|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
(a) That he buy more cows for the farm
(b) The equivalent in cash
(c) To marry her and make her honest
(d) That he save his money instead
2. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
(a) He was afraid of lice.
(b) He thought it looked better.
(c) Only the Gods can have hair.
(d) He was going bald himself.
3. How did Afer escape death when he was tried by Caligula for treason?
(a) He bribed Caligula to deliver a non-guilty verdict.
(b) He flattered Caligula on his oratorical style.
(c) He offered to let Caligula sleep with his wife.
(d) He left town before the trial started.
4. What thought does Claudius comfort himself with as he is made emperor?
(a) That he was able to save his wife and young son
(b) That people will finally want to read his books
(c) That Livia was right about him after all
(d) That he will be able to restore the Republic soon
5. Which sister of Caligula did he claim as his favorite?
6. Why is Egypt so important to Rome?
(a) It supplies Rome with corn.
(b) It is a good source of marble.
(c) Most of the troops come from Egypt.
(d) The largest library in the world is there.
7. What does Tiberius do when he meets with Agrippina?
(a) Promises to help her any way that he can
(b) Calls her a traitor and cuts off her head
(c) Tries to seduce her in his bedchamber
(d) Beats her senseless with a vine sapling
8. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
(b) Get married again too soon
(c) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
(d) Spend too much time with Agrippina
9. One of Caligula's first acts is to:
(a) Dissolve the Senate
(b) Declare war on Carthage
(c) Declare a general amnesty
(d) Make his grandmother a Goddess
10. What does Livia do to embarrass Tiberius?
(a) Gives a public reading of Augustus's letters
(b) Denounces him in front of the Senate
(c) Hires an actor to caracature him in public
(d) Publishes his love letters to Vispania
11. What, according to Claudius, was a great turning point in Tiberius's reign?
(a) The Senate honoring Sejanus
(b) Sejanus banishing Nero
(c) The retirement to Capri
(d) The death of Livia
12. What number did Germanicus consider especially unlucky?
13. Why did Tiberius not visit his son, Castor, before Castor's death?
(a) Sejanus warned him that it might be a trap to assassinate him.
(b) He thought Castor was making up the illness to get sympathy.
(c) Thrasyllus warned him against making any trips that week.
(d) Livia told him that it would look bad if he favored his son.
14. Why did neither Tiberius or Livia attend the Roman funeral for Germanicus?
(a) They did not want to encounter his wife, Agrippina.
(b) They would have been attacked by the people there.
(c) They were busy reviewing the annual tax records.
(d) They were too grief-stricken by his death.
15. How does Tiberius die?
(a) Macro smothers him with a pillow.
(b) He dies quietly of old age.
(c) Caligula stabs him in the heart.
(d) He gets a chill from traveling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caligula begin to dread after he tortures Brassus?
2. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
3. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
4. Where do the looting soldiers find Claudius?
5. Whom does Sejanus arrange for Claudius to marry?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)