|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
(a) Giving him a large pension
(b) Naming him his successor
(c) Marrying him to Livilla
(d) Marrying him to Livilla's daughter
2. Why did Tiberius not visit his son, Castor, before Castor's death?
(a) He thought Castor was making up the illness to get sympathy.
(b) Thrasyllus warned him against making any trips that week.
(c) Livia told him that it would look bad if he favored his son.
(d) Sejanus warned him that it might be a trap to assassinate him.
3. Who persuades Claudius to accept the position?
4. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) Walking about twenty paces behind him
(b) Sitting in the seats at the theater
(c) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(d) Waiting for him at the Palace
5. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Spend too much time with Agrippina
(b) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
(c) Get married again too soon
(d) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
6. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
7. Which sister of Caligula did he claim as his favorite?
8. What does Claudius miss most when he is staying in Carthage?
(d) Playing dice
9. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
(a) Former Senators and their wives
(b) People who cannot pay their debts
(c) Prisoners of war from Germany
(d) Hostages from foreign lands
10. Why does Claudius not want to be emperor?
(a) He knows that he will abuse the position.
(b) He fears that he will be killed.
(c) He just wants to live quietly.
(d) He wants Rome to be a republic.
11. What does Tiberius do after Livia shames him?
(a) He accuses her of murdering Postumus.
(b) He begs her to stop persecuting him.
(c) He leaves Rome on the advice of Sejanus.
(d) He cultivates a friendship with Agrippina.
12. With Tiberius gone, who was left in charge of the Roman Empire?
13. What did the oracle at the Temple of Fortune tell Caligula?
(a) Beware of Cassius.
(b) Fear the Tiger!
(c) Do not perform in public.
(d) You will be safe in Eqypt.
14. What was the biggest obstacle to the plot to assassinate Caligula?
(a) No one was sure if Caligula was mortal or immortal.
(b) The German bodyguards were fanatically devoted to him.
(c) Caligula had a strong network of spies in the palace.
(d) Most of the people in Rome still loved Caligula.
15. How does the Senate react to Tiberius's denouncement of Agrippina and Nero?
(a) They rise up and refuse to accept it.
(b) They hold a long debate on the issue.
(c) They immediately order punishment.
(d) They are shocked into silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does Claudius comfort himself with as he is made emperor?
2. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
3. What does Livia demand Claudius do to Urgulanilla's baby?
4. How does Tiberius die?
5. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)