|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes charge of the item Mabel finds in the couch?
(a) Sir Robert.
(d) Mrs. Chiltern.
2. According to Lady Markby, what about Sir John has become unbearable?
(a) His temper.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His weight.
(d) His constant talking.
3. How well did Goring know Mrs. Cheveley in the past?
(a) They didn't know each other at all.
(b) They were acquaintances.
(c) They grew up together.
(d) He was once engaged to her for three days.
4. What does Sir Robert say that sooner or later one must do in political life?
(b) Lose an election.
5. What reason does Mrs. Cheveley give Sir Robert for not giving him time to consider her offer?
(a) The House of Commons won't wait for his speech.
(b) She is leaving the country.
(c) She is impatient for his answer.
(d) She has to telegraph Vienna that night.
6. What does Sir Robert say are the only two fashionable religions?
(a) Catholic and Lutheran.
(b) Optimism and Pessimism.
(c) Politics and Society.
(d) Money and Power.
7. To what flower does the author compare Mrs. Cheveley?
(a) An orchid.
(b) A rose.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A tulip.
8. What is Lady Chiltern's first name?
9. During Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Cheveley say we all must do sooner or later?
(b) Get older.
(c) Pay for what we do.
10. According to Lady Markby, what is fashionable in marriage nowadays?
(a) For people to wait until they are older to marry.
(b) For people to marry as often as they can.
(c) For people to stay together for a long time.
(d) For people never to marry.
11. What does Mrs. Cheveley tell Sir Robert she did not receive prizes for?
(a) Good conduct.
(d) Good grades.
12. What secret does Mrs. Cheveley know about Sir Robert?
(a) The real origin of his wealth.
(b) He has an illegitimate child.
(c) He was once poor.
(d) He had an affair.
13. What is Sir Robert's initial response to Mrs. Cheveley's request concerning his speech?
(a) He is very excited.
(b) He asks her to come watch him speak.
(c) He refuses.
(d) He agrees.
14. In Act 1, Part 3, what does Mabel say about Mrs. Cheveley after she leaves?
(a) She is a lovely woman.
(b) She is a horrid woman.
(c) She has beautiful clothes.
(d) She is very intelligent.
15. What does Sir Robert offer Mrs. Cheveley in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Any sum of money she wants.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A high position in London society.
(d) A good word to Goring.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Cheveley, what do Englishmen always get after a good meal?
2. How does Mrs. Cheveley reply to Sir Robert when he asks, "What brought you into my life?"
3. In Act 1, Part 3, what does Goring call the item Mabel finds?
4. What does Goring say it's a good thing for most of us that life is not?
5. Why does Goring say people are pleased to find out about other people's secrets?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)