|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustus do when he discovers that Julia is having sexual affairs?
2. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
3. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
4. What title does Tiberius refuse on Livia's behalf?
5. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What book does Claudius write after finishing his history on Augustus's religious reforms?
2. What three things does Antonia tell Claudius are impossible?
3. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
4. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
5. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
6. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
7. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
8. What praise does Claudius give to his grandmother, Livia?
9. Why is Rome so vulnerable to attack by the German forces after Varus dies?
10. Why does Livia make sure that Claudius is gone while Germanicus is in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that addresses the differences (or similarities) between marriage and divorce in Ancient Rome and in our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Contrast the Roman path to power with the American path. What does it take to be a successful person in Rome compared to what it takes in our country? Are the definitions of success the same in both cultures? If not, how do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Livia was the most powerful woman of her time in Ancient Rome. But only because she was willing to commit crimes and manipulate those men who held political power. Would Livia have made the same choices in a system where she could rule directly, without a husband or son?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)