|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Augustus tell Claudius just a month before he died?
2. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
3. What is a Triumvirate?
4. Who kills the German soldier who offered to fight "any Roman?"
5. Name all of Julia's husbands.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
2. Why does Livia not expose Drusus's plan to dethrone Augustus?
3. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
4. What praise does Claudius give to his grandmother, Livia?
5. How is Claudius related to Augustus Caesar?
6. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
7. How does Livia get rid of Postumus?
8. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
9. How does Tiberius react to Germanicus's loyal quelling of the troop revolts?
10. How does Claudius feel about his son, Drusillus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Research a paper about the institution of slavery in Ancient Rome.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and contrast the character in the story with his or her historical character:
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)