|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Robert compare himself to in Act 3, Part 1?
2. What does Lady Chiltern want to do about the theft of her letter to Goring?
3. Why doesn't Goring like the name Laura?
4. What does Caversham say aren't fashionable anymore?
5. Who does Goring say Mrs. Cheveley stole the brooch from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What purpose does the character of Caversham serve? What comment does Wilde use him to make? Provide examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2Why do you think Wilde chose the title An Ideal Husband for this play? To whom does the title refer? Does it refer to a character or to a system of beliefs, or perhaps both?
Essay Topic 3When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)