|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Marchmont, who throws tedious parties?
(a) Sir Robert.
(b) Lord Caversham.
(c) The Hartlocks.
(d) Mrs. Cheveley.
2. What reason does Sir Robert give Goring for being unable to tell his wife about being blackmailed?
(a) She won't believe him.
(b) She'll tell the police.
(c) He would have lost her love.
(d) She'll die of heartbreak.
3. Why does Lady Chiltern say she'll always love Sir Robert in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He is successful.
(b) He will always be worthy of love.
(c) He's her husband.
(d) He will never make a mistake.
4. How well did Goring know Mrs. Cheveley in the past?
(a) He was once engaged to her for three days.
(b) They were acquaintances.
(c) They grew up together.
(d) They didn't know each other at all.
5. Why does Goring say people are pleased to find out about other people's secrets?
(a) It distracts public attention from their own.
(b) It makes them feel better.
(c) They like juicy gossip.
(d) It gives them something to talk about.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says she's a little too old now to trouble about setting a good example?
2. Who puts the lights out at the end of Act 1?
3. How does Mrs. Cheveley say she stays young and beautiful?
4. Why can't Goring stay longer at the Chiltern's in Act 1, Part 3?
5. In Act 1, Part 3, what does Goring call the item Mabel finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Cheveley accuse Goring of being "absurdly English"?
2. Why does Caversham say that bachelors are no longer in fashion?
3. How does Sir Robert describe terror in Act 2, Part 1?
4. Why is Lady Chiltern taken aback by what Mrs. Cheveley says to her as she leaves the party at the Chiltern home?
5. Why isn't Mabel interested in men who have a future?
6. How does Lady Chiltern feel when she first learns that Sir Robert sold a cabinet secret?
7. What does Goring want from Sir Robert in return for his getting the letter to Baron Arnheim back?
8. How does Goring finally get Mrs. Cheveley to give him Sir Robert's letter?
9. How does Mrs. Cheveley plan to use the letter Sir Robert wrote to Baron Arnheim regarding the Argentine Canal?
10. Why is Mabel angry with Goring in Act 4, Part 1?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)