goring's while she is waiting for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Wilde chose the title An Ideal Husband for this play? To whom does the title refer? Does it refer to a character or to a system of beliefs, or perhaps both?
Essay Topic 2
How does Wilde use foreshadowing in An Ideal Husband? Name some instances of foreshadowing and what events or elements of the play they foreshadow. What purpose does Wilde's use of foreshadowing serve?
Essay Topic 3
Where does Wilde use symbolism in An Ideal Husband? What does/do the symbol(s) represent? Provide examples to support your answer.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)