|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claudius actually reading?
2. What distinction does Claudius make between Tiberius and Germanicus?
3. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
4. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
5. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sejanus arrange for Claudius's divorce?
2. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
3. What power does Livia still hold over Tiberius?
4. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
5. Why does Livia target Julilla and her unborn child?
6. Why does Tiberius need Livia's help in running the government?
7. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
8. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
9. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
10. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that addresses the differences (or similarities) between marriage and divorce in Ancient Rome and in our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Livia was the most powerful woman of her time in Ancient Rome. But only because she was willing to commit crimes and manipulate those men who held political power. Would Livia have made the same choices in a system where she could rule directly, without a husband or son?
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)