Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claudius actually reading?
2. What distinction does Claudius make between Tiberius and Germanicus?
3. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
4. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
5. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sejanus arrange for Claudius's divorce?
2. Why is Germanicus's support necessary to redeem Postumus in Rome?
3. What power does Livia still hold over Tiberius?
4. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
5. Why does Livia target Julilla and her unborn child?
6. Why does Tiberius need Livia's help in running the government?
7. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
8. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
9. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
10. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
Essay Topic 1
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
Essay Topic 2
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
Essay Topic 3
George Washington has often been compared to Augustus Caesar. Make a comparison of the two historical figures. How were they similar and how were they different?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)