|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Claudius demand of Livia?
(a) That she keep Tiberius in check by opposing him
(b) That she help him to divorce his new wife
(c) That she tell him the truth about her crimes
(d) That she promise to continue protecting Agrippina
2. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
(a) His brother's wife
(b) His wife, Urgulanilla
(c) His nephew, Caligula
(d) A hired assassin
3. With Tiberius gone, who was left in charge of the Roman Empire?
4. Whom does Sejanus arrange for Claudius to marry?
(a) A friend of his named Paulina
(b) His step-sister, Ælia
(c) His former wife, Apicata
(d) His daughter, Julilla
5. What does Caligula make his sisters do to earn their keep?
(a) Sing and dance at the theater
(b) Prostitute themselves to wealthy noblemen
(c) Go out begging on the streets
(d) Make tapestries and pots to sell
6. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
(a) Giving him a large pension
(b) Marrying him to Livilla's daughter
(c) Marrying him to Livilla
(d) Naming him his successor
7. Why did Tiberius not visit his son, Castor, before Castor's death?
(a) He thought Castor was making up the illness to get sympathy.
(b) Thrasyllus warned him against making any trips that week.
(c) Livia told him that it would look bad if he favored his son.
(d) Sejanus warned him that it might be a trap to assassinate him.
8. Who does Caligula marry Claudius to?
9. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
(a) He begins ordering everyone to wear the color green.
(b) He orders so many holidays that no work can get done.
(c) He pushes hundreds of people into the water to drown.
(d) He stops holding games to punish the citizens for booing.
10. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
(b) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
(c) Get married again too soon
(d) Spend too much time with Agrippina
11. What does Claudius advise the old Sergeant to do?
(a) Compliment Caligula as much as he possibly can
(b) Keep his sword with him during Caligula's assembly
(c) Leave the regiment and never look back again
(d) Never turn his back on any of the German guards
12. Why does Claudius not want to be emperor?
(a) He knows that he will abuse the position.
(b) He wants Rome to be a republic.
(c) He just wants to live quietly.
(d) He fears that he will be killed.
13. Why is Piso sent to Syria?
(a) To train the troops there
(b) To build a new city
(c) To raise more taxes for Rome
(d) To govern the province
14. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
(a) In a villa in Pompeii
(b) In the city of Capua
(c) On the island of Capri
(d) In the town of Lyons
15. What finally happens to Tiberius's body?
(a) It is thrown into the Tiber like a criminal.
(b) It is left to rot on the Island of Capri.
(c) It is burned on the Mars Field with honors.
(d) It is half-burned in the town of Atilla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
2. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
3. Why did neither Tiberius or Livia attend the Roman funeral for Germanicus?
4. Who is the first person that Caligula ordered killed after taking the throne?
5. How did Afer escape death when he was tried by Caligula for treason?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)