|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
2. What finally happens to Plancina?
(a) She is invited to dinner by Livia and poisoned.
(b) She is acquitted of murdering Germanicus.
(c) She kills herself by taking poison.
(d) She returns to Syria and marries the new governor.
3. What does Antonia do after speaking to Caligula about Gemellus's death?
(a) Commit suicide
(b) Write to Claudius
(c) Speak to the Senate
(d) Sell her furniture
4. What trick does Caligula use to cheer Tiberius up?
(a) He suggests some new person Tiberius can execute.
(b) He tells Tiberius bawdy stories from the solider camps.
(c) He tells Tiberius about some new sexual practice.
(d) He presents Tiberius with another virgin to violate.
5. What happened to Martina, the chief witness against Piso and Plancina?
(a) Livia sent her away to an island.
(b) She was killed by agents of Sejanus.
(c) She was bribed to perjure herself.
(d) She killed herself in her cell.
6. Why is Egypt so important to Rome?
(a) Most of the troops come from Egypt.
(b) It supplies Rome with corn.
(c) The largest library in the world is there.
(d) It is a good source of marble.
7. The Senator Incitatus was:
(a) An actor who made fun of Senators
(b) The first non-Roman Senator
(c) Caligula's favorite race horse
(d) Senator Gallus's nephew
8. Which crime did Caligula reinstate as a capital crime?
(d) Tax Evasion
9. Cassius Chærea was disgusted when Caligula made him:
(a) Torture a young noble woman.
(b) Get married to a young boy.
(c) Kill a batch of puppies.
(d) Play horsie for Drusilla.
10. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
(a) One Farthing
(b) Chipped Stone
(d) Naughty Goat
11. Whom does Sejanus arrange for Claudius to marry?
(a) His daughter, Julilla
(b) His step-sister, Ælia
(c) A friend of his named Paulina
(d) His former wife, Apicata
12. One of Caligula's first acts is to:
(a) Declare war on Carthage
(b) Dissolve the Senate
(c) Make his grandmother a Goddess
(d) Declare a general amnesty
13. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
(a) That he save his money instead
(b) To marry her and make her honest
(c) That he buy more cows for the farm
(d) The equivalent in cash
14. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
(a) Giving him a large pension
(b) Marrying him to Livilla's daughter
(c) Marrying him to Livilla
(d) Naming him his successor
15. Why does Claudius not want to be emperor?
(a) He just wants to live quietly.
(b) He wants Rome to be a republic.
(c) He knows that he will abuse the position.
(d) He fears that he will be killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
2. What does Claudius say about Nero, Germanicus's eldest son?
3. What does Livia do to embarrass Tiberius?
4. What is Claudius surprised about once Livia is dead?
5. How did Antonia die?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)