|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claudius surprised about once Livia is dead?
(a) How much worse Tiberius begins to act
(b) How much people loved his grandmother
(c) How long it takes the news to reach Tiberius
(d) How old her corpse looks on the pyre
2. Why does Caligula start to become unpopular?
(a) He stops holding games to punish the citizens for booing.
(b) He orders so many holidays that no work can get done.
(c) He begins ordering everyone to wear the color green.
(d) He pushes hundreds of people into the water to drown.
3. Who does Caligula marry Claudius to?
4. Where is Senator Gallus when the Roman Guards come to arrest him?
(a) Returning to Rome from his villa
(b) Seeing Agrippina off at the harbor
(c) Just outside the Senate building
(d) Eating dinner with Tiberius
5. What agreement do Ælia and Claudius come to regarding their marriage?
(a) That they will survive Tiberius
(b) That they will not have sex with each other
(c) That they will divorce in two years
(d) That they will live together
6. What does Urgulania tell Claudius about her future?
(a) She is due to die this year.
(b) Her granddaughter will marry the emperor.
(c) She will see Claudius become emperor.
(d) She is going to marry a senator.
7. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
(a) Former Senators and their wives
(b) People who cannot pay their debts
(c) Hostages from foreign lands
(d) Prisoners of war from Germany
8. What condition does Claudius demand of Livia?
(a) That she help him to divorce his new wife
(b) That she promise to continue protecting Agrippina
(c) That she keep Tiberius in check by opposing him
(d) That she tell him the truth about her crimes
9. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
(a) His wife, Urgulanilla
(b) A hired assassin
(c) His nephew, Caligula
(d) His brother's wife
10. Cassius Chærea was disgusted when Caligula made him:
(a) Play horsie for Drusilla.
(b) Torture a young noble woman.
(c) Get married to a young boy.
(d) Kill a batch of puppies.
11. What does Claudius suspect happened to Drusilla?
(a) She was thrown in the river.
(b) She ran away to escape her brother.
(c) Caligula cut her throat.
(d) Caligula starved her to death.
12. Which two people did Claudius advise Agrippina to cultivate as friends?
(a) Nerva and Vispania
(b) Sejanus and Livia
(c) Nerva and Thrasyllus
(d) Sejanus and Thrasyllus
13. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
(a) Get the incriminating letter that Livia wrote to Piso
(b) To leave Rome and return to Syria after Piso's death
(c) Use her witchcraft to kill Agrippina and her children
(d) Persuade Piso to kill himself before the trial ends
14. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
(a) Get married again too soon
(b) Divorce his wife Urgulanilla
(c) Spend too much time with Agrippina
(d) Bet on the Leek Green chariot team
15. Where do the looting soldiers find Claudius?
(a) Eating luncheon in the Palace
(b) Taking a bath in his rooms
(c) Hiding behind a curtain
(d) Reading books in a library
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Martina, the chief witness against Piso and Plancina?
2. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
3. Who warns Claudius about the draining of the treasury?
4. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
5. Why do the soldiers need a new emperor?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)