|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
(a) Nerva and Thrasyllus
(b) Nerva and Vispania
(c) Sejanus and Livia
(d) Sejanus and Thrasyllus
2. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
(a) He raised the local taxes by three hundred percent.
(b) He executed the most wealthy locals for treason.
(c) He raided the houses of all the wealthy landowners.
(d) He held an auction and sold off the royal family's goods.
3. What does Antonia say that Caligula did to Drusilla?
(a) Killed her pony
(b) Tried to kill her
(c) Locked her in a room
(d) Committed incest
4. Why does Claudius not want to be emperor?
(a) He just wants to live quietly.
(b) He knows that he will abuse the position.
(c) He wants Rome to be a republic.
(d) He fears that he will be killed.
5. What happens to Nero's brother, Drusus?
(a) He is banished to a very small, rocky island.
(b) He is told to take command of the troops in Germany.
(c) He is imprisoned in an attic in the Palace.
(d) He becomes one of Tiberius's trusted advisors.
6. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
(a) In the city of Capua
(b) In the town of Lyons
(c) On the island of Capri
(d) In a villa in Pompeii
7. What does Livia tell Claudius about her own death?
(a) That she wants him to plan her funeral
(b) That she is planning to commit suicide
(c) That she knows the very day she will die
(d) That she will be murdered by Tiberius
8. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
(a) Persuade Piso to kill himself before the trial ends
(b) Get the incriminating letter that Livia wrote to Piso
(c) To leave Rome and return to Syria after Piso's death
(d) Use her witchcraft to kill Agrippina and her children
9. Who is the first person that Caligula ordered killed after taking the throne?
10. Which sister of Caligula did he claim as his favorite?
11. Why do the soldiers need a new emperor?
(a) To placate the German bodyguards
(b) To keep expanding Roman territory
(c) To keep the people of Rome happy
(d) To make sure they get paid
12. What does Tiberius do when he meets with Agrippina?
(a) Beats her senseless with a vine sapling
(b) Calls her a traitor and cuts off her head
(c) Tries to seduce her in his bedchamber
(d) Promises to help her any way that he can
13. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
(a) Prisoners of war from Germany
(b) People who cannot pay their debts
(c) Hostages from foreign lands
(d) Former Senators and their wives
14. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
(a) To marry her and make her honest
(b) The equivalent in cash
(c) That he save his money instead
(d) That he buy more cows for the farm
15. Where is Senator Gallus when the Roman Guards come to arrest him?
(a) Seeing Agrippina off at the harbor
(b) Eating dinner with Tiberius
(c) Returning to Rome from his villa
(d) Just outside the Senate building
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
2. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
3. What was the biggest obstacle to the plot to assassinate Caligula?
4. Where is Germanicus sent after finishing his Consulship?
5. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)