|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Tiberius repay Germanicus for the gold coins he gave to the soldiers?
2. What does the name "Caligula" mean?
3. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
4. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
5. What does Claudius think is the reason for the low marriage rate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rome so vulnerable to attack by the German forces after Varus dies?
2. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
3. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
4. How does Claudius feel about his son, Drusillus?
5. Describe the book that Livia writes
6. Why does Germanicus send his wife Agrippina, back to Rome?
7. How does Claudius find out that his letters to Germanicus are being intercepted?
8. What three things does Antonia tell Claudius are impossible?
9. Why does Claudius wait until Germanicus returns to Rome to tell him that Postumus was innocent?
10. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Roman Republic to another democratic system, either the United States government, or the British Parliamentary system, or another of your choosing.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Research a paper about the institution of slavery in Ancient Rome.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)