|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Egypt so important to Rome?
(a) It supplies Rome with corn.
(b) Most of the troops come from Egypt.
(c) It is a good source of marble.
(d) The largest library in the world is there.
2. What does Claudius say about Nero, Germanicus's eldest son?
(a) He was not as smart as people thought he was.
(b) He was the only really good child of Germanicus.
(c) He was the only child to show polite behavior.
(d) He was prone to moods and easily corrupted.
3. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
(a) He was afraid of lice.
(b) Only the Gods can have hair.
(c) He was going bald himself.
(d) He thought it looked better.
4. What, according to Claudius, was a great turning point in Tiberius's reign?
(a) The Senate honoring Sejanus
(b) Sejanus banishing Nero
(c) The death of Livia
(d) The retirement to Capri
5. What book did Tiberius take with him?
(b) An encyclopedia of pornography
(c) Livia's book
(d) A history of Augustus's reign
6. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
(a) Nerva and Thrasyllus
(b) Sejanus and Thrasyllus
(c) Sejanus and Livia
(d) Nerva and Vispania
7. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
(a) To give him an appointment to the Senate
(b) To allow him to retire with honors
(c) To appoint him as Macro's replacement
(d) To send him back to Germany to fight
8. How old is Caligula when he becomes emperor?
(a) Thirty years old
(b) Thirty-five years old
(c) Twenty-five years old
(d) Twenty years old
9. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
(a) Nerva asks to go back to Rome.
(b) Nerva learns the truth about Tiberius.
(c) Nerva is killed by Caligula.
(d) Nerva simply stops eating one day.
10. What does Germanicus fear Plancina is doing?
(a) Corrupting his children's discipline
(b) Practicing witchcraft against him
(c) Undermining Agrippina's authority
(d) Stealing money from the treasury
11. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
(a) His brother's wife
(b) A hired assassin
(c) His nephew, Caligula
(d) His wife, Urgulanilla
12. What does Caligula begin to dread after he tortures Brassus?
(a) That Brassus's father would seek revenge
(b) That Jove would smite him for blasphemy
(c) That the people would begin to hate him
(d) That he would be assassinated by his guard
13. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
(b) Spend too much time with Agrippina
(c) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
(d) Get married again too soon
14. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) Waiting for him at the Palace
(b) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(c) Sitting in the seats at the theater
(d) Walking about twenty paces behind him
15. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
(a) Marrying him to Livilla
(b) Naming him his successor
(c) Giving him a large pension
(d) Marrying him to Livilla's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Livia call Caligula?
2. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
3. In a speech about Tiberius to the Senate, Caligula:
4. What does Livia beg Claudius to do for her?
5. Who is the first person that Caligula ordered killed after taking the throne?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)