|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) Waiting for him at the Palace
(b) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(c) Sitting in the seats at the theater
(d) Walking about twenty paces behind him
2. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
(a) He stops holding games to punish the citizens for booing.
(b) He orders so many holidays that no work can get done.
(c) He pushes hundreds of people into the water to drown.
(d) He begins ordering everyone to wear the color green.
3. What does Germanicus fear Plancina is doing?
(a) Corrupting his children's discipline
(b) Practicing witchcraft against him
(c) Stealing money from the treasury
(d) Undermining Agrippina's authority
4. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
(a) An invitation to dine with her.
(b) An appointment to join the Senate.
(c) A warning about Sejanus's intentions.
(d) A copy of Augustus's letters.
5. Which crime did Caligula reinstate as a capital crime?
(c) Tax Evasion
6. How does Tiberius die?
(a) Macro smothers him with a pillow.
(b) He dies quietly of old age.
(c) Caligula stabs him in the heart.
(d) He gets a chill from traveling.
7. What does Livia do to embarrass Tiberius?
(a) Denounces him in front of the Senate
(b) Gives a public reading of Augustus's letters
(c) Publishes his love letters to Vispania
(d) Hires an actor to caracature him in public
8. Where was Caligula assassinated?
(a) In a house belonging to Claudius
(b) In his rooms at the Palace
(c) Down by the river docks
(d) Just outside the amphitheater
9. What does Tiberius do when he meets with Agrippina?
(a) Calls her a traitor and cuts off her head
(b) Tries to seduce her in his bedchamber
(c) Beats her senseless with a vine sapling
(d) Promises to help her any way that he can
10. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
(a) People who cannot pay their debts
(b) Former Senators and their wives
(c) Prisoners of war from Germany
(d) Hostages from foreign lands
11. Agrippina asks Tiberius for permission to marry who?
(a) Tiberius's adviser, Sejanus
(b) Tiberius's mocker, Gallus
(c) The honored general, Blæasus
(d) Her brother-in-law, Claudius
12. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
(a) In a villa in Pompeii
(b) In the city of Capua
(c) On the island of Capri
(d) In the town of Lyons
13. What finally happens to Tiberius's body?
(a) It is half-burned in the town of Atilla.
(b) It is burned on the Mars Field with honors.
(c) It is left to rot on the Island of Capri.
(d) It is thrown into the Tiber like a criminal.
14. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
(a) His nephew, Caligula
(b) A hired assassin
(c) His brother's wife
(d) His wife, Urgulanilla
15. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
(a) He thought it looked better.
(b) He was going bald himself.
(c) He was afraid of lice.
(d) Only the Gods can have hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Martina, the chief witness against Piso and Plancina?
2. What does Livia beg Claudius to do for her?
3. Why is Piso sent to Syria?
4. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
5. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)