|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
(a) An appointment to join the Senate.
(b) A warning about Sejanus's intentions.
(c) A copy of Augustus's letters.
(d) An invitation to dine with her.
2. What does Livia tell Claudius about himself?
(a) That he is going to kill Tiberius
(b) That he is going to conquer Britain
(c) That he is going to become a God
(d) That he is going to avenge Caligula's death
3. What happens to Nero's brother, Drusus?
(a) He is imprisoned in an attic in the Palace.
(b) He is banished to a very small, rocky island.
(c) He is told to take command of the troops in Germany.
(d) He becomes one of Tiberius's trusted advisors.
4. What does Livia tell Claudius about her own death?
(a) That she knows the very day she will die
(b) That she is planning to commit suicide
(c) That she will be murdered by Tiberius
(d) That she wants him to plan her funeral
5. Which crime did Caligula reinstate as a capital crime?
(a) Tax Evasion
6. Why was Claudius summoned to the Hall of Justice late one night?
(a) To watch Caligula dance
(b) To be sentenced to death
(c) To judge a trial against Jove
(d) To go over Livia's records
7. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
(a) He was much nicer than you would think.
(b) I did not hate him.
(c) He is no fool.
(d) He was the only man I ever loved.
8. How old is Caligula when he becomes emperor?
(a) Thirty years old
(b) Twenty years old
(c) Twenty-five years old
(d) Thirty-five years old
9. Who is the first person that Caligula ordered killed after taking the throne?
10. What does Castor promise Agrippina that he will do?
(a) Speak to Tiberius about the behavior of Piso
(b) Stand up to Livilla and get a divorce
(c) Defend Germanicus's children and avenge his death
(d) Investigate the haunting of the house in Antioch
11. How does the Senate react to Tiberius's denouncement of Agrippina and Nero?
(a) They hold a long debate on the issue.
(b) They are shocked into silence.
(c) They immediately order punishment.
(d) They rise up and refuse to accept it.
12. What was the biggest obstacle to the plot to assassinate Caligula?
(a) No one was sure if Caligula was mortal or immortal.
(b) Caligula had a strong network of spies in the palace.
(c) The German bodyguards were fanatically devoted to him.
(d) Most of the people in Rome still loved Caligula.
13. What does Antonia say that Caligula did to Drusilla?
(a) Killed her pony
(b) Committed incest
(c) Tried to kill her
(d) Locked her in a room
14. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
(a) Persuade Piso to kill himself before the trial ends
(b) Use her witchcraft to kill Agrippina and her children
(c) Get the incriminating letter that Livia wrote to Piso
(d) To leave Rome and return to Syria after Piso's death
15. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) Walking about twenty paces behind him
(b) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(c) Waiting for him at the Palace
(d) Sitting in the seats at the theater
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claudius not want to be emperor?
2. How did Antonia die?
3. Who wrote most of the satiric songs and poems about Tiberius?
4. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
5. What was the outcome of Senator Gallus's trial?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)