|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best part of Germanicus's final incursions against the Germans?
2. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
3. What do the eagles drop into Claudius's gown?
4. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
5. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
2. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
3. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
4. Why does Livia not expose Drusus's plan to dethrone Augustus?
5. Why does Claudius wait until Germanicus returns to Rome to tell him that Postumus was innocent?
6. How does Claudius describe Urgulanilla?
7. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
8. What is deification?
9. How does Livia get rid of Postumus?
10. Why is it better for Claudius that Livia thinks he is an idiot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Roman Republic to another democratic system, either the United States government, or the British Parliamentary system, or another of your choosing.
Essay Topic 3
How different was the Roman army to our military? Write an essay comparing the two.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)