|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lord Goring describe seeing Mrs. Cheveley at the Chiltern's party?
(a) A blast from the past.
(b) An unpleasant surprise.
(c) A heart wrenching event.
(d) A welcome diversion.
2. In Act 1, Part 1, what is needed at the embassy to prevent the ambassador from being recalled?
(a) A proper invitation.
(b) Good security.
(c) A good chef.
(d) Proper manners.
3. Which character says she's a little too old now to trouble about setting a good example?
(a) Lady Chiltern.
(b) Mrs. Cheveley.
(c) Lady Markby.
4. Why can't Goring stay longer at the Chiltern's in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He promised to stop by the Harlocks'.
(b) He has to work the next day.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He's bored.
5. According to Mrs. Cheveley, what do Englishmen always get after a good meal?
(b) A cup of tea.
(d) A good cigar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Cheveley say everyone has?
2. How long does Lady Chiltern say it's been since she and Vicomte De Nanjac last saw each other?
3. From what meeting does Lady Chiltern return from in Act 2, Part 1?
4. According to Goring, what can't women discover?
5. What secret does Mrs. Cheveley know about Sir Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Goring want from Sir Robert in return for his getting the letter to Baron Arnheim back?
2. Why does Caversham say that bachelors are no longer in fashion?
3. In Act 3, Part 2, what does Sir Robert say is the real motive behind Mrs. Cheveley blackmailing Sir Robert?
4. How has Sir Robert eased his conscience over the years since selling the cabinet secret?
5. What does Mrs. Cheveley initially do to try to convince Sir Robert to speak in favor of the Argentine Canal?
6. What does Goring tell Lady Chiltern will happen if she allows Sir Robert to sacrifice his career?
7. What reason does Mrs. Marchmont give for hating being educated?
8. How does Sir Robert initially react to the Prime Minister's offer of a seat in the cabinet?
9. In Act 1, Part 3, what is the one thing that Lady Chiltern implies would cause her to leave her husband?
10. What about Lady Chiltern's letter catches Mrs. Cheveley's eye when she is in Goring's drawing room?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)