|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
2. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
3. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
4. What does Augustus do when he discovers that Julia is having sexual affairs?
5. Which historian does Claudius hope to emulate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claudius wait until Germanicus returns to Rome to tell him that Postumus was innocent?
2. Describe the book that Livia writes
3. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
4. Why does Livia make sure that Claudius is gone while Germanicus is in Rome?
5. Why does Livia target Julilla and her unborn child?
6. Why does Tiberius need Livia's help in running the government?
7. How is Claudius related to Augustus Caesar?
8. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
9. What three things does Antonia tell Claudius are impossible?
10. Why is it better for Claudius that Livia thinks he is an idiot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
George Washington has often been compared to Augustus Caesar. Make a comparison of the two historical figures. How were they similar and how were they different?
Essay Topic 3
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)