|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(b) Waiting for him at the Palace
(c) Sitting in the seats at the theater
(d) Walking about twenty paces behind him
2. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
3. Which crime did Caligula reinstate as a capital crime?
(d) Tax Evasion
4. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
(a) Former Senators and their wives
(b) People who cannot pay their debts
(c) Hostages from foreign lands
(d) Prisoners of war from Germany
5. What does Claudius advise the old Sergeant to do?
(a) Compliment Caligula as much as he possibly can
(b) Never turn his back on any of the German guards
(c) Leave the regiment and never look back again
(d) Keep his sword with him during Caligula's assembly
6. What happened to Martina, the chief witness against Piso and Plancina?
(a) She killed herself in her cell.
(b) Livia sent her away to an island.
(c) She was bribed to perjure herself.
(d) She was killed by agents of Sejanus.
7. What does Antonia say that Caligula did to Drusilla?
(a) Committed incest
(b) Tried to kill her
(c) Killed her pony
(d) Locked her in a room
8. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
(a) Nerva asks to go back to Rome.
(b) Nerva learns the truth about Tiberius.
(c) Nerva is killed by Caligula.
(d) Nerva simply stops eating one day.
9. What does Caligula make his sisters do to earn their keep?
(a) Make tapestries and pots to sell
(b) Sing and dance at the theater
(c) Go out begging on the streets
(d) Prostitute themselves to wealthy noblemen
10. What agreement do Ælia and Claudius come to regarding their marriage?
(a) That they will survive Tiberius
(b) That they will divorce in two years
(c) That they will live together
(d) That they will not have sex with each other
11. What does Livia tell Claudius about himself?
(a) That he is going to conquer Britain
(b) That he is going to avenge Caligula's death
(c) That he is going to kill Tiberius
(d) That he is going to become a God
12. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
(a) That he save his money instead
(b) The equivalent in cash
(c) To marry her and make her honest
(d) That he buy more cows for the farm
13. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
(a) Nerva and Thrasyllus
(b) Sejanus and Thrasyllus
(c) Sejanus and Livia
(d) Nerva and Vispania
14. With Tiberius gone, who was left in charge of the Roman Empire?
15. Why did Tiberius allow Agrippina to remain alive and free?
(a) She was still under Livia's protection.
(b) She was the mother of his grandchildren.
(c) He was hoping she would consent to marry him.
(d) He still had warm feelings for Germanicus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonia do after speaking to Caligula about Gemellus's death?
2. What number did Germanicus consider especially unlucky?
3. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
4. What does Claudius say about Nero, Germanicus's eldest son?
5. Where was Caligula assassinated?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)