|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Markby say is the greatest blow to a happy married life since Higher Education of Women was invented?
2. Sir Robert thinks Lady Chiltern might have been kinder to him if they had done what?
3. According to Caversham, what does <i>The Times</i> say about Robert following his speech?
4. Why doesn't Goring like to know what people are saying behind his back?
5. What does Goring want Lady Chiltern to do after he reads her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde almost certainly has an opinion about the ideals people try to hold each other to. What do you think his opinion is on this topic? Why do you believe this? Provide examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Although Goring frequently provides the comic relief in this play, he also speaks very wise truths at various points in the play. At which points does Goring show wisdom? What does he say? Do the characters he is speaking to recognize his wisdom? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Wilde chose the title An Ideal Husband for this play? To whom does the title refer? Does it refer to a character or to a system of beliefs, or perhaps both?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)