|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally happens to Plancina?
(a) She is invited to dinner by Livia and poisoned.
(b) She returns to Syria and marries the new governor.
(c) She kills herself by taking poison.
(d) She is acquitted of murdering Germanicus.
2. What book did Tiberius take with him?
(b) An encyclopedia of pornography
(c) A history of Augustus's reign
(d) Livia's book
3. What thought does Claudius comfort himself with as he is made emperor?
(a) That he will be able to restore the Republic soon
(b) That he was able to save his wife and young son
(c) That people will finally want to read his books
(d) That Livia was right about him after all
4. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
(a) Nerva is killed by Caligula.
(b) Nerva learns the truth about Tiberius.
(c) Nerva simply stops eating one day.
(d) Nerva asks to go back to Rome.
5. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
(a) Giving him a large pension
(b) Naming him his successor
(c) Marrying him to Livilla
(d) Marrying him to Livilla's daughter
6. Cassius Chærea was disgusted when Caligula made him:
(a) Get married to a young boy.
(b) Torture a young noble woman.
(c) Play horsie for Drusilla.
(d) Kill a batch of puppies.
7. Why is Piso sent to Syria?
(a) To build a new city
(b) To train the troops there
(c) To govern the province
(d) To raise more taxes for Rome
8. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
(a) He thought it looked better.
(b) Only the Gods can have hair.
(c) He was afraid of lice.
(d) He was going bald himself.
9. What does Antonia say that Caligula did to Drusilla?
(a) Killed her pony
(b) Tried to kill her
(c) Locked her in a room
(d) Committed incest
10. Whom does Sejanus arrange for Claudius to marry?
(a) His daughter, Julilla
(b) His step-sister, Ælia
(c) A friend of his named Paulina
(d) His former wife, Apicata
11. What agreement do Ælia and Claudius come to regarding their marriage?
(a) That they will survive Tiberius
(b) That they will not have sex with each other
(c) That they will live together
(d) That they will divorce in two years
12. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
(a) He pushes hundreds of people into the water to drown.
(b) He stops holding games to punish the citizens for booing.
(c) He orders so many holidays that no work can get done.
(d) He begins ordering everyone to wear the color green.
13. How does the Senate react to Tiberius's denouncement of Agrippina and Nero?
(a) They immediately order punishment.
(b) They are shocked into silence.
(c) They hold a long debate on the issue.
(d) They rise up and refuse to accept it.
14. Who is the first person that Caligula ordered killed after taking the throne?
15. What does Urgulania tell Claudius about her future?
(a) She will see Claudius become emperor.
(b) She is due to die this year.
(c) She is going to marry a senator.
(d) Her granddaughter will marry the emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Piso give Tiberius at his trial?
2. What, according to Sejanus, is the Leek Green Party?
3. Why do the soldiers need a new emperor?
4. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
5. What was the outcome of Senator Gallus's trial?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)