Act 1, Part 1
• Sir Robert Chiltern and his wife, Lady Chiltern, greet guests as they arrive for a party.
• Lady Chiltern tells Lord Caversham that his son hasn't arrived yet, and the two talk with Mabel about Goring's aimless lifestyle.
• Mabel hints that she is interested in a romantic relationship with Goring.
• Lady Markby arrives with Mrs. Cheveley, whom Lady Chiltern went to school with and does not like.
• Sir Robert converses with Lady Markby and the audience learns that he is a politician as is Lady Markby's husband.
• Lady Markby does not approve of the work being done in the House of Commons.
• Lady Markby says that she's brought Mrs. Cheveley with her and that Mrs. Cheveley has recently arrived from Vienna.
• Mrs. Cheveley and Sir Robert speak and Sir Robert asks what she's come to London for.
• Mrs. Cheveley states she's come to London to meet Sir...
This section contains 2,293 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)