|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
2. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
3. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
4. What language does Claudius use to write his autobiography?
5. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it better for Claudius that Livia thinks he is an idiot?
2. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
3. What does Pollio imply about the death of Claudius's grandfather?
4. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
5. What argument does Tiberius use with Germanicus to get him to return to Rome?
6. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
7. How does Tiberius react to Germanicus's loyal quelling of the troop revolts?
8. Why does Livia make sure that Claudius is gone while Germanicus is in Rome?
9. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
10. Describe the book that Livia writes
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different was the Roman army to our military? Write an essay comparing the two.
Essay Topic 2
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
Essay Topic 3
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)