Short Essay Questions Key
1. What reason does Mrs. Marchmont give for hating being educated?
Mrs. Marchmont says she hates being educated because it puts her almost on the same level as the commercial classes.
2. Why does Mrs. Cheveley say she thinks the London season is too matrimonial?
Mrs. Cheveley says the London season is too matrimonial because people are either hiding from their husbands or hunting for a husband.
3. What is Goring's reaction to Mabel's revelation in Act 1, Part 1, that she does not like Mrs. Cheveley?
When Mabel tells Goring she doesn't like Mrs. Cheveley, Goring says that she shows admirable good taste.
4. Why does Goring enjoy political parties?
Goring enjoys political parties because he says they are the last place where people don't talk politics.
5. How does Lord Goring say the men in the House of Commons stand the long debates that take place?
Goring says the men in the House of Commons survive the long debates by simply not listening to them.
This section contains 2,399 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)