|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Cheveley, to whom does a woman owe her first duty in life?
2. What does Caversham say aren't fashionable anymore?
3. Why does Caversham visit Goring in Act 3, Part 1?
4. Who does Mabel say is the most ornamental person in London?
5. How does Goring describe his proposal to Mabel?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subplot in An Ideal Husband. What is the subplot and what purpose does it serve? How does it contrast and/or imitate the main plot? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Wilde use foreshadowing in An Ideal Husband? Name some instances of foreshadowing and what events or elements of the play they foreshadow. What purpose does Wilde's use of foreshadowing serve?
Essay Topic 3
An Ideal Husband is certainly a commentary on ambition and how our ambitions can affect our lives. Where do we see ambition in the play and what effect does it have on the characters and the plot?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)