Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lord Goring prefer pluck over genius?
2. What happens to alert Sir Robert to the presence of someone in the next room when he is at Goring's?
3. Why does Lady Chiltern write a letter to Goring?
4. What does Mabel tell Lady Chiltern is very unbecoming on Goring?
5. What does Lady Chiltern want to do about the theft of her letter to Goring?
Essay Topic 1
What makes An Ideal Husband a farce? What elements of a farce are present in the play? Why does Wilde make the shift from satire to farce?
Essay Topic 2
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 3
Wilde is well known for his use of wit for the purpose of political and social commentary. What comments on people, society, and politics does Wilde make in this play through the use of wit? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)