|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
(a) Sejanus and Livia
(b) Nerva and Vispania
(c) Sejanus and Thrasyllus
(d) Nerva and Thrasyllus
2. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
(a) To leave Rome and return to Syria after Piso's death
(b) Use her witchcraft to kill Agrippina and her children
(c) Get the incriminating letter that Livia wrote to Piso
(d) Persuade Piso to kill himself before the trial ends
3. What does Piso give Tiberius at his trial?
(a) A gift that he claimed was from the people of Syria
(b) A bundle of letters that Tiberius wrote to him
(c) A book that he says was Germanicus's personal journal
(d) A small, wrapped package about the size of a good-luck charm
4. What does Urgulania tell Claudius about her future?
(a) Her granddaughter will marry the emperor.
(b) She is due to die this year.
(c) She will see Claudius become emperor.
(d) She is going to marry a senator.
5. What does Livia do to embarrass Tiberius?
(a) Denounces him in front of the Senate
(b) Hires an actor to caracature him in public
(c) Gives a public reading of Augustus's letters
(d) Publishes his love letters to Vispania
6. What, according to Sejanus, is the Leek Green Party?
(a) A political faction led by Agrippina
(b) Livia's network of senator's wives
(c) An event to which Tiberius was not invited
(d) A secret group of skilled assassins
7. Where was Caligula assassinated?
(a) Just outside the amphitheater
(b) In his rooms at the Palace
(c) In a house belonging to Claudius
(d) Down by the river docks
8. What does Castor promise Agrippina that he will do?
(a) Speak to Tiberius about the behavior of Piso
(b) Stand up to Livilla and get a divorce
(c) Defend Germanicus's children and avenge his death
(d) Investigate the haunting of the house in Antioch
9. How did Afer escape death when he was tried by Caligula for treason?
(a) He flattered Caligula on his oratorical style.
(b) He bribed Caligula to deliver a non-guilty verdict.
(c) He offered to let Caligula sleep with his wife.
(d) He left town before the trial started.
10. What were the spoils of Caligula's war on Neptune?
(a) Cartloads of seaweed
(b) Ropes of black pearls
(c) Lobsters and jellyfish
(d) Boxes of seashells
11. Who speaks at Livia's funeral?
12. What number did Germanicus consider especially unlucky?
13. Agrippina asks Tiberius for permission to marry who?
(a) The honored general, Blæasus
(b) Her brother-in-law, Claudius
(c) Tiberius's adviser, Sejanus
(d) Tiberius's mocker, Gallus
14. What does Caligula make his sisters do to earn their keep?
(a) Make tapestries and pots to sell
(b) Prostitute themselves to wealthy noblemen
(c) Sing and dance at the theater
(d) Go out begging on the streets
15. Why did neither Tiberius or Livia attend the Roman funeral for Germanicus?
(a) They were busy reviewing the annual tax records.
(b) They were too grief-stricken by his death.
(c) They would have been attacked by the people there.
(d) They did not want to encounter his wife, Agrippina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Egypt so important to Rome?
2. What did the oracle at the Temple of Fortune tell Caligula?
3. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
4. Who persuades Claudius to accept the position?
5. In a speech about Tiberius to the Senate, Caligula:
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)