|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the spoils of Caligula's war on Neptune?
(a) Lobsters and jellyfish
(b) Cartloads of seaweed
(c) Ropes of black pearls
(d) Boxes of seashells
2. How did Afer escape death when he was tried by Caligula for treason?
(a) He left town before the trial started.
(b) He bribed Caligula to deliver a non-guilty verdict.
(c) He flattered Caligula on his oratorical style.
(d) He offered to let Caligula sleep with his wife.
3. How does the Senate react to Tiberius's denouncement of Agrippina and Nero?
(a) They hold a long debate on the issue.
(b) They immediately order punishment.
(c) They are shocked into silence.
(d) They rise up and refuse to accept it.
4. What thought does Claudius comfort himself with as he is made emperor?
(a) That he was able to save his wife and young son
(b) That Livia was right about him after all
(c) That he will be able to restore the Republic soon
(d) That people will finally want to read his books
5. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
(a) A warning about Sejanus's intentions.
(b) An appointment to join the Senate.
(c) An invitation to dine with her.
(d) A copy of Augustus's letters.
6. What does Livia call Caligula?
(a) An artist
(b) A monster
(c) A sweetheart
(d) Very handsome
7. What does Antonia do after speaking to Caligula about Gemellus's death?
(a) Speak to the Senate
(b) Write to Claudius
(c) Sell her furniture
(d) Commit suicide
8. How does Tiberius die?
(a) Macro smothers him with a pillow.
(b) He gets a chill from traveling.
(c) He dies quietly of old age.
(d) Caligula stabs him in the heart.
9. Cassius Chærea was disgusted when Caligula made him:
(a) Get married to a young boy.
(b) Kill a batch of puppies.
(c) Torture a young noble woman.
(d) Play horsie for Drusilla.
10. What finally happens to Plancina?
(a) She returns to Syria and marries the new governor.
(b) She is invited to dinner by Livia and poisoned.
(c) She kills herself by taking poison.
(d) She is acquitted of murdering Germanicus.
11. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
(a) Get the incriminating letter that Livia wrote to Piso
(b) To leave Rome and return to Syria after Piso's death
(c) Persuade Piso to kill himself before the trial ends
(d) Use her witchcraft to kill Agrippina and her children
12. How does Caligula react to Cassius's story of a German ambush?
(a) He runs away in terror.
(b) He declares the story untrue.
(c) He scoffs at Cassius.
(d) He re-enacts it the next day.
13. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
14. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
(a) He was much nicer than you would think.
(b) He was the only man I ever loved.
(c) I did not hate him.
(d) He is no fool.
15. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
(a) That he save his money instead
(b) To marry her and make her honest
(c) The equivalent in cash
(d) That he buy more cows for the farm
Short Answer Questions
1. Which crime did Caligula reinstate as a capital crime?
2. What does Claudius suspect happened to Drusilla?
3. With Tiberius gone, who was left in charge of the Roman Empire?
4. What does Livia beg Claudius to do for her?
5. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)