|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
2. How do Livia and Urgulania describe the marriage of Claudius and Urgulanilla?
3. What does rebel leader Bato compare the Roman governors to?
4. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
5. Claudius is the biological grandson of:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
2. Why does Germanicus send his wife Agrippina, back to Rome?
3. Why does Livia make sure that Claudius is gone while Germanicus is in Rome?
4. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
5. What argument does Tiberius use with Germanicus to get him to return to Rome?
6. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
7. How does Claudius find out that his letters to Germanicus are being intercepted?
8. What criticism does Pollio make about Livy?
9. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
10. What is deification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different was the Roman army to our military? Write an essay comparing the two.
Essay Topic 2
Of the three emperors shown in this novel, the progression goes from good to bad to horrible. Was this related to the power that grew from one emperor to another? Write an essay addressing the role that unchecked power plays in the corruption of a ruler.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Claudius survive, when all his other relatives perish? Write an essay that explains his longevity.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)