|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lord Goring prefer pluck over genius?
2. What happens to alert Sir Robert to the presence of someone in the next room when he is at Goring's?
3. Why does Lady Chiltern write a letter to Goring?
4. What does Mabel tell Lady Chiltern is very unbecoming on Goring?
5. What does Lady Chiltern want to do about the theft of her letter to Goring?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Wilde chose the title An Ideal Husband for this play? To whom does the title refer? Does it refer to a character or to a system of beliefs, or perhaps both?
Essay Topic 2
What is "the ideal husband" in the minds of Lady Chiltern and Mabel? Do their ideals differ? Do such ideals appear to be realistic? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Cheveley is clearly the antagonist of this play; however, the protagonist of the play isn't quite as clear since there are really three characters who undergo significant transformation through the course of the play. Identify who these three characters are and discuss the transformation each of them goes through. Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)