|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cheveley say one should never give a woman?
2. What does Lord Goring say he knows by observation and not by experience?
3. What kind of woman does Goring say he'd like to marry?
4. What does Caversham say aren't fashionable anymore?
5. What does Lady Markby say Lady Bonar's new genius does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "the ideal husband" in the minds of Lady Chiltern and Mabel? Do their ideals differ? Do such ideals appear to be realistic? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
When Goring finally proposes to Mabel she accepts even though the proposal didn't occur in quite the way she hoped it would. Why do you think Goring's proposal is finally satisfactory with her even though it didn't quite meet her expectations? What does her acceptance of this less than ideal proposal say about her change in attitude toward marriage and all its trappings?
Essay Topic 3
Although Goring frequently provides the comic relief in this play, he also speaks very wise truths at various points in the play. At which points does Goring show wisdom? What does he say? Do the characters he is speaking to recognize his wisdom? Provide evidence from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)