|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cheveley do to keep Goring from calling the police?
2. How does Goring describe his proposal to Mabel?
3. Why does Mrs. Cheveley come to visit Goring at his home?
4. At the end of Act 3, what does Mrs. Cheveley promise Goring?
5. Why doesn't Goring like the name Laura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes An Ideal Husband a farce? What elements of a farce are present in the play? Why does Wilde make the shift from satire to farce?
Essay Topic 2
Lady Chiltern's letter to Goring is worded in a very unclear manner. Why did Wilde word the letter in such a way? What effect does the letter have on the plot?
Essay Topic 3
An Ideal Husband is certainly a commentary on ambition and how our ambitions can affect our lives. Where do we see ambition in the play and what effect does it have on the characters and the plot?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)