|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claudius suspect happened to Drusilla?
(a) She was thrown in the river.
(b) Caligula starved her to death.
(c) Caligula cut her throat.
(d) She ran away to escape her brother.
2. What was the biggest obstacle to the plot to assassinate Caligula?
(a) Caligula had a strong network of spies in the palace.
(b) The German bodyguards were fanatically devoted to him.
(c) No one was sure if Caligula was mortal or immortal.
(d) Most of the people in Rome still loved Caligula.
3. What, according to Sejanus, is the Leek Green Party?
(a) A political faction led by Agrippina
(b) A secret group of skilled assassins
(c) Livia's network of senator's wives
(d) An event to which Tiberius was not invited
4. What does Claudius miss most when he is staying in Carthage?
(a) Playing dice
5. Why do the soldiers need a new emperor?
(a) To keep the people of Rome happy
(b) To keep expanding Roman territory
(c) To placate the German bodyguards
(d) To make sure they get paid
6. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
(a) He executed the most wealthy locals for treason.
(b) He raided the houses of all the wealthy landowners.
(c) He raised the local taxes by three hundred percent.
(d) He held an auction and sold off the royal family's goods.
7. Why was Claudius summoned to the Hall of Justice late one night?
(a) To judge a trial against Jove
(b) To be sentenced to death
(c) To watch Caligula dance
(d) To go over Livia's records
8. How does Caligula react to Cassius's story of a German ambush?
(a) He scoffs at Cassius.
(b) He runs away in terror.
(c) He re-enacts it the next day.
(d) He declares the story untrue.
9. What does Urgulania tell Claudius about her future?
(a) Her granddaughter will marry the emperor.
(b) She is going to marry a senator.
(c) She will see Claudius become emperor.
(d) She is due to die this year.
10. The Senator Incitatus was:
(a) The first non-Roman Senator
(b) An actor who made fun of Senators
(c) Senator Gallus's nephew
(d) Caligula's favorite race horse
11. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
12. With Tiberius gone, who was left in charge of the Roman Empire?
13. Where is Senator Gallus when the Roman Guards come to arrest him?
(a) Eating dinner with Tiberius
(b) Seeing Agrippina off at the harbor
(c) Just outside the Senate building
(d) Returning to Rome from his villa
14. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Spend too much time with Agrippina
(b) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
(c) Get married again too soon
(d) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
15. What disturbs Claudius about Caligula?
(a) Caligula spends all his time gambling.
(b) Caligula spends too much time with Tiberius.
(c) Caligula likes to watch animals being killed.
(d) Caligula seems to share a secret with Livia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
2. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
3. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
4. What is Claudius surprised about once Livia is dead?
5. One of Caligula's first acts is to:
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)