|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
2. Name all of Julia's husbands.
3. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
4. What really happened to Postumus?
5. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tiberius need Livia's help in running the government?
2. Why does Livia make sure that Claudius is gone while Germanicus is in Rome?
3. What argument does Tiberius use with Germanicus to get him to return to Rome?
4. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
5. How does Livia get rid of Postumus?
6. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
7. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
8. Why is it better for Claudius that Livia thinks he is an idiot?
9. How does Claudius feel about his son, Drusillus?
10. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livia was the most powerful woman of her time in Ancient Rome. But only because she was willing to commit crimes and manipulate those men who held political power. Would Livia have made the same choices in a system where she could rule directly, without a husband or son?
Essay Topic 2
How different was the Roman army to our military? Write an essay comparing the two.
Essay Topic 3
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)