|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caversham visit Goring in Act 3, Part 1?
2. What happens to alert Sir Robert to the presence of someone in the next room when he is at Goring's?
3. What does Mabel tell Lady Chiltern is very unbecoming on Goring?
4. In Act 3, Part 2, what does Goring say is a dangerous thing?
5. How does Goring claim to have gotten the brooch while talking to Mrs. Cheveley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 2
An Ideal Husband is certainly a commentary on ambition and how our ambitions can affect our lives. Where do we see ambition in the play and what effect does it have on the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Wilde uses two dimensional characters for a specific purpose in this play. What is that purpose? Who are the two dimensional characters? How do they support your idea of the purpose of two dimensional characters?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)