|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Act 4 take place?
2. Why does Caversham visit Goring in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What does Caversham say aren't fashionable anymore?
4. What does Mrs. Cheveley say modern women don't understand?
5. What does Mrs. Cheveley reveal to Goring as she leaves his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lady Chiltern's letter to Goring is worded in a very unclear manner. Why did Wilde word the letter in such a way? What effect does the letter have on the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Cheveley is clearly the antagonist of this play; however, the protagonist of the play isn't quite as clear since there are really three characters who undergo significant transformation through the course of the play. Identify who these three characters are and discuss the transformation each of them goes through. Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the character of Caversham serve? What comment does Wilde use him to make? Provide examples from the play.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)