|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tommy Trafford's occupation?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is Sir Robert's secretary.
(c) He doesn't have a job.
(d) He's a student.
2. Why doesn't Goring like the name Laura?
(a) Because he can never spell it correctly.
(b) Because it is his mother's name.
(c) Because it's an ugly name.
(d) Because it's Mrs. Cheveley's first name and he used to adore it.
3. When Sir Robert leaves Goring's, whom does Goring think Sir Robert was talking about?
(a) Lady Chiltern.
(b) Lady Markby.
(d) Mrs. Cheveley.
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Cheveley think life has taught Lady Chiltern anything?
(a) Lady Chiltern is a society lady.
(b) Lady Chiltern is ignorant.
(c) Because Lady Chiltern hasn't changed.
(d) Lady Chiltern still looks very young.
5. In Act 3, Part 2, when does Mrs. Cheveley say she wants Goring to promise to marry her?
(c) After Sir Robert's ruin.
(d) By week's end.
6. Who does Mabel say is the most ornamental person in London?
(a) Mrs. Cheveley.
(b) Lady Chiltern.
7. What does Sir Robert compare himself to in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) A ship without a rudder.
(b) A compass without a needle.
(c) The tip of a pen.
(d) A lovelorn teenager.
8. At the end of Act 2, what does Mrs. Cheveley tell Lady Chiltern about Sir Robert?
(a) He sold a stockbroker a cabinet secret.
(b) He made a pass at Lady Markby.
(c) He was once a poor man.
(d) He plans to divorce Lady Chiltern.
9. Who proposes to Mabel before Goring does so in Act 4?
(b) Tommy Trafford.
(d) Lord Devonshire.
10. What does Mrs. Cheveley do to keep Goring from calling the police?
(a) Offers Goring money.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Gives him Sir Robert's letter.
(d) Begs his forgiveness.
11. Why do Lady Markby and Mrs. Cheveley say they've come to call on Mrs. Chiltern in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) To see if anyone found Mrs. Cheveley's diamond brooch.
(b) To thank her for the party.
(c) To bring her a gift.
(d) To discuss Sir Robert.
12. What does Goring say only dull people ever get into?
(b) The House of Commons.
(c) The upper crust.
(d) Caversham's circle of friends.
13. What does Sir Robert tell Lady Chiltern was her mistake after she learns his secret?
(a) To love him.
(b) To expect him to remain a politician.
(c) To think he was without faults.
(d) To marry him.
14. How does Goring claim to have gotten the brooch while talking to Mrs. Cheveley?
(a) He stole it.
(b) It was a gift.
(c) He found it.
(d) He bought it at a pawn shop.
15. What does Mrs. Cheveley say one should never give a woman?
(a) Too much credit.
(b) Your heart.
(d) Anything she cannot wear in the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cheveley reveal to Goring as she leaves his house?
2. What does Goring say makes marriage such a hopeless, one-sided institution?
3. Sir Robert thinks Lady Chiltern might have been kinder to him if they had done what?
4. In Act 3, Part 1, what does Sir Robert say is the greatest thing in the world?
5. According to Mabel, what does a man say to a girl before he marries her and never after?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)