|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
(a) His nephew, Caligula
(b) A hired assassin
(c) His brother's wife
(d) His wife, Urgulanilla
2. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
(a) A copy of Augustus's letters.
(b) An invitation to dine with her.
(c) An appointment to join the Senate.
(d) A warning about Sejanus's intentions.
3. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
4. What, according to Claudius, was a great turning point in Tiberius's reign?
(a) Sejanus banishing Nero
(b) The retirement to Capri
(c) The Senate honoring Sejanus
(d) The death of Livia
5. Where do the looting soldiers find Claudius?
(a) Hiding behind a curtain
(b) Reading books in a library
(c) Taking a bath in his rooms
(d) Eating luncheon in the Palace
6. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
(a) One Farthing
(b) Chipped Stone
(d) Naughty Goat
7. What does Livia tell Claudius about himself?
(a) That he is going to conquer Britain
(b) That he is going to avenge Caligula's death
(c) That he is going to kill Tiberius
(d) That he is going to become a God
8. What does Germanicus fear Plancina is doing?
(a) Undermining Agrippina's authority
(b) Stealing money from the treasury
(c) Practicing witchcraft against him
(d) Corrupting his children's discipline
9. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
(a) Nerva asks to go back to Rome.
(b) Nerva is killed by Caligula.
(c) Nerva learns the truth about Tiberius.
(d) Nerva simply stops eating one day.
10. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
(a) In the town of Lyons
(b) In a villa in Pompeii
(c) In the city of Capua
(d) On the island of Capri
11. Why was Claudius summoned to the Hall of Justice late one night?
(a) To judge a trial against Jove
(b) To go over Livia's records
(c) To watch Caligula dance
(d) To be sentenced to death
12. What does Livia beg Claudius to do for her?
(a) Protect her great-grandchildren
(b) Restore the Republic
(c) Make sure she is deified
(d) Tell the true history of Rome
13. What was the biggest obstacle to the plot to assassinate Caligula?
(a) Caligula had a strong network of spies in the palace.
(b) The German bodyguards were fanatically devoted to him.
(c) No one was sure if Caligula was mortal or immortal.
(d) Most of the people in Rome still loved Caligula.
14. How does Tiberius die?
(a) Macro smothers him with a pillow.
(b) He gets a chill from traveling.
(c) He dies quietly of old age.
(d) Caligula stabs him in the heart.
15. What does Livia demand Claudius do to Urgulanilla's baby?
(a) Strangle it in the cradle
(b) Adopt it as his own
(c) Sell it into slavery
(d) Expose it on a hillside
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Senator Gallus when the Roman Guards come to arrest him?
2. What does Caligula begin to dread after he tortures Brassus?
3. What finally happens to Plancina?
4. The Senator Incitatus was:
5. What does Tiberius do when he meets with Agrippina?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)