|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name all of Julia's husbands.
2. Who is Flavius?
3. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
4. What did Augustus tell Claudius just a month before he died?
5. What excuse does Claudius give to his mother for selling his property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What criticism does Pollio make about Livy?
2. Why is Rome so vulnerable to attack by the German forces after Varus dies?
3. What book does Claudius write after finishing his history on Augustus's religious reforms?
4. How does Claudius describe Urgulanilla?
5. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
6. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
7. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
8. How does Claudius feel about his son, Drusillus?
9. Why does Claudius wait until Germanicus returns to Rome to tell him that Postumus was innocent?
10. How does Claudius find out that his letters to Germanicus are being intercepted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the role of prophecy in the Roman religion.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)